V11 Transmission Tapping.

Bob Maynard

18 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Ok, had to listen. Other than the dog wanting some attention.. sounds normal to me.

Yes Chuck, I tend to agree. I must say the RAM clutch on the new engine is quiet as a mouse, engaged or disengaged.

Ciao

• Like 1

I’d like to thank all that replied, the noise I’m hearing does appear to go away after a couple of quick clutch lever “flicks”. It’s hard to tell if it quiets down when increasing revs slightly as overall clatter, exhaust tone, and my poor hearing discrimination blend all together.

Thanks for reducing my anxiety level down to near normal. Now to go for a ride,  it’s 70f and sunny.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Kane said:

Is there a way to tell if one’s bike has had the transmission recall done to it?

Assuming it's within the VIN range for a recall, I'm not 100% sure. The ecu on my bike had a paper sticker over the original with KR-V11 Sport 9F printed on it. I "suspect" this may be an indication the recall was done although nothing on that sticker seems to relate.

Ciao

8 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Assuming it's within the VIN range for a recall, I'm not 100% sure. The ecu on my bike had a paper sticker over the original with KR-V11 Sport 9F printed on it. I "suspect" this may be an indication the recall was done although nothing on that sticker seems to relate.

Ciao

Never heard of this before. That would be awesome to verify. But how?

1 hour ago, docc said:

Never heard of this before. That would be awesome to verify. But how?

I've done a search of those decal markings docc but cant align anything. Having said that my bike also has the original ecu reflashed somewhere between its manufacture and late 2010 maybe the decal is for that. cars usually have a decal applied after a recall. My bike had the transmission recall done but didnt need the rods. BTW I read the workscope and parts list for the recalls and they actually required the whole rod and bolts to be replaced. I thought it was just the rod bolts,but no rods as well.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Is there a way to tell if one’s bike has had the transmission recall done to it?

What I did was to call Aprillia USA Customer Care and give the man my vin. He quickly replied that there were no recalls on my bike. This was after the onset of the covid 19 outbreak, and I had doubts that the check was thorough. I’ve since filled out the ‘request for recall information’ form on their website, I’m now waiting for a reply. I’ll feel better having a record of my request and their reply.

As far as checking vin vs the recall pdf, are the last six digits what identifies recall status, and where can I find the date of manufacture on the bike?

Another thing, flicking the clutch lever when the engine is hot after riding does not reduce the tapping noise, it’s louder and constant, unless the lever is pulled in and held in, which quiets it down. Is that consistent with clutch chatter?

Thanks again for the previous replies, btw, I’ve now found the exhaust leaks at the Ti cans. I don’t like the angle they’re mounted at, does anybody have the longer passenger footpeg brackets available? Or their measurements?

3 hours ago, Bob Maynard said:

....As far as checking vin vs the recall pdf, are the last six digits what identifies recall status, and where can I find the date of manufacture on the bike?....

Bob, here’s a link to a page that brakes down how to read the Moto Guzzi VIN numbers:

https://www.mgcn.nl/database/mg-framenummers

According to this, yes, the last six digits are the serial number. My bike falls somewhere in the middle of the range of serial numbers in the recall notice. My bike runs great, but the recall notice is concerning. These are twenty-year-old bikes. I wonder how many MG caught and serviced when the recall came out in 2003, how many have gone unrecalled, and if there have been any cases of the problem described in the recall notice. 

On 5/15/2020 at 1:56 PM, docc said:

Perhaps clutch plate clatter. Especially if it changes clutch in and out. And with the idle that low it is going to slap around more. if you hold the rpm up to around 1100 does the clatter quiet down?

At only 750 RPM, that trans input shaft (cam chain and everything else that rotates) is accelerating and decelerating, much more rapidly - with alternating contact surfaces being impacted, with each cylinder firing event. Deep thinker Kevin Cameron at Cycle World writes of this. As I see it, far better to use the (L) idle screw to get that back up to 1050-1100 or so. This "clanking" can be heard from any internal combustion engine once operating RPM falls below design parameters. For now, raising the idle would seem to be the easiest way to quiet the whole mess down.

@Bob Maynard, the date of manufacture is inscribed on the headstock plate on the left side of the bike. You might have to push some wiring out of the way to see it.

@Kane, I definitely had an affected gearbox. At just over 25,000 miles it began finding false neutrals at bad times (like a 1->2 or 2-> 1 shift in switchbacks).  No one really knew anything much about the 6speeder in those days and there were plenty of opinions that I should just go back to Hondas and turn in my ManCard. B) But the inquiries led me to this amazing community, Moto Guzzi replaced my entire gearbox (through the efforts of my dealer), and the recall appeared shortly thereafter.

+1 on po18guy's recommended getting the idle speed up. Time for a "Decent Tune-up!" :luigi:

If there is a recall on yours, for sure do it. But at this stage in the game it would be pretty rare if it hasn't already been done. The wifes red frame V11 had the recall done ages ago. It had no issues before the recall was done, and really we saw no change in operation. But there was a good safety reason to do the recall as I understand it.

Beyond that, making noise idling in neutral isn't something I would worry about. Perhaps there is more to this, but if it only makes funny noises in neutral that is normal. I agree with @po18guy

On 5/27/2020 at 7:26 PM, Kane said:

Well, I emailed (thru their websites) both Aprilia Customer Care and Moto Guzzi Customer Care and MG Customer Care responded:

“Thank you for reaching out to Piaggio Group Americas, Inc. – Moto Guzzi Customer Care with your question about any open recalls on your bike.  When checking in our system this VIN has no open campaigns.  Now this bike appears to be a 2001 model and Piaggio did not own Moto Guzzi until 2004.  When looking I do see that a flexible coupling hose was replaced back in March of 2004. “

That’s reassuring,  and if you’d like to know the contact information for this person, I’d be glad to pm or email that to you. I’m hesitant to just publish that. It’s best to use their website, and I did mention my concern about a rear wheel lockup when I filled out the form.