Brake bleeding using "Speed Bleeder "

Vic

7 hours ago, po18guy said:

Strangely, DOT 5.1 is not silicone, is still glycol-based and compatible with DOT 4. The numbering system is very confusing. In my mind, what is needed is a bleed nipple pointing straight up on the top banjo fitting, which is the high point and which traps air. 

You better do some research , DOT 2,3,4 and 5.1 are compatible . DOT 5 is silicone base . 

I have some excellent British SS banjo bolts with bleed nipples. Problem: The circular cavity in the banjo "fitting" rises above the bleed nipple. Unless bleeding fluid flow is rapid so as to carry bubbles along with it, there is substantial chance that some air remains trapped in that bit of cavity in the banjo fitting itself. For that reason, some F1 teams have employed banjo fittings with a vertical bleed nipple - no place for air to hide.  

13 hours ago, gstallons said:

You better do some research , DOT 2,3,4 and 5.1 are compatible . DOT 5 is silicone base . 

Is that not what I just said? I'm confused.

53 minutes ago, po18guy said:

...  vertical nipple  . . . no place . . . to hide.  

This has always been my personal preference. YMMV  .  .  .  B)

• Like 1

Don''t make me re-post that classic image of the RedFrame Green V11 Sport with matching attire and Lucite stilettos to emphasize the proper orientation . . .

This is a Technical Topic, after all. And The Moderator is always lurking . . .  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, po18guy said:

Is that not what I just said? I'm confused.

You're correct , I didn't see the  .1 . I am working 4 weeks of nights and I am more incoherent than normal .

• Haha 3

What was it about bleeding our hydraulics? Epic thread drift . . .

"Don't make the big, gold lady spank your bacon slicer!"

b8087ccf7ff8350584c7b4635f80a37f.jpg

• Like 1

Back on topic, I must agree that purging old hydraulic fluid is best for our V11 every year or so ( I try for every tire change).  Yet, dragging the master cylinders through the entire range has not been best method. Very interested in this:

https://www.motiveproducts.com/products/power-bleeders-power-bleeders-domestic-bleeder-kits-power-bleeders-import-bleeder-kits-power-bleeders-single-adapter-bleeder-kit-power-bleeders-classic-car-and-marine-kits

0100RP_1024x1024.jpg?v=1476811593

Can we get caps to fit our clutch and rear brake, as well as the front master reservoir?

7 hours ago, gstallons said:

You're correct , I didn't see the  .1 . I am working 4 weeks of nights and I am more incoherent than normal .

Uff da! After 20 chemotherapy and biological drugs over 12 years, I have a T-shirt that says: "I have chemo-brain. What's your excuse?"

BTW, I prefer vacuum bleeders over power bleeders. A vacuum will expand any trapped air bubbles, making them more likely to come out.  Pressure will compress the bubbles, making them more likely to trap in corners.

11 hours ago, bbolesaz said:

BTW, I prefer vacuum bleeders over power bleeders. A vacuum will expand any trapped air bubbles, making them more likely to come out.  Pressure will compress the bubbles, making them more likely to trap in corners.

Well its a good theory but doesn't seem to play out in practice from my experience..  

Ciao