V11 Custom Builds

Kane

1 hour ago, Admin Jaap said:

Not a V11 (sorry!) but imho the best looking custom CARC:

Zero-2.jpg

More info and pics:
https://caferacergarage.eu/moto-guzzi-griso-1100-zero-by-officine-rossopuro/

Did someone perform a colonoscopy on that? 

3 replies in a row is probably one or two too many.

7 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

That's always ticked all the boxes for me.  I looked at owning one but thought it was way over my head to keep it running.  I can't think of a single bike that would be up there unless it's V4 Panigale and I am pretty sure that one is also way over my head.  

Yes I like the Panigale as well both the V2 and V4. Those bikes are in reality just too much for the road though. I stopped riding my 1198 on the road about 6 years ago for the same reason.

180 horsepower is just unusable on a road bike these days. I dont object to making and selling them I just dont need one anymore. Maturity and common sense I hate to say has kicked in.

Ciao

• Like 1

The organ-piped Agusta's are a thing of beauty. While not in a living room, this ticks the same boxes for me:

100_0365.jpg

Although the Italians can be pesky at times....

IMG_20200608_113853850.jpg

• Like 4

Not a V11, but is certainly preferable to the tepid V85s on sale. OK, so it's a design exercise. Let's call it "Homage a LeMans...???"

Oberdan Bezzi is a stylistic genius, and his site is chock full of eye candy.

850:V85%20LeMans.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leroysch said:

The organ-piped Agusta's are a thing of beauty. While not in a living room, this ticks the same boxes for me:

100_0365.jpg

Although the Italians can be pesky at times....

IMG_20200608_113853850.jpg

Yes the 916-996 series were a great leap forward for Ducati in everything including style,design and execution from the 851-888 series and a whole lot easier to work on as well.

Ciao 

4 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Yes I like the Panigale as well both the V2 and V4. Those bikes are in reality just too much for the road though. I stopped riding my 1198 on the road about 6 years ago for the same reason.

180 horsepower is just unusable on a road bike these days. I dont object to making and selling them I just dont need one anymore. Maturity and common sense I hate to say has kicked in.

Ciao

I have to respectfully disagree.  I just picked up a new-to-me 2014 KTM Superduke 1290.  With the traction control on, it's claimed 180 hp is perfectly manageable.  You can ride it easy or really twist the loud handle without it biting you.  Modern electronics are incredible!

2 minutes ago, po18guy said:

Not a V11, but is certainly preferable to the tepid V85s on sale. OK, so it's a design exercise. Let's call it "Homage a LeMans...???"

Oberdan Bezzi is a stylistic genius, and his site is chock full of eye candy.

850:V85%20LeMans.png

Yes that looks nice and even looks like it could actually be registered and ridden on the road and pass ADR's.

Ciao

12 minutes ago, TommyA said:

I have to respectfully disagree.  I just picked up a new-to-me 2014 KTM Superduke 1290.  With the traction control on, it's claimed 180 hp is perfectly manageable.  You can ride it easy or really twist the loud handle without it biting you.  Modern electronics are incredible!

I didn't say they were unmanageable, my 1198 has TC as well it's just a little pointless 180HP on a road bike. Just simply way more than you can actually use. Doing track days at Phillip Island cured me of these sort of bikes on the public road. Not being an old kill Joy or saying they are stupid or anything else but I'll tell you something I've thought for probably 20 years. You can't realistically use more than 100 rear well horsepower on a road bike and I'd trade every horsepower over 100 for 1kg less in weight. 

When I think of the risks I used to take on the road in the fast and twisty stuff I shudder now. I go way faster in much more safety at the track. It's a paradox, track riding slows you down on the road. 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I didn't say they were unmanageable, my 1198 has TC as well it's just a little pointless 180HP on a road bike. Just simply way more than you can actually use. Doing track days at Phillip Island cured me of these sort of bikes on the public road. Not being an old kill Joy or saying they are stupid or anything else but I'll tell you something I've thought for probably 20 years. You can't realistically use more than 100 rear well horsepower on a road bike and I'd trade every horsepower over 100 for 1kg less in weight. 

When I think of the risks I used to take on the road in the fast and twisty stuff I shudder now. I go way faster in much more safety at the track. It's a paradox, track riding slows you down on the road. 

Ciao

I know you're contributions to this site are amazing, and I'm not trying to be a jerk (I actually just bought one of your inspired shifter extender mods from Chuck).  But, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this topic.  I road raced for several years and have done some track days since.  I agree that lighter is righter, but you can use more than 100 HP on the road if done prudently.  I'm a father of two young children so I don't do anything as foolish as I did when young and single, but I live out in the country and when I have an open road with a LONG sight line and no intersecting roads/drive ways, it's pretty damn fun to let that motor rip - in short bursts.  

I also used to ride way too fast on the road, but that was a long time ago and on an "only" 100hp R6.  I'm old enough to know how to be responsible with a powerful bike; I guess that maturity level probably makes the difference between riding over your head and just having fun on these newer high-HP bikes.

All that said, it's more the massive torque that I use out of corners that's the most fun on this bike for me vs top-end HP.  :)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TommyA said:

I know you're contributions to this site are amazing, and I'm not trying to be a jerk (I actually just bought one of your inspired shifter extender mods from Chuck).  But, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this topic.  I road raced for several years and have done some track days since.  I agree that lighter is righter, but you can use more than 100 HP on the road if done prudently.  I'm a father of two young children so I don't do anything as foolish as I did when young and single, but I live out in the country and when I have an open road with a LONG sight line and no intersecting roads/drive ways, it's pretty damn fun to let that motor rip - in short bursts.  

I also used to ride way too fast on the road, but that was a long time ago and on an "only" 100hp R6.  I'm old enough to know how to be responsible with a powerful bike; I guess that maturity level probably makes the difference between riding over your head and just having fun on these newer high-HP bikes.

All that said, it's more the massive torque that I use out of corners that's the most fun on this bike for me vs top-end HP.  :)

All good we can have different ideas:) I'm just getting old I guess. One of my friends that updates his bike regularly measures his age by whether or not hes got "one more sports bike in me":)

Ciao  

• Like 2

These are also not V11, but Guzzi homage to the DrJohn era of racing. Keep an eye on the CSRA (Classic Suprbike Racing Association, not CRSA [Can’t Remember *Stuff* Association:glare:):

image.jpeg

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ciao

That's more or less how I feel about my 939 Supersport.

I must agree with having some disregard for the  "donor bike" mash-ups being called "customs" these days for the sake of showing off someone's design and fabrication ideas. Especially when the donor was something I admire (read: V11). :glare:

Yet, in an effort to steer Kane's original topic back from our (interesting) detour(s), here is, bar-none, my favourite V11 Custom built, and ridden, by our treasured member @knumbnutz :

Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Cafe Racer and Ducati St2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1