Which V11 has the best components?

Calijackalbob

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

Very nice.......except for the orange valve covers:)

Ciao

Looks like Stihl chainsaw orange. 

Why? The rest of the bike looks bloody great!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Hey Chuck did you buy that clock for your bike. If so was wondering where and how you are going to mount it?

Ciao

Not yet. I'll no doubt "make" something, but until I have it in hand I have no idea.

10 hours ago, Kane said:

Looks like Stihl chainsaw orange. 

Why? The rest of the bike looks bloody great!

It *may* be lighting fooling the phone sensor.. but if I remember correctly they were faded a bit probably from heat. Lister PD Boulder has her now as far as I know.

14 minutes ago, Chuck said:

It *may* be lighting fooling the phone sensor.. but if I remember correctly they were faded a bit probably from heat. Lister PD Boulder has her now as far as I know.

They may have faded from the heat, but funny enough my Mandello Rosso has that as well. The porkchops do the same (but less), and the tank and seat cover stay nice and red.

It almost seems like the paint on alu parts does not hold as well as on the plastic parts.

• Like 1

So yeah, as has been noted, and to expand on Pete's comment "So which is 'Best'? That is entirely up to you and how you are built, assembled and ride. " ... they're all similar enough to maybe just pay attn to the faults we know of that you'd like to avoid. Like the single plate alloy flywheel models ... unless the repair has been done. Avoid the '02 and early '03 (carryovers) with the bubble-up/flaking motor paint, unless you want to fix it. The early red frames have a quirk of the occasional transmission case crack, but there's a preventative for that.

All other nits and fiddles are more or less common to all of them and are easily seen to. I say 'easily' with the very high regard I have for V11 LeMans.com and the folks here who make it easy for me.

The only real difference to any of them - to me - is between long and short frames, and that difference is handling. Not a huge difference, but it's there.

And as Chuck said "03 and later are the best sorted from the factory."

• Like 1

My 'theory' on the RC and NC valve cover color is that they are the same, possibly left overs from the Rosso Mandello. I swiped the pics of these covers and tank from Surg's post. These were new or nearly new parts for the RM. The paint does fade though, on the alm, as evident on my '03 RC below.

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-10.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-7.jpg

IMG_0513.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow! She’s-a-bella!

If I were to have a second spine frame to compliment my Greenie, that bike would do it. The long frame, the Ohlin, and the RED! That bike is hot!

• Like 2

Notably, the Rosso Corsa in footgoose's post (:thumbsup:) has had the troubling, failed tank decals removed and repainted in a solid red. Looks great! :mg:

Also, worth repeating that a significant number of "early" 2003 models are 2002 "carry-overs" with the difficult, bubbling driveline paint. And it is not just the engine, but the entire driveline. :wacko:

@Calijackalbob , I am curious about the three V11 images in your original post. The first two are rather significantly modified or changed, and the third is a stock factory image of the 1999-2001 V11 Sport in silver (not Grrrrr-eeen :huh2:).

Have you seen the Greenie in person? It is quite something to behold with one's own eyes. Yet, aren't they all?  :wub:

• Like 3

Probably '03 and later, as is said. The '04 Ballabio (red, BTW), has the 43mm Marzocchi/Sachs combo, and later discs which are reputedly not as prone to warpage. Not bad and the best suspension/brakes I have ever owned - not saying much there. Öhlins no doubt better and more costly to rebuild. Oh, and the '03 and later have the 17/3.5 and 17/5.5 wheels for perhaps a little more rubber option. I think any of the '03 and later bikes would be just fine and about as trouble-free as MG gets. As Huxley wrote: "You pays your money and you takes your choice." 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys.

The pics I posted feature a Laverda SFC 750 fairing which I'd love to put on. Make the bike look longer and leaner. The fairing is Available for about 100 Euros from https://www.motoforzafairings.com/half-fairing-road-laverda-moto-guzzi-etc-laverda-sfc-750-1974

I have seen a Greenie in the flesh. 😍

I also like silver and could be happy with that. Still 😍

The only mods I'd do would be the fairing and maybe relocate the signals and put reverse cones on. Maybe tidy the tail.... wouldn't want to do more. Too damn near perfect stock....

Regarding the red valve covers that fade, arent they anodised? All the red anodised bits ive seen fade with uv exposure over time.

Feast your eyes on this red beauty!

Bob.

images (1).jpeg

images.jpeg

• Like 3

This may be going too far, colour wise, but you got to admit it is striking. Check it out. The guy did a series of videos showing the transformation, then promptly sold the bike when it was done. Maybe he created a monster. Check out how high the seat is and how low the clip ons!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/26/2020 at 4:00 PM, footgoose said:

My 'theory' on the RC and NC valve cover color is that they are the same, possibly left overs from the Rosso Mandello. I swiped the pics of these covers and tank from Surg's post. These were new or nearly new parts for the RM. The paint does fade though, on the alm, as evident on my '03 RC below.

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-10.jpg

Oooooohhh, bright red valve covers.  Must resist, must resist ...

6 hours ago, Calijackalbob said:

This may be going too far, colour wise, but you got to admit it is striking. Check it out. The guy did a series of videos showing the transformation, then promptly sold the bike when it was done. Maybe he created a monster. Check out how high the seat is and how low the clip ons!

Stylistically a knockout. It all flows very well visually - the fairing striking me first as too low. Totally unrideable. Now, tail down 15cm and fairing up 15cm and we're talking a rideable, distinctive beauty.