Crankshaft Removal

maxv11

New motor arrived today! This puppy is pretty darn clean and it has the clutch on it thankfully. I feel like I should remove it to inspect and do all the other additional mods. I have a roper plate order put in so need to order up my oil pan gaskets but things are moving! Now, to finish the other two motors I need to rebuild as well :) Plus the old guzzi core. 

IMG_2627.JPG

• Like 4

You should do the clutch ONLY if you have the tools and do it properly . As in no 3/8" impact on things . Install a new breather hose from MG cycles ( or anywhere but Harper's . Check prices ) or anything else you see that doesn't look good .  Save everything .

Good luck and get every bolt tight !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gstallons said:

You should do the clutch ONLY if you have the tools and do it properly . As in no 3/8" impact on things . Install a new breather hose from MG cycles ( or anywhere but Harper's . Check prices ) or anything else you see that doesn't look good .  Save everything .

Good luck and get every bolt tight !

I am not entirely sure how long this new motor sat but on a standard motorcycle clutch that is bathed in oil if it sits for too long the plates can fuse together....Can this happen on these motors? The motor only has 3800 miles on it so don't think it it critical to open it up honestly...I do plan on doing a full check over on everything but just curious on this in particular. Cheers! 

MMMM , I hope oil is not near this clutch . If your bike sat a year or so you would crank the bike and ride it . Correct ? You are doing basically the same with this but on a different bike . T or F ?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gstallons said:

MMMM , I hope oil is not near this clutch . If your bike sat a year or so you would crank the bike and ride it . Correct ? You are doing basically the same with this but on a different bike . T or F ?

So I bought a bike that had a little tip over with 16k miles on it. and apparently a con rod bearing that was on its way out. Either from running when tipped over or just a bad bearing...who knows. I bought this new motor with only 3k on it but don't know the full history on it unfortunately. The guy I purchased it from bought this bike to use the motor for in another project bike he had but sold it instead and now I bought the motor. 

The clutch would not worry me at all as long as there is no sign of oil, as gstallons mentioned, and no signs of friction disc material having sloughed off. So unlikely for you.

I would, though, address the (eight!) common leak points on the back of the engine and front of the gearbox while it is so accessible . . .

IMG_2704.JPG

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, docc said:

The clutch would not worry me at all as long as there is no sign of oil, as gstallons mentioned, and no signs of friction disc material having sloughed off. So unlikely for you.

I would, though, address the (eight!) common leak points on the back of the engine and front of the gearbox while it is so accessible . . .

IMG_2704.JPG

Thanks mate, yeah I am planning on taking care of those 8 deals above. I really reading this on another thread! I'll most likely hold off on opening the clutch unless I can access a special too. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, maxv11 said:

I am not entirely sure how long this new motor sat but on a standard motorcycle clutch that is bathed in oil if it sits for too long the plates can fuse together....Can this happen on these motors? The motor only has 3800 miles on it so don't think it it critical to open it up honestly...I do plan on doing a full check over on everything but just curious on this in particular. Cheers! 

Actually you may want to consider checking the clutch is free. I've had a friend with a Cali III FI whom's clutch fused together in sitting just 8 months.
If your gearbox is out as well, just connect the engine and gearbox together with 4 bolts and connect & bleed the clutch lever (next to the bike) and see if she declutches. If that works, all fine. If the gearbox is out anyway, should take less then an hour and no need for special tools.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tinus89 said:

Actually you may want to consider checking the clutch is free. I've had a friend with a Cali III FI whom's clutch fused together in sitting just 8 months.
If your gearbox is out as well, just connect the engine and gearbox together with 4 bolts and connect & bleed the clutch lever (next to the bike) and see if she declutches. If that works, all fine. If the gearbox is out anyway, should take less then an hour and no need for special tools.

Ok good deal, that is awesome info! I probably should. I really liked pulling this motor, best fun Ive had in a while.....NOT. Thanks again :)

• Thanks 1

If you haven't already you should do a leak down test. The engine might just be broken in but its full of dissimilar metals. Chances are 99 out of a 100 there is nothing wrong, still its good to know. You could have a valve that open just a crack or there is some galvanic action going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin_T said:

If you haven't already you should do a leak down test. The engine might just be broken in but its full of dissimilar metals. Chances are 99 out of a 100 there is nothing wrong, still its good to know. You could have a valve that open just a crack or there is some galvanic action going on.

Good idea, I actually do plan on doing this as well. I have leak down and compression testing instruments. It's great having the motor out already. Makes most of this much less painful haha. Thanks!