Electronic speedo wiring question

Grim

People who have electronic speedo conversions, where did you take a permanent +12v from? I am a bit aprehensive of running another dedicated live direct from the battery (has 3 wires on the + terminal already). I would like to find a fused 12v somewhere, although looking at the wiring diagram I don't think I'll find one!

Here is one of my more lucid posts with images and notes on my Speedhut wiring from the early Veglia V11 harness.

• Thanks 1

So, it looks like using the old Speedo light power is quite common, I am definitely being stupid here; my original speedo illumination comes on with my light switch, not with ignition.

59 minutes ago, Grim said:

So, it looks like using the old Speedo light power is quite common, I am definitely being stupid here; my original speedo illumination comes on with my light switch, not with ignition.

I reckon you have the switchgear that you can turn the lights out. They won't let us have that kind of control here in The States. Lights are always on. Except when the starter is cranking which requires an elaborate Rube Goldberg electrical fiasco to accomplish. :wacko:

37 minutes ago, docc said:

I reckon you have the switchgear that you can turn the lights out. They won't let us have that kind of control here in The States. Lights are always on. Except when the starter is cranking which requires an elaborate Rube Goldberg electrical fiasco to accomplish. :wacko:

Aha, thanks for clarifying, yes we can turn the lights off on UK bikes.... I was wondering if I was going mad..

I had something similar in my imported Yamaha, "starter safety solenoid" or some other grand title. Took it all off and started again with that wiring!

• Like 1

I had forgotten so much of what it took to install those Speedhut three years ago. I see that the GPS “location memory” was powered by an auxiliary lighting circuit I recently defeated. I’ll be looking into that and switch it back on.

Thanks for the prompt to look it all back over! 

• Like 1