Looking to see where washer goes.

aermacchi250

Hi Everybody

I have an 04 Lemans that i'm reinstalling the Rear Wheel and Differential.

THe problem is that when i Disassembled it the Spacer and   Washer fell.

I know where the Spacer goes,but the Parts Diagram makes it look like

the washer goes between the Diff and the Rh Swingarm,which i don't think is right.

It's a Thin,Large diameter washer with an inside diameter  larger than the Axle.

Any help would be appreciated as i'd rather not put the bike back together

until i'm sure where it goes.

Thanks in Advance

Mike

Oh, yes. That always confuses me being a boring literalist and all that.....

Yeah, there is a washer that sits outboard of the needle roller bearing the spindle goes through. The race of that bearing has a hole in, seemingly to deliberately let water in! The washer doesn't have a seal to keep the water out either. Hopeless.

• Like 1

Thank you Pete.THat's where the IPC shows it and that's where i put it.It just didn't look right to me.And thanks Weegie.The more i thought about

it,it can't be a differential,lol.Thanks for your Quick response  and clearing that up for me

• Like 1

I would suggest liberally greasing that needle cage, its race, and the washer to help resist water infiltration. I ended up with a ruined bevel box/reardrive from a PO neglecting this simple task. Repeat at every tire change . . .  :luigi:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2020 at 8:14 PM, aermacchi250 said:

Thanks for that Suggestion.I will do that.

I was reviewing my Failed Rear Wheel Bearings thread and found this post/image of how the those needle cage races can deteriorate:

IMG_8887.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I took your Advice and Removed my Rear Wheel assembly again to Lube my Needle Bearing and Found this.

When i rotate the Needle Bearing i can feel the Notchiness so the Outer Race is no Better.

My Bike,2004 V11 Lemans has around 20,000 Miles on it.

I have a New Inner Race and Needle Bearing on order.

I also ordered a "Blind Bearing" Puller  hoping that will work.

Thanks Again for your Advice.

I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

IMG_20200529_120646243.jpg

• Thanks 2

Hey! Good find! Pretty sure the term for that is "knackered!":oldgit:

That assembly doesn't require any pullers. Only if your reardrive is leaking from either side . . .

Welldone, man. :luigi:

5 hours ago, docc said:

Hey! Good find! Pretty sure the term for that is "knackered!":oldgit:

That assembly doesn't require any pullers. Only if your reardrive is leaking from either side . . .

Welldone, man. :luigi:

Errr? Yes it does need a puller to get the outer race out. For anyone with access to same the blind, expanding puller used for extracting the needle roller races from five speed gearboxes works for this bearing as well.

5 hours ago, pete roper said:

Errr? Yes it does need a puller to get the outer race out. For anyone with access to same the blind, expanding puller used for extracting the needle roller races from five speed gearboxes works for this bearing as well.

Ah, my bad. I was only thinking of sliding this part and the needle cage out and forgot about the outer race pressed into the bevel drive.

The needle cage does just slide out, IIRC?

Would you know if it requires heat,like a Heat gun applied to the Bevel Drive,or would i even need to do this ?

Seems all races pull better heating the case and cold to the race. Is the outer race also knackered?

I really thought I replaced the inner race and needle cage with out a puller. I know I did not pull the outer race, though . . .

Well, I don't find that the needle cage "just slips out." Not sure where I got that idea. Probably had three or four things all going on at once . . .

IMG_8827.jpg