Timing Gear set

Ray Sandoz

35 minutes ago, ScuRoo said:

Thanks Pressureangle for your kickoff impressions on how adding the gears impacted your V11 - hoping everyone who got this latest batch of JC’s gears chime in some feedback thereby adding up to a worthy collection.

But are there crickets?

I’ve kinda been surprised at the lack of reports post sale - & was wondering whether that silent void was a telling indication.

Maybe it’s a hint that the initial enthusiasm for the purchasing of gears had not sufficiently met owners expectations - or it might’ve meant everyone was out busy riding & enjoying their improved V11 with bigger grins!

Who’s happy - why? Who’s not - why?

Good, bad, meh indifferent - all impressions will help add to the knowledge bank.

I'll throw in another scenario. Some of us may not have installed the gears yet. I've been busy with various other projects and family stuff. Just did 12 hours of wallpaper for the bathroom... that's time I could have spend riding or tinkering. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Scud said:

I'll throw in another scenario. Some of us may not have installed the gears yet. I've been busy with various other projects and family stuff. Just did 12 hours of wallpaper for the bathroom... that's time I could have spend riding or tinkering. 

Indeed. At 126,000 miles mySport has never run better. It tried to lift the front wheel on a hard second gear shift the other day. :o

On the original timing chain/tensioner.

I'm gonna need a good reason to take her off the road for the gear installation. And decide what other things to maybe do at the time. That can be a slippery slope: valves, guides, hotter cam, high compression pistons, polished rods, supercharger, water cooling, drive chain conversion . . . :wacko:

Yet, I do have this gorgeous gear set for when the time comes.  :sun:

• Like 2

23 hours ago, docc said:

Indeed. At 126,000 miles mySport has never run better. It tried to lift the front wheel on a hard second gear shift the other day. :o

I'm gonna need a good reason to take her off the road for the gear installation. And decide what other things to maybe do at the time. That can be a slippery slope: valves, guides, hotter cam, high compression pistons, polished rods, supercharger, water cooling, drive chain conversion . . . :wacko:

Excuses, excuses, I did my gears and nothing else docc. Nike.

Phil

• Haha 2

On 7/12/2022 at 6:58 PM, docc said:

Well, just think of the bashing I'll give you at the Spine Raid if your stock chain busts and bends all your valves and pushrods. 
Just think of the bashing I'll give you at the Spine Raid even if it doesn't. Every time your steed hiccups I'll be throwing stones at you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Excuses, excuses, I did my gears and nothing else docc. Nike.

Phil

17 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

Well, just think of the bashing I'll give you at the Spine Raid if your stock chain busts and bends all your valves and pushrods. 
Just think of the bashing I'll give you at the Spine Raid even if it doesn't. Every time your steed hiccups I'll be throwing stones at you. 

This is exactly why I love you guys. None of my plausible bullshit ever passes muster . . . B)

Eight weeks to the Eighteenth South'n SpineRaid.  Waddington says, "Put the wrenches down and step away from the Sport, lad !" :huh:

3 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

You're right, of course. 

I have a corollary to Waddington;

"It ran when I shut it off..." 

Bring the gears, they'll make nice centerpieces.

Now, a timing gear installation would be an epic SpineRaid Tech Session!  :luigi::sun::drink:

• Like 1

Haha. Make sure to get that metal timing cover gasket, and plenty of beer for the spectators/consultants.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, docc said:

Looking more like I should bring some razor wire and sleep next to my Sport . . . B)

I'mma gut an Omron relay and swap it in while you sleep

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/12/2022 at 11:17 PM, ScuRoo said:

Thanks Pressureangle for your kickoff impressions on how adding the gears impacted your V11 - hoping everyone who got this latest batch of JC’s gears chime in some feedback thereby adding up to a worthy collection.

But are there crickets?

I’ve kinda been surprised at the lack of reports post sale - & was wondering whether that silent void was a telling indication.

Maybe it’s a hint that the initial enthusiasm for the purchasing of gears had not sufficiently met owners expectations - or it might’ve meant everyone was out busy riding & enjoying their improved V11 with bigger grins!

Who’s happy - why? Who’s not - why?

Good, bad, meh indifferent - all impressions will help add to the knowledge bank.

I have the same impressions as pressureangle after 2000-odd km. She just runs better. To be fair, my chaindrive probably sucked and was in need of replacement, but, hey, the gears were still being made so for me the choice was easy.

The wicked noise the gears generate is an added bonus.:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2022 at 7:17 AM, andy york said:

Update....engine runs good stationary. 150 psi comp on both cylinders. It will be

a bit before a ride report.

Thanks A Y
’runs good stationary’ is a start - but looking forward to that ride report! Three months later hopefully you’ve managed to get in enough saddle time to add in some further impressions on the impact your gears make.

Thanks VeeEleven - your note ‘She just runs better’ concurs with Pressureangle’s impressions.

But - do you recall if your valves were incorrectly gapped in any way before your gear installation??

Pressureangle relayed previously his were tight & required adjustment - so this also needs to be accounted for ie., hard starting etc., as opposed to all subsequent benefits being simply apportioned to the gears.

Pressureangle’s experience with his drivetrain lash amelioration is highly intriguing - and maybe warrants further observations or analysis by other gear recipients enquiring minds!

I’m hoping everyone who bought JC’s gears installs & are able to follow up with their impressions - adds a collective depth of experience to this thread before it merely runs cold without definitive dispassionate conclusions.

(Any comparative commentary ie., Valtech, additionally provides clarity to this threads historical value in the future).

• Like 2

Sorry ....I don't have much of a ride report yet. 

Only about 75 miles right after completion to meet Docc for lunch.

since then its been like 100 degrees down here for way to long.

-Noise/gear whine...I can't hear that much on the road. full face helmet and 

ear plugs.

-standing beside the bike idling... um ...I know what I'm listening for and can barely hear the gears against the rattling clutch and the Ti-cans.

- the hic-cup... seems better but I can still detect a little something ...not as bad as 

a hic-cup ...

I've always thought my bike ran rather well and would hold its own against most any other 

stock Guzzi.

that's all for now

Andy:race:

• Like 2