Clutch not disengaging

Kuni0

I know this topic has probably already been covered, but I figure it still can't hurt to ask again.

I'm currently having issues with the clutch not disengaging. I originally pulled it apart because the flywheel bolts weren't torqued down correctly, and now that everything is assembled, I put into first gear, and the bike lurches forward and dies. Sure enough, I put it into first gear, pull in the clutch, rock it, and it doesn't move.

BUT, the clutch assembly seems to be fine! All 10 springs are there, the button for the pressure plate was still on, the clutch plates are in correctly, and the pushrod seems to be moving forward just fine! When I pull in the clutch, it feels normal and I can hear it moving the pressure plate.

The only thing I can think of is the transmission at this point. When I pulled the clutch, I took off the transmission side plate to put silicon gasket sealer around it and stop a gear-oil drip I had. I remember it was a pain putting the side cover back on because gears/ bits (sorry, don't know the technical term) had moved around inside the transmission, and I moved them again to get the side cover on. 

Is it possible it's now the transmission that's not letting be disengage the clutch? Or is it something completely different? 

Thank you for all your help

I seem to recall someone just struggling with this and found one (or both) of the friction plates reversed. You do say  "the clutch plates are in correctly" so perhaps this is not the case for you. I cannot recall who's thread that was, but I'll look for it . .  .

Well, I'm not finding the thread I as thinking of. When my clutch failed to disengage, I found the gearbox input hub had loosened from a failed safety washer:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kuni0 said:

I know this topic has probably already been covered, but I figure it still can't hurt to ask again.

I'm currently having issues with the clutch not disengaging. I originally pulled it apart because the flywheel bolts weren't torqued down correctly, and now that everything is assembled, I put into first gear, and the bike lurches forward and dies. Sure enough, I put it into first gear, pull in the clutch, rock it, and it doesn't move.

BUT, the clutch assembly seems to be fine! All 10 springs are there, the button for the pressure plate was still on, the clutch plates are in correctly, and the pushrod seems to be moving forward just fine! When I pull in the clutch, it feels normal and I can hear it moving the pressure plate.

The only thing I can think of is the transmission at this point. When I pulled the clutch, I took off the transmission side plate to put silicon gasket sealer around it and stop a gear-oil drip I had. I remember it was a pain putting the side cover back on because gears/ bits (sorry, don't know the technical term) had moved around inside the transmission, and I moved them again to get the side cover on. 

Is it possible it's now the transmission that's not letting be disengage the clutch? Or is it something completely different? 

Thank you for all your help

Does the transmission rotate when the bike is in neutral, ie pushing it around? what clutch do you have and did you replace any components?

Ciao

14 hours ago, docc said:

I seem to recall someone just struggling with this and found one (or both) of the friction plates reversed. You do say  "the clutch plates are in correctly" so perhaps this is not the case for you. I cannot recall who's thread that was, but I'll look for it . .  .

I have been struggling with something similar, having to take off the tranny twice again. What had happened was that one or two of the springs behind the spring plate were not seated properly, not allowing the clutch to disengage. The leaver did feel a bit stronger/harder than normal, but not enough for me to realize this was it. Only after finding the springs and reassembling, I also noticed the difference in clutch feel.

• Like 3

Tinus89, you were right on the money!

I took apart everything down to the springs, re-seated them and put it all together. With the clutch pulled in, I was able to rotate the shaft while the bike was in gear! I've since re-assembled everything and the bike is running now! Hopefully this'll be the last time in a while where I have to pull everything to get at the clutch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

docc,

I did check the input hub, and it seems to have not loosed at all.

Lucky Phil,

I have SD-TEC plates in it, and one of the issues I had was I put the friction plates in backwards, so the clutch wasn't engaging at all. 

• Like 1