Roper Plate Poll

swooshdave

Roper Plate Poll  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is your Roper Plate Installed?

• Yup, got the line to prove it.
    • Nope.

2 hours ago, Randy said:

I had a 1 second or so solid light on hard accelerations on the level before. No sign of it now even on mountain twisties.

Gulp. Not good. *Hopefully* no permanent damage done..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Gulp. Not good. *Hopefully* no permanent damage done..

I know my modern passenger vehicles with 6-7 quart/liter sumps and extended change intervals have made me complacent in keeping the oil "up on the stick" (some don't even have "sticks!"). Coming up on an oil change with those sumps a quart low is no big deal, apparently.

Yet, they are not some air-cooled performance motor ready to shift the volume of available lubricant dramatically aft at the whim of the throttle twist up some exciting grade . . . :race:

Makes me glad to have raked my "sags" forward and stiffened the rear substantially. No more "squat" in hard acceleration.

A new plate came with my V11. Still breaking it in, and riding fairly easily, so it will go on when the stars align. 

The design of the oil pan is not the best in the world . On vehicles , the pump pick-up is in a "dropped" part of the oil pan to prevent any kind of starvation . Windage trays , scrapers , etc. are built and used to keep as much of the oil at the bottom of the engine as possible . 

we just need to understand this bike is not made to do some of the things we would LOVE it to do .

• Like 2

We still try, ææh  :rasta:

Cheers tom.

Probably the Moto Spezial 'V' sump. From memory it deleted the oil cooler but it did have the pick-up cast in to the bottom of the 'V' so exposing it was pretty difficult.

When the CARC bike's were launched Guzzi actually said that the sump had been re-designed to prevent pick up exposure, (Although it was hidden way down in some press release. Heaven forbid they admit that the earlier design was shite!:bbblll:). The later system the pick up, although it still comes down from above, sits slightly recessed in the casting and has a cast in weir behind it to discourage the rearward slop of oil. It seems to work as I haven't heard of anybody having the 'Flickering oil light of death' on a CARC bike.

• Like 2

Deep V sump with external oil filterThis one Pete? It's  very nice but you need an external filter adaptor to run an oil cooler which is what Paul Minnaert has done. It's also got a sight glass which is nice. The other thing is on a V11 the small side stand support bolt wont work. I seem to recall Paul mentioned that the daytonas didnt have the smaller mount bolt anyway and nor does his bike.Personally I'd prefer the small bolt as well and thats what's stopped me buying one for years.

Interestingly even with the extra capacity Paul says the Daytona's still needs an oil cooler even in European summer traffic.

Ciao     

An unkown previous owner installed, verified existence when I serviced after purchase.   Thanks Mr. Roper, very impressed with with  your design and workmanship. Have never seen the light flash /solid when accelerating.   Ride safe folks! 

9 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Deep V sump with external oil filterThis one Pete? It's  very nice but you need an external filter adaptor to run an oil cooler which is what Paul Minnaert has done. It's also got a sight glass which is nice. The other thing is on a V11 the small side stand support bolt wont work. I seem to recall Paul mentioned that the daytonas didnt have the smaller mount bolt anyway and nor does his bike.Personally I'd prefer the small bolt as well and thats what's stopped me buying one for years.

Interestingly even with the extra capacity Paul says the Daytona's still needs an oil cooler even in European summer traffic.

Ciao     

And the funny thing is that the Nuovo Hi-Cam runs absurdly cool because it has a separate cooling circuit that doesn't have a thermostat!

theycouldnt run a brothel in an army camp!😂

• Haha 1

Ugh, I'm going to have to be that guy and take the bullet. What does CARC stand for? I've wondered for too long and couldn't find the answer...

My Italian is not so good, but . . .

Chiacchieroni e (And) Ridacchio Cento ( maybe not, but Italian is fun to cross up! Just read your Workshop Manual!)

[my bad translation from above: "Talkers Giggle x 100"]  :grin: