Which V11 has the best components?

Calijackalbob

Which-ever shocks and forks, I would wager a more significant difference between the short and long frames (along with the difference in rear rim width), as "components" go.

(Never thought of the frame as a "component" before . . . )

• Like 1

Ohlins are really worth it if you're an advanced track day rider (which I really wouldn't recommend with a V11).

• Like 1

Anyone interested in the difference externally anyway between the OEM Ohlins and the race Ohlins these are images of my 1198.

FGRT803 Forks. Billet lowers and different damping adjustment,different internals. These are the real deal, albeit entry level "real deal".

DSC00595 - Copy.JPG

TTX rear shock, alloy body,high and low speed damping,mechanical preload adjuster and different internals. The silly part is that they werent that much dearer than the OEM Ohlins stuff 10 years ago. Track guys used to buy the base ( non Ohlins) model bike and buy the race spec Ohlins like these and be a couple of grand in front for a race or track bike after they sold the stock stuff.

DSC00591 - Copy.JPG

DSC00590.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 4corsa said:

There's a great video on YouTube that compares an Aprilia RS V-Twin to a Rosso Corsa "it's Monica Belluci vs Sophia Loren". Very funny and well done - one of the best quotes is "the Ohlins on the Guzzi is like paying for breast implants for your granny". That said, both guys picked the Guzzi over the Aprilia in the end!

Maybe you should see the Youtube "Brasilian Grannies" before you say much about that subject . 

• Haha 1

Thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated, but a few are missing the point of the question. 

Which V11 is the best package as it came from the factory? (maybe in order of best specs to (I won't say worst) the lowest spec/handling)

.... maybe then a decision of which to buy would be easier. Some have a slightly longer frame, some or these may have lower spec shocks etc, but handle better due to that, some have frame bracing, some don't. 

Forgive my ignorance. I just thought someone might know all the variations and save me and others as dumb as me) the trouble of lots of research, compiling comparison charts etc to work out which is the best and what might be a small but acceptable compromise. Otherwise i might go for the colour that appeals the most and get the worst buy. Id rather get the best bike and if the colour scheme doesnt turn me on, end up painting it to my liking.

(Which is what im going to do with my Griso. RED BIKES LÒOK FASTER!)

I'm  someone who doesnt know offhand whether sachs or ohlins, marzochi or whatever else is the better shock or whether this one or that handles better in conjunction with this or that set of forks, frame, steering damper etc....

So enlighten me oh wise ones!

Not knowing your knowledge on V11's, and certainly not knowing all differences by head, I do feel the need to warn you about the (factory) single plate clutches. These are found on Rosso Mandello's and Scura's, maybe on others as well. [docc edit: + Tenni ]

I also do not know whether this applies to all factory single clutches or a certain build time.

They have a habit of desintegrating (exploding through the engine casing) due to fatique-cracking on the aluminium flywheel.

Look for one to be converted to either a twin plate clutch, or a aftermarket single plate with flywheel (e.g. RAM clutch).
Edit: or convert it yourself of course!

When it comes to V11 versus the other Guzzi's, most definately a V11.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Calijackalbob said:

Thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated, but a few are missing the point of the question. 

Which V11 is the best package as it came from the factory? (maybe in order of best specs to (I won't say worst) the lowest spec/handling)

There are lots of little variations in the V11 family, and everyone has their favourite.

Clip-ons vs handlebars, fairings vs naked, chin pad tank vs in-tank-fuel-pump, white face clocks vs black, silver engine vs matt black vs satin black, green vs silver vs red...

You are going to have to make your own choice. They are all good. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Calijackalbob said:

.... maybe then a decision of which to buy would be easier. Some have a slightly longer frame, some or these may have lower spec shocks etc, but handle better due to that, some have frame bracing, some don't. 

Forgive my ignorance. I just thought someone might know all the variations and save me and others as dumb as me) the trouble of lots of research, compiling comparison charts etc to work out which is the best and what might be a small but acceptable compromise. Otherwise i might go for the colour that appeals the most and get the worst buy. Id rather get the best bike and if the colour scheme doesnt turn me on, end up painting it to my liking.

(Which is what im going to do with my Griso. RED BIKES LÒOK FASTER!)

I'm  someone who doesnt know offhand whether sachs or ohlins, marzochi or whatever else is the better shock or whether this one or that handles better in conjunction with this or that set of forks, frame, steering damper etc....

So enlighten me oh wise ones!

I already tole ya. 03 and later are the best sorted from the factory. Ohlins bikes make a difference in the twisties if you care about that kind of stuff. If you like red, get a Rosso Corsa. Simples. :mg:

Bob, the simple answer is that there is no simple answer.

During the decade, (Roughly.) that the V11 was produced the motive unit, (Engine, clutch and gearbox/final drive.) changed barely at all apart from the use of a single plate clutch on some models.

The main changes were a swap from open to closed loop engine management, a lengthening of the frame and later addition of extra bracing for the gearbox and most importantly changes to bodywork and suspension components.

Apart from that pretty much everything else to my limited knowledge is cosmetic.

So which is 'Best'? That is entirely up to you and how you are built, assembled and ride.

Also you have to remember that the last V11 rolled off the production line over a decade ago. Unless you are very lucky any bike you buy is going to be far from perfect mechanically no matter what it's cosmetic condition.

The 'Short' and 'Long' frames handle really quite differently. Different suspension options and riding positions/control choices make all of the different versions more or less desirable due to countless interacting factors. Asking which is *Best* when examined holistically is really a bit asinine. The question you need to ask is of yourself, and that should be "What do I want from this motorbike?" and from there start asking questions as to whether one or other model is the best starting point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete roper said:

"What do I want from this motorbike?"

[ This nicely reframed question makes the answer easier to find . . .  ]

5 hours ago, Calijackalbob said:

RED BIKES LÒOK FASTER!

23 hours ago, Calijackalbob said:

(or red. I love red....)

ewhq2ihwhjT5ghdcQaSQPVbTFABqNyZr48aoZN6_

36 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

All my bikes are red, even my green one.

That's too funny, but there is a lot of truth to it.

I love red on a bike, as long as it doesn't clash or it's over done, fwiw.

The Italian designers are pretty smart when it comes to making your heart go pitter patter. 

If you look at the most recent MG models, the ones that catch my eye, and most others,are the ones with the red accents; 

In conversation with other motorcyclists, they  usually bring up the tastefully done red accents on the different mg models.

I think the red accents, are a big part of the Greenies visual impact.

I know the red accents on my black V11 Lemans make it much more appealing to my eye.

Just for kicks, I ordered a nice set of angled valve stems for the wheels, they came in red, I couldn't resist, lol, sets off the plugs and the pork chops nicely.

It not only draws your eyes into the bike, it's scientifically proven to be the fastest color ;~) 

To the OP, good luck and good times shopping,

You'll know the bike for you when you see it

Kelly

• Like 2

:rasta::food: