M Unit V11

cash1000

Guess if you can and you need to do a rewire it's nice way to combine relay functions and circuit protection all into one small black box, but at a price

If price/value is the only thing that drives you then it's absolutely nuts

I've completed a few diagrams for people over on WG who did this to later Le Mans bikes not the Is and IIs worth a bit, but the later square heads that don't go for silly prices. I guess their owners just loved them and wanted to keep them. One guy went the whole hog with MotoGadget M-Switch (keyless igniton), switchgear, combined speedo and tacho, probably cost more than the bike's worth to purchase that lot. It looked fantastic when he finished it and personally I'm all for it, but it's horses for courses. I spent more when refurbing the Sfida than a brand new 600 sports bike probably and don't regret it for a second.

When I refurbished that bike (LM 1000 running gear) Wiring looms weren't readily available and the loom was a mess, so I purchased a very early M-Unit and rewired it using Thinwall cable. The bike only ever gave me a problem when it started to run intermittanly on one cylinder due to a loose spade at a coil and I can hardly blame the M-Unit for that.

The fuse box is there to group the earths and add a belt and braces to the M-Unit as I'd no clue at the time how reliable it would be, so I put in some additional circuits that I could use to bypass the M-Unit and still run the bike to get me home, never had to use it though.

ACtC-3c4I3IfQXc8l0n-pKEF6O217Au57ILysAPm

Never tried to wire a bike with an ECU but no reason not to, just seperate out the Acessories from the ECU circuits and it would work.

Not so keen on that speedo though but heh ho, we're all different

• Like 1

:notworthy:   ^^^

you should see my attempt at rewire 'to tidy up' my XS650. My basis was remove everything but on, start/run, lights. No knowledge or experience. Somehow the start button still cranks the starter while switched off. I feel lucky and will be leaving that oddity as is.  I could do with a lesson or 3 in basic circuitry.

I used an M unit on mine and will do so for every build I do. 100% more reliable than relays, fuses and electronic flashers. Also simplifies the wiring especially when using button switches

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That was an impressive pile of bills for gadgets, glad it's his and not mine,lol.

I think the wide bars and the mirrors let it down a bit, but those shots from the rear, with that rich deep burgundy and the black stripe, flowing through all those curves,,, from certain angles that is one sexy looking bike. js.

On 5/18/2020 at 1:05 PM, footgoose said:

:notworthy:   ^^^

MMMMMMmmmmmm. That would be similar to getting one lesson to learn how to fly a helicopter . 

You have to be on top of things to start stripping things down . 

you should see my attempt at rewire 'to tidy up' my XS650. My basis was remove everything but on, start/run, lights. No knowledge or experience. Somehow the start button still cranks the starter while switched off. I feel lucky and will be leaving that oddity as is.  I could do with a lesson or 3 in basic circuitry.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 11:23 AM, Weegie said:

Guess if you can and you need to do a rewire it's nice way to combine relay functions and circuit protection all into one small black box, but at a price

If price/value is the only thing that drives you then it's absolutely nuts

I've completed a few diagrams for people over on WG who did this to later Le Mans bikes not the Is and IIs worth a bit, but the later square heads that don't go for silly prices. I guess their owners just loved them and wanted to keep them. One guy went the whole hog with MotoGadget M-Switch (keyless igniton), switchgear, combined speedo and tacho, probably cost more than the bike's worth to purchase that lot. It looked fantastic when he finished it and personally I'm all for it, but it's horses for courses. I spent more when refurbing the Sfida than a brand new 600 sports bike probably and don't regret it for a second.

When I refurbished that bike (LM 1000 running gear) Wiring looms weren't readily available and the loom was a mess, so I purchased a very early M-Unit and rewired it using Thinwall cable. The bike only ever gave me a problem when it started to run intermittanly on one cylinder due to a loose spade at a coil and I can hardly blame the M-Unit for that.

The fuse box is there to group the earths and add a belt and braces to the M-Unit as I'd no clue at the time how reliable it would be, so I put in some additional circuits that I could use to bypass the M-Unit and still run the bike to get me home, never had to use it though.

ACtC-3c4I3IfQXc8l0n-pKEF6O217Au57ILysAPm

Never tried to wire a bike with an ECU but no reason not to, just seperate out the Acessories from the ECU circuits and it would work.

Not so keen on that speedo though but heh ho, we're all different

That is a LOT of work and beautiful workmanship . 

What is your profession ? And I don't want a short answer .

@gstallons

I'm retired now, used to work with Gas Turbines, first in maintenance then latterly doing performance and tuning. Predominently industrial units but some aero derivatives and some steam turbines as well.

I was a mechanical engineer but always had an interest in electrical and instrumentation, which was handy for setting up to measure performance runs. I was nothing special and certainly don't posess much talent, to this day I shudder when I think of some of the stupid s**t I did over the years. As far as the job travelled all over doing it, it was a mixture of hands on and engineering evaluation, really enjoyed it and some fantastic times.

Guys on here like @Lucky Phil@Kiwi_Roy , the inimitable @pete roper and no doubt many more, are way more talented in there respective fields than I could ever be.

The wiring on the bike was my first ever attempt at a rewire, it's Ok but not in the same league as others, especially some of the guys who worked on aircraft. Second attempt on a mate's V7 racer, that he put back to road use, was a little better.

Heartly agree with @knumbnutz, using an M-Unit makes the job a lot easier, if costly. Wiring isn't hard, especially on bike's of that vintage. Break down the circuits, make a diagram of how you're going to do it. Use the diagram to evaluate current/load and size the wire to suit. Once you've did all that you get hands on and route the cables, bundling them into groups. Lastly make the terminations.

For detail, the box between the M-Unit and the fuse box housed a resistor (now relocated and replaced with a metal clad unit) in place of the generator warning light. The big silver box houses the electronics for the Sasche electronic igntion and a terminal strip where I had to common up connections. I'd have did it a bit different now but it all works.............so far.

Here's short video of an early start after the refurb if anybody's remotely interested, its changed a little since then, but not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G5zCu5UkEA&feature=youtu.be

John

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1