Timing Gear set

Ray Sandoz

Andy - did you pull the motor just for this? Or you already had it out for another reason? I assumed the gears could be installed with engine in-situ. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scud said:

Andy - did you pull the motor just for this? Or you already had it out for another reason? I assumed the gears could be installed with engine in-situ. 

They can, easier that way.

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

engine in frame. I did pull the front wheel to get the front triangle sub-frame

out. I don't mind the extra work if it gives me a nice panoramic view of what I'm

doing. It also allows me to get in there and clean. 

I am wondering what to do about the empty holes where the OE chain tensioner

bolted on. Facing the motor, the bolt on the left I am thinking about leaving out.

the bolt on the right actually goes through the front main bearing. I think I will put 

a short bolt so I can torque it back same as the other main bearing bolts.

engine rotates freely over and over.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, andy york said:

engine in frame. I did pull the front wheel to get the front triangle sub-frame

out. I don't mind the extra work if it gives me a nice panoramic view of what I'm

doing. It also allows me to get in there and clean. 

I am wondering what to do about the empty holes where the OE chain tensioner

bolted on. Facing the motor, the bolt on the left I am thinking about leaving out.

the bolt on the right actually goes through the front main bearing. I think I will put 

a short bolt so I can torque it back same as the other main bearing bolts.

engine rotates freely over and over.

I left the second tensioner bolt out. I figure it gives a bit of oil mist to the gears, and one less thing I could worry about having left unsecured.

• Like 1

Update....engine runs good stationary. 150 psi comp on both cylinders. It will be

a bit before a ride report.

fork seals have gone father south than me. shock seals seem to have gone 

on a trip with the forks. Clutch slave won't hold pressure.

Guess I have neglected the old girl. She needs a couple of Spa days and

should be good to go:rasta:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, andy york said:

Update....engine runs good stationary. 150 psi comp on both cylinders. It will be

a bit before a ride report.

fork seals have gone father south than me. shock seals seem to have gone 

on a trip with the forks. Clutch slave won't hold pressure.

Guess I have neglected the old girl. She needs a couple of Spa days and

should be good to go:rasta:

I have the spare clutch slave for you. Just say the word . . . :luigi:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tony.wh said:

Hi. Has anyone comparison information concerning the advantage of straight cut gears, over cross cut gears. I've fitted straight cut timing gears on my cali 3, so I know the procedure. 

Tony W-H 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tony.wh said:

Just the usual engineering stuff. Straight cut take up less room, simpler to make, more efficient due to no axial load generated than a helical gear set. Their disadvantages are less strength for the given dimension and noisier in operation. Straight cut are the gear of choice for camshaft drives as most exotic engines with gear driven cams demonstrate from Honda to Ferrari to Ducati Desmosedici. 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, pete roper said:

Delete everything in your your link address before "https" . . . Also, simply "right click" on the hosted image and select "Copy Image Link" and paste into the reply.

a%3E

• Like 1

I'm working off my pad of eyes Docc. I just poke around on the screen, no mouse.

I've got a heap more pics of stripped and buggered gears as well. Some of them are pretty gruesome. The only ones I'd use are Joes.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, ScuRoo said:

If enough riding opportunities have been had & enjoyed

…are you guys planning on adding your impressions?

Made much difference?

I've said elsewhere that it's my observation that the bike starts easier, idles faster, never coughs or stalls, lost any hint of the ~3200rpm hiccup and generally runs better everywhere. That said in the environment of neglect, where I'd been sidelined by relay connections and a failed starter motor- the gears were a big improvement even then. I haven't had a whole good day at once on it yet since, but a couple hundred miles says it's great, and a *lot* of maintenance while awaiting the return of my throttle rod makes me very hopeful. It's my opinion that the stock chain tensioner simply does not hold timing well, particularly at idle and ~3200rpm. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Pressureangle for your kickoff impressions on how adding the gears impacted your V11 - hoping everyone who got this latest batch of JC’s gears chime in some feedback thereby adding up to a worthy collection.

But are there crickets?

I’ve kinda been surprised at the lack of reports post sale - & was wondering whether that silent void was a telling indication.

Maybe it’s a hint that the initial enthusiasm for the purchasing of gears had not sufficiently met owners expectations - or it might’ve meant everyone was out busy riding & enjoying their improved V11 with bigger grins!

Who’s happy - why? Who’s not - why?

Good, bad, meh indifferent - all impressions will help add to the knowledge bank.

• Like 2