Thought I'd say Hello

So after being on WildGoose forever I thought I'd come on here, I post as Old Jock on WG, but went for a change of moniker

Don't own a V11 so what the hell am I doing here?

Well I've got a bike with a HiCam engine in it that's giving me endless trouble and may be getting another, glutton for punishement

I was attracted by the legend that is Lucky Phil, I see some other of the "usual suspects" too and some of the technical topics on here are first class

As I couldn't find an introduction section I just thought I'd post up here and introduce myself.

John

• Like 8

Welcome, John! Your SpineFrame will be right at home with us! :mg:

If you have not yet discovered The Legendary LuckyPhil's Hi-cam V11 thread, here is a link to a year of excellent journaling and sharing:

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Weegie said:

So after being on WildGoose forever I thought I'd come on here, I post as Old Jock on WG, but went for a change of moniker

Don't own a V11 so what the hell am I doing here?

Well I've got a bike with a HiCam engine in it that's giving me endless trouble and may be getting another, glutton for punishement

I was attracted by the legend that is Lucky Phil, I see some other of the "usual suspects" too and some of the technical topics on here are first class

As I couldn't find an introduction section I just thought I'd post up here and introduce myself.

John

Nice to see you join John. Plenty of interesting stuff and people here. Always help and something to learn.

You should post some images of your bikes for us.

Ciao

• Like 1

Thankyou so much to everybody, to docc for providing the link, to Phil (whose already educating me big time on the HiCam engines) and to everybody else kind enough to pop in and welcome me

Looking forward to getting to know you all

So the Red Headed Step Child that is proving to be a bit of a challenge, when she's fully clothed which she hasn't been for some time

AkElKG_U5ovFOljNJK6jposbWaD38FWOFk-KuwfH

6qVMRFkGlcoffPugJ-NGQhps76qPY_PCCRCfwi8A

The other bike shown there is a Sfida 1100 just a Sporti given the Magni treatment. Probably not his most attractive design, but eye catching nonetheless......possibly a love hate design. I've had people tell me it's an abomination and others that it's good looking (in a strange way), reminds me of some girls I went out with. I've added a few farkles to the 1100, which probably hasn't done much to improve it :unsure:

iVlFM4B5Fh7b-p0R5cUvBy_LMEzUVIHCQu6qQ76H

ws3IHiqePt-uC5l627AtLMEowMyrbyEqLnkO_IV1

John

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That Australia is such a good looking bike. From memory they were commissioned by Stilaski's in Perth WA back in the 90's weren't they? The Sfida would suit a pair of those Magni curved MV style mufflers that another member here has fitted to his V11.

Ciao

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

That Australia is such a good looking bike. From memory they were commissioned by Stilaski's in Perth WA back in the 90's weren't they? The Sfida would suit a pair of those Magni curved MV style mufflers that another member here has fitted to his V11.

Ciao

Pretty sure those are on KINDOY2's Rosso Mandello in California ?

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-16.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lol I'm starting to feel at home already.

Phil & docc, just stop it, I know about these exhuasts and they are stunning, always fancied them. Now you've got me wondering, don't know if Magni's still up and trading right now. Perhaps I'll drop him a mail

Hi Tim, well the 1100 might just have stopped leaking since you seen it.

Chuckee, no real story, posted as Old Jock on WG as it was a brew in my local, a pint of which would stun a horse.

Weegie is a shortening of Glaswegian used by residents of that other city to the east of us (capital of Scotland) and isn't a term of endearment

Phil your correct of course on the Australia (or Oz as I irrevantly know it as)

I think Ted Stolarski was a dealer and racing them in the 80s or 90s and when Magni brought out the bike it was named the Australia in Ted's honour.

2 batches built

First in 93, I think 75-80 built used a tubular frame similar to Sfida 1000s and Forcelle Italia forks. The engine was the standard Daytona Hi Cam

Second in 98, around 50 built, used the beam frame like Guzzi's Daytona and Sporti (and the Sfida 1100 and Sfida 1000 4V) and Paioli forks. The engine was a C kitted Hi Cam identical to the Daytona RS

They planned a far larger production run but Guzzi couldn't provide them with the HiCams hence the low numbers

John

• Like 1

Hey John     Welcome aboard the V11Lemans train. Your reputation precedes you.

There will come a time that I will have to crab one of my old Tontis and dive into the 5 speed transmission; it's a job waayyyy above my pay grade, but like many others , armed with patience and your instructions and guidance, that you've so generously shared, an impossible challenge becomes doable. 

My bike and I thank you for your meticulous work in putting this together and sharing it with the guzzi world http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzitech.dk/gb_en_complex-technical_gearbox-rebuilding-

I look forward to reading more of your mechanical adventures as you get deep into the blood and guts of what makes these bikes work.

Btw, Those are beautiful looking bikes.

Welcome and thanks, stay safe and take care

Kelly

• Like 2

Why Thank You Kelly that is so kind of you to go to the effort of posting up and thanking me for the gearbox article.  The gearbox isn't difficult, the hardest parts are getting these dammed nuts off the back and front after that its no harder than a Meccano set (if you're old enough to remember Meccano)

I'm no mechanic just a bodger, guy's like Lucky Phil and Chuckee are the real artisans and both of them have been more than generous with their time and perhaps other members I still need to get to know

For electrical issues Kiwi Roy is my main man and I see he's here too.

At the moment I'm looking at a low pressure issue on the Oz's HiCam engine that's being going on forever. Now I have a plan of action, based on Phil's advice. In 2 or 3 weeks time after having completed these checks I've got to make a decision on should I tear it to pieces myself or ship the engine down to a trusted engine builder and just let him get on with it.

John

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, docc said:

Pretty sure those are on KINDOY2's Rosso Mandello in California ?

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-16.jpg

Yes thats my baby..She's resting peacefully in my shop with that beautiful exhaust system the original owner installed years ago.....:-)

• Like 2

Beautiful bike & of course the pipes just look amazing the way they curve and swoop

Got any video?

It would be nice to hear how it sounds

30 minutes ago, Weegie said:

Beautiful bike & of course the pipes just look amazing the way they curve and swoop

Got any video?

It would be nice to hear how it sounds

There was a video around of my bike on You Tube ( not by me) ..but it in NO way does them justice to the way they actually sound in person..it was just start up and idle...and imho thy dont really sound good until you rev the bike a little then the come to life and sound wonderful...like many exhausts though it is very hard to capture the true sound on a smart phone. 

.:bier:    cheers!

• Like 3