V11, CV joint

tony.wh

Is it possible to refurbish v11 sport CV joint, as the inner part is heald with circlips, it must be possible to remove it. So, can it be replaced, re-bushed, are the any aftermarket replacement parts. It seems so wasteful & unnecessarily expensive to replace when repair kits for other vehicles are available. 

32 minutes ago, tony.wh said:

Is it possible to refurbish v11 sport CV joint, as the inner part is heald with circlips, it must be possible to remove it. So, can it be replaced, re-bushed, are the any aftermarket replacement parts. It seems so wasteful & unnecessarily expensive to replace when repair kits for other vehicles are available. 

Yes docc will chime in with the parts required, he's not long done his.

Ciao

I believe it was @Pressureangle that found a source for these, what we often call "U-joints") in Montreal, Canada. They were quite *interesting* to deal with, but did actually supply me with two Della Concordia CR 15/22x50,2  "crosses."

Let me see if I can find that thread where my drive shaft "came from together" . . . :o

[edit: yep, here is thread "Drive Shaft Failure", but no U-joint reference. I'll look further for that. Still, @tony.wh, maybe something helpful looking through this thread:

'Spose it's a little too much to ask for a fabbed up CV joint drive shaft... but actually, the V11 shaft changes angularity far less than the front CV joints on cars.

16 minutes ago, po18guy said:

'Spose it's a little too much to ask for a fabbed up CV joint drive shaft... but actually, the V11 shaft changes angularity far less than the front CV joints on cars.

A CV joint is a much more sophisticated device than a simple uni joint.

Ciao

Indeed. Having used hammer and vise to replace the U-joints in my '61 and '63 Chevys, their beauty is their simplicity - but also their weakness. Can't help but suspect that there is a front axle from a Fiat Uno or similar that could be made to work. But, I am not Allen Millyard and no lathe lives in my garage.

CV joints seem to be a much more complex and weaker solution, but unfortunately necessary in some applications. Meanwhile if you have an application where a U-joint will suffice it can be made more inexpensively and robustly (assuming engineered correctly). Isn't the issue with the V11 drive shaft the difficulty in keeping the join lubed correctly?