V11 Transmission Tapping.

Bob Maynard

My 2001 V11 trans has started ticking or tapping, somewhat intermittently. Stethoscope probe shows sound coming from right side of trans.  Varies slightly with clutch engagement/ disengagement, and does not seem to be coming from clutch/flywheel area. Draining the oil did not show anything terrible yet. Would I be correct in assuming this is most likely the flexible hose coupling and dog sliders, confirming what Aprillia says that no recall work has been performed on this bike. Could it be the speedometer drive?
More importantly, I’d appreciate any diagnostic tips and tips on removing the trans. Any recommendations for trustworthy repair shops. My most convenient shop is Cadre Cycle down in Cincinnati, I could carry the trans there on the back of my FJR eliminating shipping. Any experience with them?

Thanks, Bob

Whether it’s the recall issue or not, you should get the recall work done, it’s still active, so it will be covered by Piaggio. Finding a shop that will make that effort and is capable of doing it will be more of a problem.

It’s a big job, everything aft of the motor has to come off. My invoice had 9 hours labor estimated, and the mechanic hadn’t done one for years. This was 7 years ago, so you see the issue. 

The Speedo drive cable can make a mild clicking sound after it snaps, but that doesn’t sound like this is it.

1 hour ago, JBBenson said:

Whether it’s the recall issue or not, you should get the recall work done, it’s still active, so it will be covered by Piaggio. Finding a shop that will make that effort and is capable of doing it will be more of a problem.

It’s a big job, everything aft of the motor has to come off. My invoice had 9 hours labor estimated, and the mechanic hadn’t done one for years. This was 7 years ago, so you see the issue. 

The Speedo drive cable can make a mild clicking sound after it snaps, but that doesn’t sound like this is it.

Look up the recall and see if it's applicable to your bike.Guzzi_transmission_recall.pdf

Ciao

2 hours ago, Bob Maynard said:

My 2001 V11 trans has started ticking or tapping, somewhat intermittently. Stethoscope probe shows sound coming from right side of trans.  Varies slightly with clutch engagement/ disengagement, and does not seem to be coming from clutch/flywheel area. Draining the oil did not show anything terrible yet. Would I be correct in assuming this is most likely the flexible hose coupling and dog sliders, confirming what Aprillia says that no recall work has been performed on this bike. Could it be the speedometer drive?
More importantly, I’d appreciate any diagnostic tips and tips on removing the trans. Any recommendations for trustworthy repair shops. My most convenient shop is Cadre Cycle down in Cincinnati, I could carry the trans there on the back of my FJR eliminating shipping. Any experience with them?

Thanks, Bob

How bad is this?  I'd hate to listen to a V11 gearbox with a stethoscope at idle. That would be scary.

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.facebook.com/bob.may.31521/timeline?lst=100005260004144%3A100005260004144%3A1589428330

Here’s a video, a Little amplified by my phone. Inspection plug in or out makes no difference, tapping is primarily coming from case below Speedo drive.

It also barks like a Doberman every now and then.

55 minutes ago, Bob Maynard said:

https://www.facebook.com/bob.may.31521/timeline?lst=100005260004144%3A100005260004144%3A1589428330

Here’s a video, a Little amplified by my phone. Inspection plug in or out makes no difference, tapping is primarily coming from case below Speedo drive.

It also barks like a Doberman every now and then.

If you rapidly disengage and reengage the clutch does the noise change? IE quickly as you can pullthe clutch lever all the way to the bar and let it out again. Did you have the revs elevated for that sound clip? if not the idle sounds really high.

Ciao  

I'm not hearing anything very unusual. Hard to tell from the video.

I think those sounds you mention are coming from the exhaust. They have a resonance that makes me think that.

Does it do it on the other side as well?

My most convenient shop is Cadre Cycle down in Cincinnati, I could carry the trans there on the back of my FJR eliminating shipping. Any experience with them?

Enzo at Cadre is a stand up guy. I'm not a customer, but I know many that are. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bike from him or have service done.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 12:59 AM, Lucky Phil said:

If you rapidly disengage and reengage the clutch does the noise change? IE quickly as you can pullthe clutch lever all the way to the bar and let it out again. Did you have the revs elevated for that sound clip? if not the idle sounds really high.

Ciao  

Yes, the tapping changes (lessens or disappears) but sometimes it takes several dis-reengage cycles to lessen the noise, which then comes back after revving up to about 3k a couple of times.  The noise also varies in intensity. First time I noticed it I thought it was just a loose valve tapping, other times since then it gets fairly loud.

The stethoscope shows tapping loudest on case area below speedometer drive, but I can hear it quieter on other side of transmission.  Cannot hear it at back of block ahead of flywheel.

Tachometer shows 750 rpm. It’s been my intention to do a ‘decent tune up’ this spring, but covid, cold weather(snow in May?) and tapping noise delayed that. Hopefully the software will show how accurate that gauge is.

On 5/13/2020 at 10:33 PM, Lucky Phil said:

Look up the recall and see if it's applicable to your bike.Guzzi_transmission_recall.pdf

Ciao

One of the first things I did, then called Aprillia NA customer service, was told there were no applicable recalls on this bike. Printed out your pdf just in case, and I may email my request just to have response recorded. 
Thanks.

3 hours ago, Bob Maynard said:

Yes, the tapping changes (lessens or disappears) but sometimes it takes several dis-reengage cycles to lessen the noise, which then comes back after revving up to about 3k a couple of times.  The noise also varies in intensity. First time I noticed it I thought it was just a loose valve tapping, other times since then it gets fairly loud.

The stethoscope shows tapping loudest on case area below speedometer drive, but I can hear it quieter on other side of transmission.  Cannot hear it at back of block ahead of flywheel.

Tachometer shows 750 rpm. It’s been my intention to do a ‘decent tune up’ this spring, but covid, cold weather(snow in May?) and tapping noise delayed that. Hopefully the software will show how accurate that gauge is.

Perhaps clutch plate clatter. Especially if it changes clutch in and out. And with the idle that low it is going to slap around more. if you hold the rpm up to around 1100 does the clatter quiet down?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob Maynard said:

The twin clutch plate unit on my old engine would rattle at idle just like yours and and the quick clutch "flick" would reduce it about 50% Its just allowing the intermediate plate and the friction plate splines to unalign  themselves and take up some of the backlash in the splines.

If your bike isn't affected by the recall then you dont have an issue in that regard. It's easy to get focused on a normal noise that you haven't noticed before,happens to me sometimes. Your bike sound like its way above 750 rpm to me, might just be the recording and of course TB balance makes a difference in clutch rattle   

Ciao 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, docc said:

Perhaps clutch plate clatter. Especially if it changes clutch in and out. And with the idle that low it is going to slap around more. if you hold the rpm up to around 1100 does the clatter quiet down?

Yes.

Ciao