Grrrreenie - the long and whining roar

hammershaug

On 4/21/2020 at 12:11 PM, hammershaug said:

Hello, V11 aficionados!

This thread is about me and my Greenie. Good days and bad days. A steep learning curve, maintenance, and later on some tuning and styling.

I bought the '00 V11 Greenie on the last day of August 2019. A friend drove me from Gausdal to Stryn, and I drove home on the bike. My first trip on a Guzzi since I sold the V65 Lario in 1995.  300 km in cold weather, rain, and sun. I enjoyed every moment, every curve.

Right now I'm doing the long overdue winter maintenance. There are quite a lot of things to fix, inspect and enhance. I have a long list.

I will be grateful for every comment.

Flickr album is here

48689479946_67d732ea97_h.jpg

@hammershaug, is this the only time you have ridden your Queenie Greeeeenie?

As much as I enjoyed following her down . . .

bed27756f12df6ca38d90e3d6e0f4391.jpg

. . . and back up . . .

7bd3dc9b3d6d00a1343842c3d1abf50a.jpg

. . . and all the attention in between . . .

50532271452_5d72eb12df_b.jpg

. . . we are all looking forward to ride pictures from some exotic coastal location!

• Like 4

Thanks, @docc 

The 300 km trip back home from Stryn is by far the longest, but not the only time I've ridden «Queenie Greeeeenie». I had some nice trips - alone and with friends - but not very far from home.

My last trip was on 21st September 2019. A beautiful day! The sun was shining and almost no traffic:

IMG_1265

I posted this when I got home:

Experienced my first main fuse meltdown today, but didn’t know about it before now.
Must admit I ignored the red charging light during my fast ride today because I was so eager to blow some steam off on a curvy road just north of my home. Indian summer, low traffic, mountain area, clear blue sky, man and machine become one. Nothing could stop me. Not even a red light.
Well, at last, it did.
It caused the low fuel indicator to fail, so I ran out of fuel in some rural areas…
Later on, the turn signal stopped working, and when the starter motor failed after filling fuel, I knew the battery was almost empty.

(Later I discovered the fuel sensor cables were cut…)

Fast forward. Had my first ride today! A short ride, because the charging lamp is still on. I measure 12,6VDC on the battery terminals with ignition off and 12,4V with the ignition on. With engine running it rises quickly to 14,2V when opening the throttle a bit.

Could it still be the voltage rectifier, the battery, or both?

Is this the one I need?:
[Direct Regulator Rectifier V11 Naked Moto Guzzi](https://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/2006-moto-guzzi-v11-naked-regulator-rectifier-direct) 

I also noticed the oil lamp doesn't light up when ignition is on. I guess it should do that. Coincident?

• Like 2

I have been studying Carl Allisons electrical scheme of 1999 V11 and «Guzzi wiring - Simple» from  [mention=7430]Kiwi_Roy[/mention] 
My suspicion is a bad ground connection on the 12-way Amp connector under the instrument panel - or wiring to the signal lamps. Signal lamps for oil pressure, low fuel and generator have common ground connection. 
The former owner told me about the replaced ignition switch, because of «some issues...» The fuel sensor and the electric petcock wiring was cut when I bought the bike.
Coincident, or could it be a connection here?
Should the fuel sensor measure 1kohm when wet? 

49809208456_a27b92c200_b.jpg  

3 hours ago, hammershaug said:

Thanks, @docc 

The 300 km trip back home from Stryn is by far the longest, but not the only time I've ridden «Queenie Greeeeenie». I had some nice trips - alone and with friends - but not very far from home.

My last trip was on 21st September 2019. A beautiful day! The sun was shining and almost no traffic:

IMG_1265

I posted this when I got home:

(Later I discovered the fuel sensor cables were cut…)

Fast forward. Had my first ride today! A short ride, because the charging lamp is still on. I measure 12,6VDC on the battery terminals with ignition off and 12,4V with the ignition on. With engine running it rises quickly to 14,2V when opening the throttle a bit.

Could it still be the voltage rectifier, the battery, or both?

Is this the one I need?:
[Direct Regulator Rectifier V11 Naked Moto Guzzi](https://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/2006-moto-guzzi-v11-naked-regulator-rectifier-direct) 

I also noticed the oil lamp doesn't light up when ignition is on. I guess it should do that. Coincident?

And you're still riding it!

Ciao

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
Back on track

I'm back on track and everything seems okay!

I noticed a huge improvement in gear shift action, thanks to Lucky Phil/Chuck-made shift lever extender. More importantly, I have charging again. The Shindengen 847 was a good investment for sure.

A day to remember.

I wouldn't be here without all the advisory from @Tomchri @Rolf Halvorsen @docc and all you other guys on the forum. A big thanks to y'all!

The coughing at 3000rpm has gotten worse, but I'm confident that a full tune-up will make a difference. Never ever done that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hammershaug said:

The coughing at 3000rpm has gotten worse, but I'm confident that a full tune-up will make a difference. Never ever done that. 

She looks great out on the road! Congratulations and well done! :thumbsup:

I share your confidence that a full tune will make a (fantastic) difference . . .

2 hours ago, hammershaug said:

Thanks, docc! I hope you enjoyed the weekend riding your V11 as well.

Thank you, as well, for your kind wishes! I spent most of this weekend finally getting my other bike back on the road after three months. A story like yours makes my effort seem rather trivial.  Yet, isn't it absolutely fabulous to go riding on something we have been rather deeply into? You must have been just elated to be riding your Greeeeenie!  :race::thumbsup:

After a delightful ride on my sweet little (rebuilt) Honda single this morning (running from the rain!), I did take mySport out for a decent romp through the countryside (88 miles/142 km). My, my but what a difference triple the horsepower and a properly set up suspension!

I am so happy for you, now riding your lovely prize! This is a delight to see:

51244801996_d7c582ba99_b.jpg

• Like 1

Field report from the northern hemisphere.

V11 tune-up

Got some spare time this weekend, so I manage to do some tune-up.
Checked the valves, which were spot on.(0,15/0,20) Replaced the valve cover bolts - just for the esthetics. Then I hooked up the Caspers breakout cable I borrowed from @Rolf Halvorsen and adjusted the TPS sensor from 120mV to 155mV.

Guzzidiag doesn’t work with newer macOS versions, so I installed Windows 10 Pro on my MacBook.  Never thought I would mess up my Mac with Windows, but handy to have the ability to boot into Windows when you need to. I’m dreaming of an iOS version of Guzzidiag. 

I ran into problems with installing the correct FTDI driver. Thanks to «The New Improved GuzziDiag Tutorial» on wildguzzi.com I found a direct link to the executable driver: https://www.griso.org/CDM21228_Setup.zip

The rest is self-explanatory and easy to do. My CO trim went from -40 to 0.

Then the rain came… Test-drive have to wait untill tomorrow. Meanwhile I thinking about Meinolfs map...

• Like 3

Nicely done, Sir!  It will be awesome to hear what you find after simply baselining the TPS and zeroing the CO Fuel Trim. Balanced the throttle bodies?

(I was thinking about Meinolf's map while riding just today . . . :nerd: )

• Like 1

Thanks, chief!

I sure hope the 3-4000 coughing is gone after the tune-up. Balancing the throttle bodies will be done. It looks like the PO has removed the hose and plugged the intakes with a Pozidrive bolt. Why is that?

K&N RU-1780

Simply to plug the vacuum tap. After removing mine repeatedly too many times, the threads became  damaged. I went back to the brass nipples and a cap (silicone caps hold up better than rubber).

• Like 1