Brake bleeding using "Speed Bleeder "

Vic

6 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Well its a good theory but doesn't seem to play out in practice from my experience..  

Ciao

Me, either.

Yeah, my experience is different as well. The vacuum bleeders work, but the power bleeder works better. The vacuum bleed tends to suck air past the threads on the bleeder fitting. Also, an old trick after bleeding a system with a vacuum bleeder is leaving the bike overnight with the brake lever pulled in to apply pressure to the system. That pressure seems to help trapped air make its way to the top. When you release the brake lever the next day the air comes out into the reservoir and the brakes are firmer.

Pressure seems to help get ride of air bubbles.

• Like 1

My experience to, usually overnight with pressure.

Cheers tom.

I just push fluid into the reservoir from the caliper with a big syringe. When I have *some* pedal or lever, zip tie the lever down overnight, and the brakes are magically bled. :huh2:

I just use a section of clear vinyl tube and a bottle as well.

Re the frequency of changing the fluid, I normally would only do it when working on the lines/brakes/pads etc and have never noticed any sign of debris in the old fluid, but I had read about the fluid going bad quickly in the clutch lines on the Grisos.

Sure enough, when I changed the fluids on my Griso, I got a fair amount of black debris out of the old fluid in the clutch line. I'm not sure if it's due to the design or the higher heat from closer proximity to the engine,  but the fluid in the Griso clutch lines definitely goes bad quickly, the somewhat similar design in the V11 clutch lines may be an issue to keep in mind as well.

fwiw

Kelly