Which V11 has the best components?

Calijackalbob

Hi guys.

I am looking at coming into a few bucks in the near future and will be getting another Guzzi to keep the Breva 750 and Griso 8v 1200 company in the garage. I am torn between so many desirable Guzzis. If I could, I'd have one of each model, but the short list is a 1400 Cali, a Le Mans 1, a Bellagio and a V11.  

Personally, if I buy a V11, I'd like a Greenie, cos i think it is the most gorgeous of them all, but I  could be tempted by  any of the other models.

Realistically, my budget and the location and  availability of a V11 would probably be the biggest deciding factor. V11s are few and far between in Australia, there are only 3 or 4 for sale at the moment, most of them are thousands of kilometers away 😢 so it would probably be a Fly there, ride back situation.

That being the case, I'd want to be 100% decided on the bike before committing to travelling to buy. It would help if I knew which model had the best suspension, frame, features, handling etc.... The selection of models seem to have a bewildering number of variations and it does my head in a bit. At the end of the day, if I bought one with a colour scheme that didn't really blow me away, but had the best running gear, I could always paint it green (or red. I love red....)

So which V11 has the best of everything? And the least issues. (Like, cracked gearbox housings etc....)

I appreciate any input, but would rather bare facts over passion as the root of the discussion. 

Here are a couple of the bikes that get my juices flowing. (I prefer my bikes to have the same colour paint on all the plastics. Different colour tanks, side covers, seat cowlings etc, just looks to me like they ran out of matching colour components at the factory, so they just stuck whatever was lying around on the bike.)

So what is the best

images (2).jpeg

images (1).jpeg

images.jpeg

03, on. Any of the Ohlins bikes. Rosso and Neros are my pick of the "best."  Well sorted from the factory.

Of course, the "best" is mine. :rasta:

• Like 1

The youngest Rosso Corsa you can find. Has full Ohlin suspension, the latest fuel map,  no gearcase cracking problem, and of course it is red.

Really interesting to ponder (of the V11 series) "So, what is best?"

Many would naturally select the models with Öhlins suspension, yet I've heard it said that the Guzzi spec Öhlins is not really up to what we might expect from that esteemed maker. Plus, Öhlins was never offered on the ShortFrames (my preference) and only came on handlebar V11 with the stand-off headlamp/instrument mounting or the Corsas with the sad tank decal failures.

Then there is the matter of full faring, bikini fairing or nekkid. Lately, I been diggin' nekkid, but that may be sharing too much. :huh:

So, @Calijackalbob , best monochromatic (Designer Marabese would heartily approve! :sun:) might well be the 2003-2004 black or red LeMans if you're in for the full faring and willing to set up the suspension.

2004 Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans specifications and pictures2002-lemans.jpg

If you can tolerate the stand-off headlamp/instrument mounting and like the bikini/flyscreen then it is, hands down, the 2005 Scura R. :food:

0tBFHNvX8GgtT5JwgwUGqohG33-Pw43lRb-EZtAC

• Thanks 1

That would be a personal opinion .  

I do know I would like to have one with Ohlins suspension to see if they are all that .  

There is one thing I KNOW , every time I get near my bikes , I cannot see why these bikes are not in everyone's garage . 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Great synopsis Docc, and good points. My personal experience with a suspension swap shows Ohlins is clearly better "off the shelf" than the stock unit. Regarding Guzzi spec Ohlins, ...idk for sure but when my '03 Ohlins were rebuilt at Ducati Indy by Matt Carr, a Duc and Ohlins certified tech, he said he could tell no differences, when asked directly, and that they took standard Ohlins service parts. I don't know why they would build a cheaper/lower quality piece for MG, but it's possible. I do know that '02 Guzzi spec Ohlins differ from '03 and up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, knumbnutz said:

If you are in Australia, I have a Cafe Sport which has the full ohlins package etc and some carbon fibre goodies from the factory

As in, "For Sale?"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, footgoose said:

Great synopsis Docc, and good points. My personal experience with a suspension swap shows Ohlins is clearly better "off the shelf" than the stock unit. Regarding Guzzi spec Ohlins, ...idk for sure but when my '03 Ohlins were rebuilt at Ducati Indy by Matt Carr, a Duc and Ohlins certified tech, he said he could tell no differences, when asked directly, and that they took standard Ohlins service parts. I don't know why they would build a cheaper/lower quality piece for MG, but it's possible. I do know that '02 Guzzi spec Ohlins differ from '03 and up.

Hey, maybe the low-spec Öhlins thing on the Guzzis is a myth! I understand it is not race spec Öhlins, but that is understandable.

Thanks, footgoose, for that qualified input! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, footgoose said:

Guzzi spec Ohlins are the same quality as Ducati,Honda,Yamaha spec Ohlins. They are obviously better quality than the original equipment Guzzi suspension its just they arent really any better than the std late model sports bike suspension from the big Japanese 3 or 4. The Japanese and Ducati fitting them is more a marketing exercise than anything else as it aligns with their WSB's and as far as the V11 goes they are an upgrade. I've just mentioned in the past that the Ohlins obviously aren't bad units but forget all the hipe the Journo's and others go on about with the std spec Ohlins.

If you're going to upgrade your suspension esp the shock dont bother waiting around for a good second hand Ohlins shock to appear on the market and pay a premium for it. You can buy better quality now cheaper.

As far as the forks go apart from the ease of conversion from the std to Ohlins OEM for a V11 there are way,way better late model japanese oem forks around than the original oem Ohlins on the V11. 

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There's a great video on YouTube that compares an Aprilia RS V-Twin to a Rosso Corsa "it's Monica Belluci vs Sophia Loren". Very funny and well done - one of the best quotes is "the Ohlins on the Guzzi is like paying for breast implants for your granny". That said, both guys picked the Guzzi over the Aprilia in the end!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

...having owned a Scura with Ohlins, and now a Le Man's with Marzocchis, I can say they are both very good when properly set up. The Ohlins are maybe marginally more compliant over bumps while remaining firm under braking and cornering.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1