Ducati 900ss CEV instruments.

Grim

Since I didn't get my arse in gear and finish wiring up my electronic speedo yet, but have manage to wrestle my bike into a working state and am now riding it,  I find myself in need of something that has a working trip counter.  

I have spotted a few 900ss Speedos on eBay, they are cheap and look kind of ok-ish.

Has anyone fitted one to replace an ITI Speedo?

Here is a Ducati item, the seller says the thread is "about 12mm" and has (badly) measured the diameter at 82mm. 

p4qW4lW.png

Here is mine

gYqRP9U.jpg

Sorry for quality, I was showing the seller how to measure diameter!

So they look very similar. The Ducati item has fixed posts, but apart from that..what do we think??

Those clocks look sooooo similar! Even the cable drive input and the spread of the mounting studs.

I tried measuring my Veglia angle drive input (they have been known to be driven by the later V11 cables) and got more like 16mm.

Then there is the matter of the illumination . . .

11 hours ago, docc said:

Those clocks look sooooo similar! Even the cable drive input and the spread of the mounting studs.

I tried measuring my Veglia angle drive input (they have been known to be driven by the later V11 cables) and got more like 16mm.

Then there is the matter of the illumination . . .

The  thread on the gearbox that the angle drive attaches to is 16mm, but the clock side of the cable (on mine  with ITIs ) is 12mm.  Not sure if that is common...

I *think*. Those yellow bits are blanked off holes for lights, I have seen images on Google where they seem to have bulb holders in there.

EDIT: Bought one cheap just now, so we shall see! Nearly matches my mileage :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Right, it's a tiny bit too big, so that's a no on direct fit.

But the mechanism is practically identical, so the gear that sits on the worm drive for the Speedo/trip is the same part, as is the connecting drive and Speedo reset knob.

So.... What is the best way to get the worm gear out? Bend the entire metal back plate down? Or is it better to try and go in from the front?

It doesn't look like the needle comes off? Are they glues/screwed on? Seems delicate.

Edit: prized the back plate down, put new worm gear in. Spent an hour tapping and bending the whole thing till the worm gear actually engaged.

Tip: do not bend the back down, figure out a way to remove the front!

Ducati ST2/ST4/900ss CEV Speedo gears do fit the ITI Speedo though, exactly the same, it looks like this:

PZIbZ90.jpg

I posted this on reply to a different thread, but here it is easier to find in case anyone needs it.

Here is a pic to show the Ducati gear you installed,  the state of the old one, and the Ducati odo/trip gear and reset

lPJgASj.jpg

blkhMa3.jpg

Edited by Grim
pictures
  • Like 1