Dropped the Balabio

LangleyMalc

My daughter dropped her (previously mine!) 2004 Balabio yesterday. She had only taxed it the day before!  3K,s from home at 04:30 in the morning on cold tyres and a damp road. She grabbed a handful of front brake and lost the front end at about 70 kph. Lack of practice and a failure to recognize the conditions and situation as a car pulled out in front. But she was wearing all her gear and after a slide down the road, got up minus a small patch of skin and walked away. Her jacket now has battle scars and the bike will need a few bits and some clean up, but nothing major. 

the parts list includes:

clutch lever in black

gear shift lever

left foot peg 

a new set of cans as the old one did not do too well at 70kph

a head protector as the old one did its job,

some rocker box cover bolts That will incorporate a new head protector

a plug cap in red

and some new bar end mirrors  

After that it will need a bit of paint.

anyone got surplus parts or suggestions on where to go for the parts and which mufflers as one is toast and the other has a couple of scratches from an earlier learning experience in the garage!

I am in Canada but have a US postbox in WA which I can’t get to until th current excitement goes away so have the time to do the paint job and at least get all the parts even if they are the wrong side of the border. 
Thanks in advance for the advice. 
LangleyMalc

A5E97279-6AEC-4A9F-B409-1F357B59CFBF.jpeg

FE0A64DC-3555-4614-B984-3D5A451A61C2.jpeg

• Sad 2

From your description, all of the perfect ingredients were in place for a get off; glad that your daughter came out of it standing in one piece.

Bruises, scrapes,parts and pride are all minor details; the best thing that ever happened to keep me safe as a rider all these years, was a similar accident set up 40+ years ago with an inattentive driver, her spidey senses and 360 radar should be in overdrive going forward, I know mine's engaged all the time.

I don't know the name of the European suppliers and their countries, but from discussions I've read recently on line, there are a few dealers parting out guzzis semi regularly, in England, France, Gemany, Denmark? With the low Canadian dollar, it's good time for Euro parts, as you say, shipping with CV19 might be an issue.

A couple of months ago, when I was searching for Mistral Exhausts, there was a towing/salvage yard? in the central US. parting out a V11 on EBAY, they had a Mistral crossover and mufflers being sold as one unit, they had other parts as well,,, their parts weren't moving quick, if you're lucky you might find the listing and be able to get some of the stuff that you need.

Glad it worked out as well as it did, good luck with the parts search

Kelly

Sorry , brake lever , no clutch lever . The shift lever will be scarce . Like you will probably  have to buy new . I have a pair of anodized (reddish) head protectors .

So good to hear that your girl is alright. Sorry about the bike. This V11 exhaust system has been on the local CL for a while:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mpo/d/los-angeles-moto-guzzi-v11-sport-full/7092056499.html

I have no affiliation with or knowledge of the seller and whether or not he/she will ship, but I thought I’d pass it along in case it works for you. Sounds like your daughter has a nice stay at home project to do. Good luck!

Very sorry to hear this, but the good in the bad is that your daughter is OK. As to levers, this is a little ghetto, but mine arrived with mismatched levers from a prior owner's garage or U-turn tip over. Checked into OEM replacements. Ouch!  So, I wondered if those cheapie levers on eBay would even fit. Turns out they do - just fine, and they have adjustable reach if she has smaller hands.  They went on as is, but I ended up swapping the piston contact screws from the Guzzi levers into the replacements. I used Mobil1 synthetic grease on all moving parts and all was good. About $20 to your door.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Moto-Guzzi-V11-Sport-CNC-Clutch-Brake-levers-1999-2004/172979576373?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

First off many thanks for all the replies. My daughter is a Sargeant on the road with Delta police here in B.C.  (cars not bikes!). she should have known better, but at least she had all the gear on. A bit of first ride of the season excitement, but now a valuable lesson for all of us. 
I will start pulling it apart (again) later this week and should be able to start following up on the offers of parts to buy once I get into it. This CV19 is stopping me playing with anything else right now so I should have plenty of time. I will start with Guzzigary as he is just up the road from me. 60km is just up the road around here. 
thanks again and if I can return the favour or you are passing through etc let me know. 

• Like 1

Glad she is OK! I did a similar thing on my black frame V11, left side as well, which cracked my gearbox directly adjacent the top rear mount. May want to check for that. Mine does not have the mid engine-gearbox-frame mount (well, it didn't then, it does now. And a new gearbox-_-), I'm sure it would be fine if it has it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tinus89 said:

Glad she is OK! I did a similar thing on my black frame V11, left side as well, which cracked my gearbox directly adjacent the top rear mount. May want to check for that. Mine does not have the mid engine-gearbox-frame mount (well, it didn't then, it does now. And a new gearbox-_-), I'm sure it would be fine if it has it.

Good advice on checking for gearbox mount cracking. Happened to my Sport, as well. :(

The center spine plate is fiddly to install, but worth mounting on the early RedFrame Sports. Later "LongFrames" like the Ballabio do not have the mounting point on the underside of the spine, but didn't you have to add that to your Rosso Mandello black ShortFrame, @Tinus89 ?

29 minutes ago, footgoose said:

"mid engine-gearbox-frame mount "    ???

you added this piece?

s-l1600.jpg

Or, actually, this "frame plate"? Under the spine, mid-way, connecting to the junction of the back of the motor and front of the gearbox . . .

55_pct_frame_mount.JPG

frame_plate.JPG

I am going to pull it apart this week and will check for cracks and report back. I do know that the handlebars are slightly out of line. It does not seem to have bent the bar itself but one of the mounts to the triple tree looks to have bent about 1 cm or 1/2 an inch for you lot!  Also the exhaust muffler rear mount has been pushed in about the same amount. I won’t know if it has bent the frame mounting points or just the hanger until I get it off. 
we shall see.  Needless to say it started first time post the drop.