Jump to content

Tech Spec Tank Grip


Recommended Posts

 

Just installed a new set of these on my 03 Le Mans. I put them on my Scura about 8 years ago and they really make a difference. They are now discontinued, but I emailed Customer Service and they located the old V11 template and were happy to make a pair. If interested, call Customer Service at 775-783-5110. The model # is on the second photo.ab686208b7f5c6b71101d0c68ff7c6d7.jpg07b82e82cea4d464dd3a13631626636d.jpg

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rox Lemans said:

I need 2 sets. The ones I got aren't holding up to the AZ heat. 

What does, besides scorpions and rattlesnakes?  :sun:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good. I’ve been thinking about putting the clear protective film on my tank, but maybe this is a better way to go, actually get some performance benefit with the protection. 

Is this safe for the paint finish? Does it come off with no harm done?

Btw, where did you get the Moto Guzzi tank guard?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Kane said:

Looks good. I’ve been thinking about putting the clear protective film on my tank, but maybe this is a better way to go, actually get some performance benefit with the protection. 

Is this safe for the paint finish? Does it come off with no harm done?

Btw, where did you get the Moto Guzzi tank guard?

That actually has a Moto Guzzi part number: GU973221100021

Cadre Cycle looks to have them:

https://cadrecycle.com/product/tank-protector/

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

ab686208b7f5c6b71101d0c68ff7c6d7.jpg

That is a handsome brace of Italian twins! :thumbsup:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Looks good. I’ve been thinking about putting the clear protective film on my tank, but maybe this is a better way to go, actually get some performance benefit with the protection. 
Is this safe for the paint finish? Does it come off with no harm done?
Btw, where did you get the Moto Guzzi tank guard?
Yes, you remove the same way as installing, first warm it up good with a hair dryer, or heat gun on low setting. It comes off with no problems.
For installation, you warm up the tank and pad ahead of time. Since the tank has some significant contours in that area, per the instructions you start in the middle and work your way to the perimeter. I cut out a 2.5" swath of the backing paper from top to bottom, aligned it and applied, kneeding from the center up and down. Then removed the other two pieces of backing paper one at a time, and again pressed from the middle to the perimeter. Mine came out perfectly with no bubbles.
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They look very complimentary on your LM! That smokey gray is a great color. I wonder about black pads on a greenie tank. It could set it off nicely or clutter and take away from the awesome green mass of the tank.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they'll look great. I've put similar on a dozen bikes of different colors and I'm always pleasantly surprised with how good it looks. But more importantly, it gives you so much more stability on the bike, especially when stopping or hanging off.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the Mighty Scura's tank is scratched up from the inside the leg zippers of my old Motoport suit I have in SoCal. Now that I have the Scura in flyover country..I really don't need tank protectors any more..:(

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, docc said:

That actually has a Moto Guzzi part number: GU973221100021

Cadre Cycle looks to have them:

https://cadrecycle.com/product/tank-protector/

Here's a tip, dont use anything but clear tank protectors. Sure the carbon ones look good but when you want to replace the tatty protector and you pull it off and see pristine full couloured paint under it compared to the faded rest of the tank you now have a problem. You need the exact same tank protector ( which might be 15 years old by now and no longer made) AND you need to apply it to exactly the same location as it was before. Better with a clear one for mine.

Ciao  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 5:05 PM, Lucky Phil said:

Here's a tip, dont use anything but clear tank protectors. Sure the carbon ones look good but when you want to replace the tatty protector and you pull it off and see pristine full couloured paint under it compared to the faded rest of the tank you now have a problem. You need the exact same tank protector ( which might be 15 years old by now and no longer made) AND you need to apply it to exactly the same location as it was before. Better with a clear one for mine.

Ciao  

 

Is paint fade really an issue with the V11 tank paint? I have heard about early pork chops and other red parts fading, but I’ve not heard of problems with the tank, fenders, etc. 

I like the idea of the Tech Spec pads as it’s a little hard to get a good purchase on the tank when braking, more so depending on what pants I am wearing. But I live under the ridiculous southern California sun. 

Phil, I suppose the sun in Oz is not too different from what we have here......have you had problems with paint fade with your V11 tank? (a Greenie, too, like mine :) )

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kane said:

 

Is paint fade really an issue with the V11 tank paint? I have heard about early pork chops and other red parts fading, but I’ve not heard of problems with the tank, fenders, etc. 

I like the idea of the Tech Spec pads as it’s a little hard to get a good purchase on the tank when braking, more so depending on what pants I am wearing. But I live under the ridiculous southern California sun. 

Phil, I suppose the sun in Oz is not too different from what we have here......have you had problems with paint fade with your V11 tank? (a Greenie, too, like mine :) )

All paint will fade to a certain extent in our conditions. Over the years I've seen many bikes with the telltale signs of a different shaped tank pad replacement. It's not a massive thing you notice from 20 feet away but if you're the type of person where you like to keep your paint nice and you're concerned enough to use a protector then I'd go for clear. Even if you by one and a spare getting the replacement on in exactly the same spot can be next to impossible.

On the racetrack I use my knees for support when braking on the limit but not on the road. The V11 tank is the complete wrong shape for me to grip with my long legs.  

Ciao

Link to post
Share on other sites

...also depends on how many hours per year the bike is left in the sun, how often it's waxed, etc.  Not to mention, even with clear tank grip, the paint will age differently under the grip pad than the surrounding paint that is exposed to the elements.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...