V11 Transmission Tapping.

Bob Maynard

5 hours ago, Bob Maynard said:

Well, I emailed (thru their websites) both Aprilia Customer Care and Moto Guzzi Customer Care and MG Customer Care responded:

“Thank you for reaching out to Piaggio Group Americas, Inc. – Moto Guzzi Customer Care with your question about any open recalls on your bike.  When checking in our system this VIN has no open campaigns.  Now this bike appears to be a 2001 model and Piaggio did not own Moto Guzzi until 2004.  When looking I do see that a flexible coupling hose was replaced back in March of 2004. “

That’s reassuring,  and if you’d like to know the contact information for this person, I’d be glad to pm or email that to you. I’m hesitant to just publish that. It’s best to use their website, and I did mention my concern about a rear wheel lockup when I filled out the form.

Weasels! It sounds like what they (Piaggio Group lawyers) are saying, in effect, is "Wasn't ours, didn't own it, don't hafta' fix it. Piaggio or Bart Simpson?

Out of curiosity, how do I find out in Europe whether this recall was done on my 2001 V11?

Vehicles involved in the recall campaign.
This Recall Campaign involves the entire production of the following vehices:

a)KR V11 SPORT connecting rod, spring drive and moveable hose:from frame number ZGUKR0000XM111112 to ZGUKR0000YM112130
b)KR and KS V11 SPORT spring drive and moveable hose:
from frame number ZGUKR0000YM112131 to ZGUKR00001M114639
from ZGUKS00001M111111 to ZGUKS00001M111147
from ZGUKS00001M211111 to ZGUKS00001M211162

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

So my original transmission is in the part B recall. How do I find out whether this has been performed or not?
And if it hasn't, anything I can still claim at Guzzi?

The kit B I can't find, the separate parts add up to 280eur.

2 hours ago, gstallons said:

You got me on y or n on the recall fact . Don't take the chance , if your on top of things DIY !

Problem is you cant buy the mod kit anymore. I'm not even sure if you can buy the individual components for the shock damper and it needs a special tool to disassemble. If you can buy the "coupling hose" parts and the drive sleeves they are expensive. At least from TLM they are as I see them advertised on ebay from time to time.

Ciao 

9 hours ago, gstallons said:

You got me on y or n on the recall fact . Don't take the chance , if your on top of things DIY !

My thoughts as well, but IF you cal already find the parts, they go over 300eur.

6 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Problem is you cant buy the mod kit anymore. I'm not even sure if you can buy the individual components for the shock damper and it needs a special tool to disassemble. If you can buy the "coupling hose" parts and the drive sleeves they are expensive. At least from TLM they are as I see them advertised on ebay from time to time.

Ciao 

Yesterday I browsed the parts, I found all but one at Stein-Dinse, the other one on a universal parts site. Total sum of 300eur is a lot, especially if the mod may already have been completed...

So how do I find out?

So my original transmission is in the part B recall. How do I find out whether this has been performed or not?
And if it hasn't, anything I can still claim at Guzzi?
The kit B I can't find, the separate parts add up to 280eur.

Maybe you contact Moto Guzzi? Probably they register al the bikes they modified with the new parts.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

a lot of assumptions here....If it was done at a MG shop, then there should be a record of it.There was paper work to get the replacement parts and paper work to be filed when the job was complete. Perfect world. I hope this is the case.

The reality is that over the years I have actually seen these kits on eBay..

there is really no way of knowing even looking at the parts side by side.

I have the special tools if needed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Bob

Maybe this thread can give you tips on possible cause of the noise (tapping) in your bike. I think your bike sounds the same as my did. The solution to my problem can be read on page three in the thread.

Good luck!

// Jörgen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2020 at 11:02 AM, andy york said:

a lot of assumptions here....If it was done at a MG shop, then there should be a record of it.There was paper work to get the replacement parts and paper work to be filed when the job was complete. Perfect world. I hope this is the case.

The reality is that over the years I have actually seen these kits on eBay..

there is really no way of knowing even looking at the parts side by side.

I have the special tools if needed

Okay Andy, I’ve got to ask, was your FJ ever hit by a dog driving a pickup truck?

• Confused 1

Thanks for the link Jorgen. 
I’ve read the posts stating ‘sounds normal’ and watched a couple of videos where the V11 sounds just like mine, so I’ve decided to live with it and get on to the normal maintenance this bike needs.  And hoping Andy replies to post above.

Bob

• Like 1