Crankshaft Removal

maxv11

4 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Yes carburettor bikes generally die on their side as the float bowl floods the engine but injected still keep running if the pump pickup is still covered.

Ciao 

so.... how long does 'it' take?

3 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Yes carburettor bikes generally die on their side as the float bowl floods the engine but injected still keep running if the pump pickup is still covered.

Ciao 

Maybe one of those kill-switch keys on a lanyard that stops the motor if you're tossed off. 

I just learned from a friend with a V7 Sport that all Guzzi (big block?) cranks have a sludge trap. I've never heard them discussed. Just a non-issue with motors that have an oil filter?

Crankshaft sludge traps work well by centrifugally trapping fine particles inside the crankshaft.  The problem comes if the bike is stood for many years, twenty or so.  The sludge hardens then loosens., if not cleared out during a bike rebuild it will block the oilways and trash the motor.  Happened to many old Brit parallel twins, the new owner buys a barn find bike, does the minimal to get it running, spends time and money on cosmetics but blows the motor on its first long run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All big blocks up until the 1200-8V's yes. No, they are not a redundancy, they collect stuff too small to be filtered. Take the plug out of a high mileage crank and you will find the trap filling with crap.

3 hours ago, docc said:

I just learned from a friend with a V7 Sport that all Guzzi (big block?) cranks have a sludge trap. I've never heard them discussed. Just a non-issue with motors that have an oil filter?

Yes docc Pete and 68C described it and its methodology nicely and here it is being installed. You end up with a hard packed ultra fine sludge in them that builds up on the outer internal face due to centrifugal forces and if the engine is old enough and esp if its a pre oil filter engine the whole crank gallery can fill up with sludge. I owned a Honda S600 car at one point and the engine in that actually had a dedicated centrifugal filter operated off the cam chain.Same principal. After you install the plug with loctite you also stake it in place just to be sure to be sure.

There was 1 particular Ducati engine a few years ago (900 EFI engines from memory) that at one point in time had issues with the plug backing out and rubbing on the cases. Engines started making metal and that was the cause.  

DSC00710

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well I pulled the bad motor today and wanted to inspect the clutch before the new one showed up. Not sure if the newer motor has the clutch on it or not. This motor has 16k on I believe and this clutch looks pretty toasty. While I am in there I plan to do all the additional "fixes" that are spread throughout this forum along with tossing in a new clutch...I actually got the motor pulled pretty quickly! Made it easier and lighter that I had both jugs and pistons out too :) The teeth on the flywheel look ok. The only real nastiness I could see was from where the starter motor engages onto the toothed outer plate. 

There is a special tool needed or DIY one made for removing the flywheel correct? but if I plan on just replacing the clutch components on the new motor I shouldn't need anything if the flywheel is still connected right? Pulling the clutch was quite easy once the motor was out and accessible. Thanks all!

IMG_2571.JPGIMG_2574.JPGIMG_2576.JPGIMG_2577.JPG

There is a special tool needed or DIY one made for removing the flywheel correct?

No. It's just 6 bolts. The special tools are for removing the clutch. You'll need them to install it, too. You may have already warped the intermediate plate and or clutch plates by not using it. :homer:

You should install a new drive on the starter , it seems like they all look rough when you look at them .

If you can get a GREAT machine shop inspect all the surfaces the clutch disc touches to see if it needs attention . You live in Ca , so you should get good machine work done there .

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

No. It's just 6 bolts. The special tools are for removing the clutch. You'll need them to install it, too. You may have already warped the intermediate plate and or clutch plates by not using it. :homer:

whoops :) I took all the retaining screws out evenly to ensure the plate stayed straight when removing. I have a a granite surface plate I use from time to time to check for warpage on other items too. I had only removed the 8 allen bolts that hold it all on. Not the 6 bigger inner bolts on the flywheel. 

You "might" be OK . Do put it on a FLAT surface and check or have a machinist ( if you're not ) check . Most Guzzi riders are some type of professional .

14 minutes ago, gstallons said:

BTW , you did a good job loosening in a spiral . Do it the same way when installing .

Cool, thanks mate. I just read for install a forum member used a m12x1.5 bolt and a larger enough but small enough washer to hold the discs in place with the teeth lined up to compress it all together for install...If not, I may reach out to someone about lending me an alignment tool. Thanks for your help!