Reintroduction to V11 Lemans

bridge

Almost twenty years ago I saw a bike (V11 Lemans Tenni) on the cover of a popular motorcycle magazine and I thought, "that is the most beautiful motorcycle I've ever seen." I was riding a BMW R1100R at the time, quite a good bike, but something about the Guzzi caught and stayed with me. I found, and bought a red 2003 V11 Lemans in Kentucky, and rode it happily for years. I decided I need something for the mountain twisties where I'd later moved (not understanding the limitation was the rider and not the machine) and I bought a KTM 990 SMT. Now in my 60s and not well, I looked back and realized I'd never had as happy a relationship with a bike in my life as with my V11 Lemans. Last week I sold the KTM, an amazing bike on its own, and bought a 2003 Lemans from Arizona. It's being shipped in a week or so to me in New Hampshire. It feels like reuniting late in life with a first love -- I don't know why I ever left her. I'll have some questions for the forum I'm sure once the bike arrives, but for now I'm so happy just looking forward to it. Big thanks to Bruce, the seller, who has been great to deal with. Here's a picture -- 

2003_MG_Lemans2.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I so seriously love that back LeMans/ Red frame sideplate  ("Stilettos" ;)) with the red ignition wires:wub:

Nice find, bridge! 

Your excitement is palpable! :mg:  :bier:  :drink:

• Like 1

Hi Bridge

Oh, what an introduction!

I applaud your introspection - heartfelt, insightful and with a lovely hint of hard-earned wisdom and world weary resignation looking back on love once lost.

That futile sweet and sour journey of having moved on, moving forward embracing the future - and yet the yearning to feel the embrace that first inflamed your senses lingered.

I hear you man.

It’s indeed a rare event that the planets align perfectly and paths intersect for a second chance...

She’s a beauty.

Don’t blow it this time! 🍻 

• Like 4

Welcome! Also in my 60s and still have the original 1977 850 LeMans brochure and Cycle Magazine test that started the desire. Got married shortly thereafter and kids after that. Since 2008, after 11 years of accumulating a nightmare medical resumé, I decided it was time or I would never have the chance. Wasn't entirely sure which model I wanted, but found an '04 Ballabio that had been babied. I saw it. I caved. Up in NH, with those roads, you'll love it.     

• Like 1

I love your bike, but admit to being biased, I recently purchased the exact same model and color, with bizarrely a similar back story of the one that almost got away.

My low mileage 2003 V11 Lemans in black,  had been for sale locally for a few years, but naturally I waited until it was bought and being resold 4 hrs away before I decided to buy it.

Congrats on your new to you bike and welcome to the forum, you'll find the knowledge and community support here, second to none.

Ride safe and often take care

Kelly

• Like 1

That is so nice!  Congratulations and looking forward to the post about the day it is delivered. 

• Like 1

Congratulations!  What a beauty!

The same happened to me early 2003: I had been riding BMWs for ages and then.... Eureka (aka "Aha erlebniss"): I discovered the V11. I will never sell my red lady. Let the Eagle Fly!

• Like 3

Very sweet.

i‘ll add another example Of the same, as my current “collection” of 2 V11’s is because my first one i bought from a friend who figured he’d sell it because he wasn’t riding it much anymore, but fast forward a couple years and he nicely intoned that he’d like her back..... So i immediately went out and bought another one (somewhat by chance that i found the 2nd one so quick) so i wouldn’t be without one!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Welcome back :)

I too saw my first V11 Sport, in green, on the cover of a magazine in the late 90s when it was first announced... and thought it was such an attractive and unusual bike, which is what often attracts me to things others aren't.  It stuck with me, and some years later I saw a green V11 Sport parked up at Alice's in the Santa Cruz mountains, and it was even more interesting in person and thought I just had to have one someday.

A couple years later I was looking for a bike to replace my 1989 FJ1200, and although still remembered and liked the V11 Sport, I wanted a fairing for long tours and thought the V11 Sport just wasn't going to work out.  But that was when MG released the V11 LeMans.  I went to Moto Italiano in SF, test rode the bike a couple times.... and bought it :sun:

• Like 4