Persistent left cylinder misfire

Grim

9 minutes ago, Grim said:

Honestly, my coils look incredibly crappy, covered in mud and stuff. I guess the resistance was good so I left it at that, I have often dreamt of sticking some nice shiny coils on it..😌

Worth lifting those boots and seeing what is underneath. Mine was not only that corroded, but the metal connector had broken in two.

Have I asked you, lately, what relay you're running in Position #5?

1 minute ago, docc said:

Worth lifting those boots and seeing what is underneath. Mine was not only that corroded, but the metal connector had broken in two.

Have I asked you, lately, what relay you're running in Position #5?

I found some Panasonic CM1-R-12V

That seemed to for the bill. I see Omons might be available from China now.

7 minutes ago, Grim said:

I found some Panasonic CM1-R-12V

That seemed to for the bill. I see Omons might be available from China now.

Ah, yeah, I remember now.  Running (even a good quality) 20 amp relay in a circuit pulling 22.5 amps can become an issue.  The G8HE OMRON is 35 amps NO, IIRC.

I realize you're looking for something specific to the left cylinder, but a general problem with the Fuel Injection/Ignition system could be suspect as well.  Perhaps just swapping Rely #5 for #4 (the ECU real is pretty understressed) is worth a try and easy. Also, there are some nefarious spade connectors beneath the fuse block that feed the FI/Ignition through fuses #1 and #2:

(The fuse block will just pry up out of the rubber mounts without messing with the fasteners.)

gallery_328_223_160743.jpeg

• Like 1

Is this the code for the Omrons?

G8HE-1C7T-R1-DC12

It seems they are on eBay now, they were not available last year when I looked.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Grim said:

Is this the code for the Omrons?

G8HE-1C7T-R1-DC12

It seems they are on eBay now, they were not available last year when I looked.

Correct. True High Current micro-ISO relays.

1 hour ago, docc said:

Correct. True High Current micro-ISO relays.

It seems that Mopar uses these in a lot of Jeeps and some of their cars. Omron? Made in USA? 5 for less than $30? Hard to believe.

High Current Relays

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, po18guy said:

It seems that Mopar uses these in a lot of Jeeps and some of their cars. Omron? Made in USA? 5 for less than $30? Hard to believe.

High Current Relays

Yeah, like,

"Hey, hey, bud - gotch'yer relays rat'chere. Need a sprang?

You needs a sprang. Gotcha covered, bud . . ."

IMG_6417.jpg

• Like 3

The sad question is whether a Chrysler part will make a Guzzi more reliable...

EDIT: OK, look at this: Omron-labelled relays from China marked "MADE IN USA"

eBay item 123718429330

Therefore, disregard the above.

12 hours ago, po18guy said:

High Current Relays

I'll go out on a limb and call this legitimate. I spent time on Omron's website, they do make these but you can only have them if you're an OEM automotive concern- probably at least a tier 1 supplier. So if I was that and could order them, I would, since they have a purchasing requirement but no apparent limitation on subsequent usage. They probably have a minimum order quantity of 500 or something.

Oh and West Bloomfield is in the heart of Mopar territory.

one last point, it's not 5/$30, it's *each*. bleah

Just a heads up. 

Do not use a locknut on your adjustment rod....🙄

So I put this locknut on last time because I didn't trust the plastic nut not to move, but I just got everything in sync, left the bit running and as I held the plastic but in place and tightened my little locknut, I watched the sync go off by one vacuum inch. I guess it must squeez the nylon washer and pull the rod through a touch.

Jeez.

I did go over the intake rubbers again and do the valves yet again (using my tiny German 3.5mm spanner).

Well even with everything synced I need air screws out half a turn to make it idle with Meinhof's map, I didn't use the wacky sounding valve clearances though .003 for both?!

My idle still ends up at about 590mv.

But, the left is not missing, which is a win I'm my book!

• Like 2

True the "Dave Richardson" Lock Nut makes the synch knob a little more fiddly. It's much like holding the valve adjustment while cinching that lock nut. I do it while watching the balance tool to make sure it doesn't change.

There is probably nothing wrong with using a little air bypass to get your outcome. Sounds like a success to me! :luigi:

And you are not the first to express some concern over the unusually loose valve lash listed . . .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Grim said:

Just a heads up.

Well even with everything synced I need air screws out half a turn to make it idle with Meinhof's map, I didn't use the wacky sounding valve clearances though .003 for both?!

My idle still ends up at about 590mv.

But, the left is not missing, which is a win I'm my book!

I have learned that a full turn is a good basic setting. Works fine in my case - but the ECU has an unreadable sticker over the  OEM label, so was probably re-flashed, but how or by whom I cannot say.

18 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

I'll go out on a limb and call this legitimate. I spent time on Omron's website, they do make these but you can only have them if you're an OEM automotive concern- probably at least a tier 1 supplier. So if I was that and could order them, I would, since they have a purchasing requirement but no apparent limitation on subsequent usage. They probably have a minimum order quantity of 500 or something.

Oh and West Bloomfield is in the heart of Mopar territory.

one last point, it's not 5/$30, it's *each*. bleah

There may be hope. From the listing, which is a little confusing, but he is selling lots of 5 for some reason (heh heh...)

Lot of 5 PCS Mopar/Ormon G8HE-1C7T-R1-DC12 High Current Relay Dodge Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Ram 12 VDC 40 A G8HE1C7TR1DC12

New. Unused Surplus. No package. From bulk package. As seen on pictures. Actual item on pictures.

Quantity: Lot of 5 PCS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, po18guy said:

There may be hope. From the listing, which is a little confusing, but he is selling lots of 5 for some reason (heh heh...)

Good eye, or I'm going senile. I guess I'll have to stock a few.

7 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

Good eye, or I'm going senile. I guess I'll have to stock a few.

buy quick before Mopar fires the seller for lunchboxing those relays!

• Haha 3