Crankshaft Removal

maxv11

Well, only after 175 miles of riding my V11 the right cylinder lower rod bearing decided it was time to quit his job...Made a horrible racket noise while riding. Shut the bike down, got it home and pulled the pan and found this yummy goodness. I can also reach up and move the rod bottom around unlike the left which is nice and tight. 

My question is, does the motor need to be dropped to pull the crank? I take it I'll have to pull the jugs and remove the pistons. Hoping I can just get the crank resurfaced if it's not too bad and scored. Ive dealt with this on other bikes but never a Guzzi. Sucks big time as the weather is turning great now! Hoping I can get this wrapped up relatively quickly. The bike was running so good too! 

Cheers

IMG_2319.JPG

IMG_2321.JPG

• Sad 2

Mmmmm . It's kind of major . Go through it thoroughly . Be sincere and deliberate with EVERY step you take . and yes , remove the engine , taking plenty of pictures !

4 hours ago, maxv11 said:

Well, only after 175 miles of riding my V11 the right cylinder lower rod bearing decided it was time to quit his job...Made a horrible racket noise while riding. Shut the bike down, got it home and pulled the pan and found this yummy goodness. I can also reach up and move the rod bottom around unlike the left which is nice and tight. 

My question is, does the motor need to be dropped to pull the crank? I take it I'll have to pull the jugs and remove the pistons. Hoping I can just get the crank resurfaced if it's not too bad and scored. Ive dealt with this on other bikes but never a Guzzi. Sucks big time as the weather is turning great now! Hoping I can get this wrapped up relatively quickly. The bike was running so good too! 

Cheers

IMG_2319.JPG

IMG_2321.JPG

The motor needs to be removed and completely stripped and most importantly the cause needs to be identified. If this is a crash salvage bike then it could well have lay on it's side running for some time without oil pressure and that's taken out the big ends.

See the V11 Daytona project thread, there are a lot of bottom end images there and the crank/rods/main bearings/oiling system and sump are the same.  

Ciao

I missed a K75 BMW and was pissed off like a tied coon about it . My best friend got it , fixed the damage . Started it up and it made all kind of noi$e$ .

1 hour ago, gstallons said:

I missed a K75 BMW and was pissed off like a tied coon about it . My best friend got it , fixed the damage . Started it up and it made all kind of noi$e$ .

Yep. From someone thats bought a few salvaged bikes at Auction the 2 major moments are string lining the wheels and the first start up. Later model EFI bikes with a tip over sensor relieves some of the later stress.

Ciao 

I haven't dug into the bike yet...Hopefully will start that this afternoon but I think I will be stopped short after finding out I may need an arsenal of special tools. I may have a bit of what I need from over the years...I need to go and pickup a moveable stand I can put under the motor to wheel it around the shop. This one looks heavy :)

42 minutes ago, maxv11 said:

I haven't dug into the bike yet...Hopefully will start that this afternoon but I think I will be stopped short after finding out I may need an arsenal of special tools. I may have a bit of what I need from over the years...I need to go and pickup a moveable stand I can put under the motor to wheel it around the shop. This one looks heavy :)

It isn't nicknamed "the lump" for nothing.....

• Like 1

I made this attachment for my shop jack to remove the motor for clutch work. It gets low enough, after raising the bike a bit with a stabilizing chock at the front and ratchet straps at the rear, to roll the disconnected motor out. Then squatting and with elbows on knees, I could just lift it onto the nearby Harbor Freight dolly. Went back the same way.

Flat steel, vise, hammer, rubber/glue. Cradles the contour of the oil pan. Could be bolted instead of weld.

jack.JPG

• Like 4

The usual reason for these engines running their big ends is oil pick up exposure during hard acceleration. There is a fix for that.

As for the crank? Although Guzzi don't supply undersize bearings for the V11 the journals are exactly the same size as other models that you can get oversizes for. Cali 1100 first, second and third undersizes are readily available.

Even if the crank can be linished back to standard I would suggest getting the rods re-sized and mated to the crank.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pete roper said:

The usual reason for these engines running their big ends is oil pick up exposure during hard acceleration. There is a fix for that.

As for the crank? Although Guzzi don't supply undersize bearings for the V11 the journals are exactly the same size as other models that you can get oversizes for. Cali 1100 first, second and third undersizes are readily available.

Even if the crank can be linished back to standard I would suggest getting the rods re-sized and mated to the crank.

Thanks mate, so I actually found a like new motor on eBay. 2004 Ballabio with only 3k on it! I purchased that last night and it will be shipped here. I plan to part out the current motor or sell it as a whole if anyone is interested. I will put up a listing in the Classifieds. Shoot me a PM if interested!

Anyways...Below are pics of the damage. I am sure this could be repaired as I have dealt with this on other makes/models but honestly I wanted to do the swap. Some may disagree but it is what is best for my situation at this time. If I don't part out or sell this engine I'll keep it as a back up and have the crank rebuilt and possibly build up the motor into something sweet! 

Pete, do you still offer your plates? I feel I am inclined to install one on the new motor :) Thanks! 

IMG_2398.JPG

• Like 1