Weight of stock mufflers

4corsa

I just shipped a pair of OEM aluminum oval slip-ons from my '03 Le Mans. The actual weight per the UPS digital scale was 23.72 lbs. I figure the box and packing material was maybe 1.5 - 2lbs max. So the stock cans weigh 11 lbs each (+ or - a few ounces).

I wish I had an accurate method to weigh my oval carbon Mistrals before installing them, but they certainly are a lot lighter. My best guess is they weigh between 4 and 5lbs each. So total weight saved should be 12lbs.

• Like 1

Get a glass-topped digital food scale from Amazon. Less than $15. I use one to weigh out green coffee beans before I roast them. We have two of these. Zero problems.

https://smile.amazon.com/AccuWeight-scale-Multifunction-Capacity-Tempered/dp/B013WU0CZW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=accuweight+scale&qid=1592254359&sr=8-2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That sounds about right on the savings. 
you could probably look up your oval mistrals online and find the advertised weight.

my ST4 of about the same vintage had a 9lb savings going from stock to aftermarket carbon.

i just pulled a set of aluminum stock cans off my lemans, but they actually came from a sport, and were installed by the PO. Actually sounded pretty good, and I guess now I know why...  They must have been cored, because they were (are) quite light.  They’re way lighter than the two sets of stock lemans cans that I have on the shelf. 

9 hours ago, po18guy said:

Get a glass-topped digital food scale from Amazon. Less than $15. I use one to weigh out green coffee beans before I roast them. We have two of these. Zero problems.

https://smile.amazon.com/AccuWeight-scale-Multifunction-Capacity-Tempered/dp/B013WU0CZW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=accuweight+scale&qid=1592254359&sr=8-2

Just use your bathroom scales. Weigh yourself, get the number then pick up a muffler and see what the new figure is. Thats how I weigh the dog:)

Ciao

The stock La Franconis are super heavy. Mistrals (aluminum) are probably half the weight. Maybe 5lbs(good guess). I've installed steel ones that are probably lighter. Your carbons are even lighter. My M3 carbons were under 4lbs (even lighter now after I had them cut). 

As for shipping it's a tough call to guestimate due to packing. Bubble wrap is best. Where they'll get you is on mass. I think I paid $30 shipping my carbons. Using your own scale to guess is pointless since UPS or Fed Ex will rule by theirs.. 

Sorry for the rant. 

Hi, 4Corsa. 

I bought your old exhaust. I weighed them. They were 10.2 pounds each. I don't know what the exhaust on my 2000 'Greenie' is called, cylindrical cans wrapped in 'carbon fiber' adhesive, but they are 5.2 pounds each. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Purloined said:

Hi, 4Corsa. 

I bought your old exhaust. I weighed them. They were 10.2 pounds each. I don't know what the exhaust on my 2000 'Greenie' is called, cylindrical cans wrapped in 'carbon fiber' adhesive, but they are 5.2 pounds each. 

The cylindrical carbon fiber aren't wraps like the later, oval "wrapped" LaFranconi. At 5.2 pounds, these are actual cf, "probably" made by Mistral for Moto Guzzi as "For Off Road Only" accessories or their equivalent.

• Like 1

Makes sense, docc.

They are 'straight through' pipes. Like telescopes without lenses. I can see from one end to the other (sans magnification). They're throaty, but not obnoxious.

My brother in California says that the type of pipe is not legal in his state. My 2000 V11 had these pipes on it when I bought it. I didn't know if they were stock or aftermarket. From what you're describing, they're obviously add-ons. They sound better than the exhaust I bought from 4Corsa. And half the weight as well. The cf is def a veneer. I peeled it off the old pipes; tapped and plugged the two holes that must have been meant for attaching a logo with ss screws. 

More better. 

• Like 1

Interesting. I had the end cap off my "For Off Road Use Only" Moto Guzzi accessory canister and was surprised the cf was like 1/4"/ 6mm thick.

What was under the wrap?

I wonder if it was a titanium can wrapped in carbon fiber looking stuff or a steel can (maybe stainless). At that weight it would have to be some pretty thin steel I would think. The other option would be an aluminum can. That is a possibility.

The wife's cans have a metal tag riveted on them saying "Not For Street Use".

• Like 1

I can't tell if the exhaust is stainless or aluminum. The veneer of the 'carbon fiber' was a thin, plastic, adhesive. It peeled off pretty easily. There were two holes under the cf skin that I assume were for a riveted logo of some sort. I threaded them  and plugged them with stainless steel button head fasteners. I like them much better with the cf stripped off. It wasn't aging well. 

IMG_5173.JPG

Those look like my Moto Guzzi Accessory "For Off Road Use Only" canisters (presumably Mistral made), but in stainless (not cf). Most of us removed the little placards, and filled the holes. Seems a previous owner also went for the wrap on yours.  I'm with you: looks best the way you have them now! :thumbsup:

• Like 1