Alternative Replacement for Marelli BAE 850 Coils?

Weegie

Just wondered if anybody put anything different onto their bikes in place of the stock BAE 850 coils.

I'm relocating the coils from their original position up at the front of the bike in an attempt to install a larger oil cooler on a Magni Australia (Hi Cam engine identical to the Daytona RS and Centauro). The only suitable place I can find is at the rear of the bike above where the rear shock is.

They are going to be a bit of pain to fit due to their shape and one has a broken shroud on the LV plug, so I thought about replacing them

They work well enough but measuring primary resistance I got 0.6 Ohms which is very low.

John

No Dave

I tried searching and couldn't find any spec sheets, all I can measure would be the Primary and secondary coils, but they seem a bit of a mystery

It's not a biggie it was just a thought that perhaps somebody had replaced a set with Dynas or the like

John

Primary for normal coils that I'm used to on Tontis and the like are usually a lot higher 5 Ohms, Guzzis don't need really fast saturation time AFAIK.

There is still the perrenial threads about Dynas burning out with 3.0 Ohm coils on the older bikes

However perhaps these coils are a different design but with no information I haven't a clue.

Seems though a lot of modern coils seem to have lower primaries.

• Thanks 1

Closing this out as it's not going anywhere

I got a spare set of BAE 850s off a Ducati from the Bay of Fleas, cost me as much to ship over the pond as the price of the coils, but at least I've got a couple of spares

Should you need them, don't limit your search to Guzzis, Ducati used them and probably some of the other Italian suspects to

I'll wait until the replacements arrive and when they do I'll measure all 4 primary and secondary then post them up

• Thanks 1

OEM

Primary 0.6, 0.63 Ohm

Secondary 3.172, 3.188 K Ohm

Post the Ducati pair here when they arrive

2 hours ago, Weegie said:

OEM

Primary 0.6, 0.63 Ohm

Secondary 3.172, 3.188 K Ohm

Post the Ducati pair here when they arrive

Pretty much the same as your existing coils, then?

Hi docc

No these are the originals that I tested and posted up.

The Ducati coils have yet to arrive. Not holding my breath judging by the state of both US and UK postal services

Hoping the Ducati coils will be identical they are the same Marelli BAE 850AK as used by Guzzi

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Closing this out with the requested info as the Ducati coils arrived today, all four of the coils tested are Marelli BAE 850 AK

OEM (coils that are in the bike)

Primary 0.60, 0.63 Ohm

Secondary 3.172, 3.188 k Ohm

Ducati Coils

Primary 0.60, 0.59 Ohms

Secondary 3.195, 3.168 k Ohm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1