Angel GT 2

guzzler

G'day folks

I've run  a set of Angel GT tyres for the last 8000 k and will be coming up for replacement soon.

Gotta say i'm very impressed / pleased with them and would run another set.

However I'm interested in the new GT 2 version, but there is bugger all in the way of reviews online or magazine info out there.

The limited info seems to be they're brilliant or crap if you live in the States where you have grooved pavement??

Anybody tried them on our V11 beasties?

Interested in any feedback you've got.

Cheers Guzzler

Ps Managed to get out for a ride yesterday 150 k's of BLISS !!

Weather perfect and had the great twisty bits to myself, bike ran perfectly ( think she was glad to get out and stretch her legs too!!)

Ok, I *loved* Angels when I had the Mighty Scura in SoCal with their smooth roads. My Kid in Wisconsin hated them. Hmmm. Brought the Scura back to Indiana, and the Angels were gone in no time. Especially on the edges. The high crowns in the road and chip and seal ate them up. I've been a fanboy of Conti Attacks for quite a while. YMMV of course, but I likes em.

• Like 1

Thanks Chuck.

Actually just checked the odo on the bike and it works out I've got about  10,000 K's on them.

They still have life left but the front is now starting to follow the odd road irregularity ( slightly )  and we have a few irregular roads round here !

Cheers Guzzler

He he was  still a bloody hoot yesterday though, and that road is a little ordinary in places!

• 3 weeks later...

I have the GT2's on my V11 Sport, and I don't like the way they feel on grooved pavement. Haven't ridden much with them, but they seem acceptable on non grooved pavement.

I really did like the original GT's. 

Ken

• Like 3

G'day Ken

Thanks mate, I'm dubious about them because of this tendency on grooved pavement.I like my front end planted!

Then again we don't have much ( if any ) of it here in Victoria.  I have heard that it's cheaper for the counters of beans in government so it'll be everywhere at some point!

Maybe I'll just give em a go and see , but I too love the the original GT.

Got maybe another 2ooo k's my originals so more time to cogitate.

Cheers Guzzler

• 1 month later...

Update.

Still not much info about these eh!

Anyways decided to bite the bullet and ordered a set.They go on 3/7 hopefully.

Only one way to find out.

Will let any other inquiring minds know what I think of them !

Cheers Guzzler 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

G'day again.

Update # 2

Well headed off into the gloom Friday morning to get the GT11's fitted.About 70 kays away.

The forecast was for MISERABLE but was hoping to get away early and back before the worst of it.

Well got there before the front came through and got them fitted.It took Rob about an hour  and it was good to chat, also met the Pirelli rep whilst there.

I also got to meet a bloke with a new v7 Milano who is very impressed with it after downsizing from his Aprillia.He had the luxury of dropping his bike off there and being driven home by his wife! 

Well now for the moment of truth, I get to find out what these things are like.

Of course the weather decides to take a turn for the worst at this stage but hey temp has crawled up to 8 degrees.Yay.

Wow these make the bikes steering feel lighter and quicker.At the first    roundabout I was reminded of the time I got off my 900 Honda rolladoor and took my brothers Honda 250 wet dream out for a spin and nearly threw it on the ground at the first roundabout.Wee bit of a weight difference between the two.

Anyways by the time I had 20 or so kays on them I was getting used to that.

I can't give much of an impression as by the time I'd gotten to the 40 kays of fun and interesting the weather was pretty  shitty and there was mud and cow shit over the road in parts making life on new tyres a lesson in concentration.

They never gave a moments concern though, no slips/ slides, plenty of feel and grip!

I reckon the Pirelli rep is right in that they are an improved version of the original !

Got the feeling I'm going to love these and looking forward to more riding!

Cheers Guzzler

Ps that weather system got quite a lot worse later in the day too ( it's lasted the whole bloody weekend) but by  that stage I'd gotten home had a hot shower and some lunch !

The glass or three of Shiraz by the fire at wine o clock just made a bloody good day all the better. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

G'day mate.

Let us know what you think of them after you've got a few K's on them.

I found the very light steering a bit weird to start with especially as the first ride was in pretty ordinary conditions!

But you get used to that pretty quickly and I do like them.

Cheers Guzzler

Ps oh they do track road imperfections a little ( read crappy road works - the car does it on the same stretch too! ) as noted by some but that doesn't bother me.

2 hours ago, guzzler said:

Ps oh they do track road imperfections a little ( read crappy road works - the car does it on the same stretch too! ) as noted by some but that doesn't bother me.

Interesting observation,

I considered buying a set, but like you I ride on crappy road surfaces with a lot of tar snakes/seams and I had read that tires with an open center groove will follow seams and snakes.

It was tough finding tires without that center groove, so for that reason and good reviews went with Conti Road Attacks.

Still haven't tried them yet and tested the theory.

G'day again

I only really notice it on crappy roadworks where overbanding is present!

This is where they pour new asphalt over the surface but not over the whole road ( or lane ) so that effectively the tyre can be riding on two different height surfaces.

Fortunately we don't have grooved ( or much anyways ) roads here and only rears it's ugly head in the above situation so I'm not too concerned eh.

They are a good sporty tyre but I may opt for a slightly slower steering tyre ( maybe ) next time?

Cheers Guzzler

Ps I was tempted to try the lasertec 01 but went with Angel 2 in the end because Angel 1 was sooo good.

Also heard Roadsmart 3 are good ( there is a 4 now apparently!) and Contis have their fans on here also.

Ha ha at the end of the day guy's we're spoilt for choice these days!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was a Great fan of the original GT's, ran three sets of them on my Z's, but, wanted to try something different. Since BMW & KTM chose the Metzeler M7rr for the S1000rr & Super Duke, I put Z8's on the work horse & M7rr's on the show pony. Loved the change so much, I put Z8's on the V11. With the soft rounded contour as opposed to the high crown of the GT's, transitioning right-left-right is so much smoother. Don't get me wrong, the GT's are an incredible tire....my MultiStrada customers won't use anything else.  Just take a look at the Metzeler's. Similar profile to the Road 5's, but far better price point. Z8's lasting longer than the M7rr's, but that is to be expected.....IMHO...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

A friend put a pair on his FJR.  It was on my recommendation since I love them on my LeMans. I have the first gen and he got the new style.  He complained about a slight wobble. He went back to the installer and they rebalanced but it did not help. They then exchanged them for a pair of the earlier style and the issue was solved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1