Gearbox oil leak

Steve S

I'm trying to sell this Greenie and it's got an annoying gearbox oil leak that's putting buyers off, I removed the very back plate and the oil is coming from the next joint, before I dive in what's involved in removing the next plate behind the gears?

IMG_2056.JPG

- Removal of transmission from engine
- Untorque input hub transmission
- Remove rear cover bolts and rear plate complete with all shafts comes out.

Since it's a Greenie.. it *may* be a cracked transmission mount. That is a known issue on the early red frames. Just the same, before I would go to all the trouble of pulling the transmission, I'd clean it very well and spray it with athlete's foot powder, baby powder, etc. 

Then.. you can see where the leak originates.

I've found the leak by putting some petrol in the gearbox and it leaks out of the second joint from the back quite low down so I'm sure it's not a cracked case,

as the leak is so low down it leaks oil constantly onto the exhaust

30 minutes ago, Steve S said:

I've found the leak by putting some petrol in the gearbox and it leaks out of the second joint from the back quite low down so I'm sure it's not a cracked case,

as the leak is so low down it leaks oil constantly onto the exhaust

If you look at my V11 daytona thread it gives a pretty good look at the gearbox build up. Scudd also did a gearbox rebuild thread.

Ciao 

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

If you look at my V11 daytona thread it gives a pretty good look at the gearbox build up. Scudd also did a gearbox rebuild thread.

Ciao 

That's what this made me think of, Scud's resealing chronicle. Let me see if I can locate it . . .

[edit: Yep, here you go.}