Grrrreenie - the long and whining roar

hammershaug

Hello, V11 aficionados!

This thread is about me and my Greenie. Good days and bad days. A steep learning curve, maintenance, and later on some tuning and styling.

I bought the '00 V11 Greenie on the last day of August 2019. A friend drove me from Gausdal to Stryn, and I drove home on the bike. My first trip on a Guzzi since I sold the V65 Lario in 1995.  300 km in cold weather, rain, and sun. I enjoyed every moment, every curve.

Right now I'm doing the long overdue winter maintenance. There are quite a lot of things to fix, inspect and enhance. I have a long list.

I will be grateful for every comment.

Flickr album is here

48689479946_67d732ea97_h.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

+1 on enjoying the photo album! :thumbsup:

I just have to link hammershaug's thread "Greenie going down" that chronicles his "pulling" his Greenie into it's winter shop space . . .

5babb52be90c207b59cf8ba003b6e6dc.jpgbed27756f12df6ca38d90e3d6e0f4391.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 2:25 AM, hammershaug said:

No information or photos on the website... Can you tell me more about the transmission bracket? Yes, I have searched the forum with no luck. Thanks!

[LuckyPhil said]:

Look at my V11 Daytona project thread. Lots of info on gearbox cracking there.

DSC00824.JPG

Ciao

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

[LowRyter said]:

If you have a red ( and some black ) frame bikes , there is a shop that make them . Motiv Cycle Works . 906 N. Ann Arbor Ave . Oklahoma City , Ok. 73127

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

[Kane said]:

She’s a lovely steed!

Looking forward hearing about you and your Greenie!

When was that picture taken?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

[hammershaug said]:

Thanks, Kane, and welcome to my spot. I took the picture on September 1, 2019.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Cheers! That’s a great photo album. Such cool rides. Beautiful landscapes!

On 4/21/2020 at 12:11 PM, hammershaug said:

Hello, V11 aficionados!

This thread is about me and my Greenie. Good days and bad days. A steep learning curve, maintenance, and later on some tuning and styling.

I bought the '00 V11 Greenie on the last day of August 2019. A friend drove me from Gausdal to Stryn, and I drove home on the bike. My first trip on a Guzzi since I sold the V65 Lario in 1995.  300 km in cold weather, rain, and sun. I enjoyed every moment, every curve.

[swooshdave said]:

I bet that was a shocking ride compared to the V65! Can you tell us more about the trip? Did you take pictures?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[hammershaug said]:

Finally, I got time to do some work in the basement. Took down the sump and filter. Cleaned it. Ripped off headers and crossover. Removed the air filter box and the worn intake rubbers. Tomorrow I will remove both throttle bodies. The rubber hoses on both sides of the throttle bodies will be replaced. Then I am thinking about putting the throttle bodies in my ultrasonic cleaner... Is that a good idea?

0485DA88-041E-4558-85E3-D978C2893596.jpeg

On 4/21/2020 at 3:40 PM, swooshdave said:

I bet that was a shocking ride compared to the V65! Can you tell us more about the trip? Did you take pictures?

[hammershaug said]:

You bet! Very powerful compared to my Lario, and my 1953 Husqvarna:)
I think I have one or two few photos.  

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

On 4/21/2020 at 3:50 PM, hammershaug said:

Finally, I got time to do some work in the basement. Took down the sump and filter. Cleaned it. Ripped off headers and crossover. Removed the air filter box and the worn intake rubbers. Tomorrow I will remove both throttle bodies. The rubber hoses on both sides of the throttle bodies will be replaced. Then I am thinking about putting the throttle bodies in my ultrasonic cleaner... Is that a good idea?

0485DA88-041E-4558-85E3-D978C2893596.jpeg

[LuckyPhil said]:

To do that you should probably remove the injectors. Personally there's no real need to ultrasonic them as everything can be easily accessed with the simple traditional methods. So throttle plates and the bores and the air bleed screws and passages etc. I have a large ultrasonic cleaner bath that will fit throttle bodies and I didnt do mine. If I was going to totally strip them I would but otherwise no need I think.

Oh and believe me throttle bodies arent easy to strip. I just did a set for a Ducati and its virtually impossible without ruining a lot of fasteners. Weber put them together with red loctite. My advice is dont remove anything from them unless its absolutely necessary. 

Ciao

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

[gstallons said]:

I think there are things in the throttle bodies that don't need that kind of treatment .

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[LowRyter said]:

You might get the transmission bracket that attaches to the frame.  It the keeps the gearbox housing from cracking.  You want it for a redframe.

My guy at Motiv in OKC can sell you the bracket and fasteners.  He sells kits, you might find a factory piece but hardly available. 

http://www.motivcycleworks.com/

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On 4/21/2020 at 8:54 PM, LowRyter said:

You might get the transmission bracket that attaches to the frame.  It the keeps the gearbox housing from cracking.  You want it for a redframe.

My guy at Motiv in OKC can sell you the bracket and fasteners.  He sells kits, you might find a factory piece but hardly available. 

[LuckyPhil said]:

May as well check the gearbox mount as well

Ciao

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[hammershaug said]:

Thanks for the tip! I will check that out.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On 4/21/2020 at 5:58 PM, Lucky Phil said:

To do that you should probably remove the injectors. Personally there's no real need to ultrasonic them as everything can be easily accessed with the simple traditional methods. So throttle plates and the bores and the air bleed screws and passages etc. I have a large ultrasonic cleaner bath that will fit throttle bodies and I didnt do mine. If I was going to totally strip them I would but otherwise no need I think.

Oh and believe me throttle bodies arent easy to strip. I just did a set for a Ducati and its virtually impossible without ruining a lot of fasteners. Weber put them together with red loctite. My advice is dont remove anything from them unless its absolutely necessary. 

Ciao

[hammershaug said]:

I will definitely not strip the bodies.
I can't see any harm to try USC. As long as my precious vinyl tolerates the treatment, why not a throttle body? Don't you think? 

[hammershaug said]:

No information or photos on the website... Can you tell me more about the transmission bracket? Yes, I have searched the forum with no luck. Thanks!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

[edit: My apologies. This new forum format messes with my skill level. "Merging" is not the thing to do as it puts selected posts inside a single post.  Sorry for the inconvenience. :blush:]

[edit#2/ 26 April, 2020: Apparently the awful merge cannot be undone, so I have attempted to add back each poster and separate the replies more clearly. Terribly sorry for the mess, chaps. My bad.]

Because of the messy state my thread is in, I'm not sure who wrote this:

I think there are things in the throttle bodies that don't need that kind of treatment .

I guess it was you @Lucky Phil? My only reason for hesitation is the throttle body actuator. If this is sealed and fluids get in, I can see a problem with getting it dried up. So maybe I follow your advice and clean it manually. But there's an undeniable joy to observe the cavitation penetrate old junk...

On 4/23/2020 at 3:45 AM, hammershaug said:

Because of the messy state my thread is in, I'm not sure who wrote this:

I guess it was you @Lucky Phil? My only reason for hesitation is the throttle body actuator. If this is sealed and fluids get in, I can see a problem with getting it dried up. So maybe I follow your advice and clean it manually. But there's an undeniable joy to observe the cavitation penetrate old junk...

I believe the reply, "I think there are things in the throttle bodies that don't need that kind of treatment." was posted by @gstallons

5 hours ago, hammershaug said:

Yes , that was me .

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hammershaug said:

Stainless steel and aluminum

49809187248_d2fd5bcea0_b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did warn you.

I've never seen a SS fastener on a set of Weber throttle bodies. Lots of red loctite though. 

Ciao

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I did warn you.

I've never seen a SS fastener on a set of Weber throttle bodies. Lots of red loctite though. 

Ciao

So the screws must've been replaced by the former owner then? Not Luigi..? Anyway, no more SS screws in aluminum.

1 hour ago, hammershaug said:

So that was you:) I'm sorry about the mix-up!
Is it the throttle position sensor you are worried about regarding ultrasonic cleaning?

It is "what I don't know" is in the throttle bodies that worries me .  Why are you interested in putting them in the cleaner ?

Now , as far as the SS screws , people buy SS screw kits all the time for their bikes . The problem you have is ; the loctite red is for PERMANENT installation . It did it's job . There is red , blue green and purple Loctite .  You need to read up om this stuff and decide which is best for your application . The also have a Loctite primer spray . check it out too . 

99 % of everything I install has something on it . Anti-sieze , dry film graphite spray , oil or some form of Loctite .  . 

• Like 1

@gstallons Because it’s easy and very, very efficient? Today I have cleaned TBs manually with brake cleaner. Not finished yet. Still thinking about USC with kerosene/white spirit and green soap ;-)

Seems like @Scud did it without any problems:

It had a nice long soak in hot soapy water... and all the injector fittings visited the ultrasonic cleaner.

@gstallons I don’t think there’s Loctite of any kind on the screws for the «lower stabilization aluminum rod» between the TBs. I know a bit about Locktite. The problem I’m facing here is galvanic corrosion between SS and aluminum. I think so. 

Heat is the answer, it softens Loctite.  A large soldering iron will do the job, I always use that trick to remove brake rotor fasteners.

• Like 2