Transmission Frame Mounting Bracket on a Centauro the Same as a V11?

Kane

From all I can see, the bracket welded to the underside of the RedFrame is centered to the spine. The welded bracket is shown in the early workshop manual, but not on the dimensioned drawing!  @Pressureangle , is this frame-to-engine/gearbox plate present on the 1100 Sport-i ?

Here is a reference image of the connecting plate added to my Sport. So hard to even capture an image, let alone sneak in a roll of toweling . . . :grin:

(View looking up and forward from behind the right throttle body, both injectors and linkage rod visible):

IMG_2334.jpg

• Like 2

Nice! Welldone, footgoose!  :thumbsup:

I realize Kane's thread has drifted from "Will an Centauro connecting plate fit a V11?"  (nope) to "What are the driveline offsets of various SpineFrames and how is this accomplished?"

I found another indication that the V11 driveline (at least my RedFrame) is offset right only ~5mm:

The front engine mounts from the front subframe are asymmetric by about that amount (views from the front):

Right:

IMG_2337.jpg

Left:

IMG_2339.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, swooshdave said:

How much was the kit?

I’ve got a call in to him. Will try again tomorrow and report back once I know.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, docc said:

From all I can see, the bracket welded to the underside of the RedFrame is centered to the spine. The welded bracket is shown in the early workshop manual, but not on the dimensioned drawing!  @Pressureangle , is this frame-to-engine/gearbox plate present on the 1100 Sport-i ?

Here is a reference image of the connecting plate added to my Sport. So hard to even capture an image, let alone sneak in a roll of toweling . . . :grin:

(View looking up and forward from behind the right throttle body, both injectors and linkage rod visible):

The bracket is in place on mine, and the bike was so stock and poorly cared for when I bought it I have to believe it is stock.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pressureangle said:

The bracket is in place on mine, and the bike was so stock and poorly cared for when I bought it I have to believe it is stock.

And the Sport-i driveline is only ~5mm offset like the V11?

Here’s a question for those of you who have installed the bracket:

looking at the two top engine case bolts where the bracket attaches, at the juncture of the engine and gearbox case, the nuts are pretty flush with the ends of the bolts. So, when adding the bracket and introducing the additional 3/16” or so thickness of the bracket, what is needed to secure the nuts and bolts properly? Looking at the parts diagram, it looks like the bolt is a stud bolt that can be extracted from the engine case, and would then be replaced with a longer stud bolt? How difficult is this to do, considering the tight quarters down there? I had figured that to add the bracket would at least require removing the side covers and air box, maybe lifting the tank up. Now I am wondering about removing and replacing the engine case stud bolts, and what all is entailed with that. Can one even do this without removing the gear case from the engine case to get the stud bolt out? Maybe I am imaging it to be more work than it actually is......that would be nice.

On 4/29/2020 at 2:40 PM, docc said:

And the Sport-i driveline is only ~5mm offset like the V11?

No idea, and not enough access to the bracket to measure. I'm going to use the 80/20 rule and say Probably.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, docc said:

Replacing the studs sounds next to impossible without removing the gearbox, IMO.

Yes docc, I removed the studs on the Daytona engine when it was apart by the old method of a pair of nuts locked together and it was ok to do on the bench but you dont have enough stud length to do that with the gearbox mounted. With the plate fitted and the washers removed the threads end up just a little under flush which isnt aircraft standard and I'd rather it a thread and a half protruding but I know its not going to cause an issue as long as you keep an eye on them for loosening.

When I refitted my original studs I used blue loctite and left them a couple of turns from fully bottomed as there's tons of thread engagement in the cases but when I fitted the nuts probably due to their locking feature it broke the loctite and just wound the studs back in to where they were before. In hind sight I should have machined up a little plug to fit down the stud hole so it bottomed on something.

Ciao    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kane said:

Here’s a question for those of you who have installed the bracket:

looking at the two top engine case bolts where the bracket attaches, at the juncture of the engine and gearbox case, the nuts are pretty flush with the ends of the bolts. So, when adding the bracket and introducing the additional 3/16” or so thickness of the bracket, what is needed to secure the nuts and bolts properly? Looking at the parts diagram, it looks like the bolt is a stud bolt that can be extracted from the engine case, and would then be replaced with a longer stud bolt? How difficult is this to do, considering the tight quarters down there? I had figured that to add the bracket would at least require removing the side covers and air box, maybe lifting the tank up. Now I am wondering about removing and replacing the engine case stud bolts, and what all is entailed with that. Can one even do this without removing the gear case from the engine case to get the stud bolt out? Maybe I am imaging it to be more work than it actually is......that would be nice.

You will do exactly like I did , live with it and don't dwell on it . I know SAE says you need the width of the nut on a fastener . This just doesn't look right and I don't think two threads on two nuts is going to destroy your bike .

• Like 2

On 4/28/2020 at 11:04 AM, swooshdave said:

How much was the kit?

It’s been a while, but just to follow up:

Don has the brackets. I just received mine. $42 plus shipping. It’s not much of a kit, just the bracket and four bolts. The bracket looks great, nicely painted red! 

I’m still wondering how to get the stud bolts out to use the bolts that came with the bracket, or a longer stud bolt.

I’ll probably start a new thread to ask about how people have installed these.

• Thanks 1

I brought the paint.  I wonder if he gave me a credit on the bill?  I financed the whole deal for the plates I guess.  At least my bike is still on the road, so are some here and Don's still in business.

OK, I'm a generous guy.   You red frame guys own me a beer.     :bier:

I'm going to ask for a discount on the Desmo service on the Duc.  :rasta:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1