MASS moto exhaust custom made,thoughts?

Anders

I had an 1100 sport ie with a Staintune exhaust that I really liked.Apart from being very well built and had a nice deep sound it was really good torque and throttle response from 3000-6500 rpm.

Now with a V11 LeMans I have looked around to find a replacement with those specs. to get the same result on this bike.

So I ordered a full exhaust system from MASS moto in Italy 42mm ID all the way from cylinder to end of silencers.

I got a picture of it sent to me before they shipped it.

What are your thoughts on especially the crossover part?

I have recently done a neck surgery,so I have restrictions to using my arms for quite some time.Otherwise I would just put it on and see what happends.That's why I'm posting this.

I guess I'm just curious and can't wait..

Link:

https://www.massmoto.it/

anders v11 pre-packaging.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

The crossover looks unusual.. but so what? I'll bet you will like it.

Yes it's a proper cross over chuck, somewhat like the Stucchi but the full version where the two pipes "kiss" at the curve with a connection formed between. What creates the pulse is the sharp change in cross section more than the shape of the connection. This looks like it will work. Be interested to see a dyno comparo with the Stucchi. One thing though, I'm hoping there is rubber isolator/s on the crossover mount. There's also an extra slip joint thats not necessary on the crossover as well. 

Ciao 

• Like 3

Thank for your input.

Chuck: That's what I'm hoping.

Lucky Phil: Great! You also think it will work well.About the crossover mount,yes I thought of that too,I will have to use something for the vibration.

One good thing is that the three main parts fits to stock exhaust so,lots of posibillities.

It should be possible to use a Stucchi with the rest of the parts.I guess it's going to be alot of testing in a couple of months when the neck is OK.

3 hours ago, Anders said:

Thank for your input.

Chuck: That's what I'm hoping.

Lucky Phil: Great! You also think it will work well.About the crossover mount,yes I thought of that too,I will have to use something for the vibration.

One good thing is that the three main parts fits to stock exhaust so,lots of posibillities.

It should be possible to use a Stucchi with the rest of the parts.I guess it's going to be alot of testing in a couple of months when the neck is OK.

Great, look forward to seeing images of the system on the bike and how it performs.

Ciao

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Great, look forward to seeing images of the system on the bike and how it performs.

Ciao

Oh yes,I can promise there will be pictures and dynocharts or butt dyno comments.

• Like 2

Hard to tell from the angle of the pic, but that looks more like an X pipe than a crossover.

A picture of it from directly above should make the design clearer.

There are different style crossovers. Some merge the two pipes together and then back apart as smoothly as possible (those are the ones I like). Other choices simply allow the two pipes to share exhaust duties. And some use the X pipe design, but the X pipe design is more common on old muscle cars (perhaps that would also work well on a Guzzi with its old fashioned design).

Are you sure you don't mean H-pipe ? These were on factory dual exhaust cars in the 60s and had some kind of affect on the performance .

3 hours ago, gstallons said:

Are you sure you don't mean H-pipe ? These were on factory dual exhaust cars in the 60s and had some kind of affect on the performance .

Personally I use "crossover" as a generic term not a descriptive one. So there are merged crossovers, "H" crossovers etc.

Then there are "collectors" of varying configurations which merge pipes but dont change their direction. Same principle and results as a cross over to produce a negative pulse wave back towards the cylinder/s. I guess the term "crossover is used when the exhaust from one bank of cylinders or cylinder can be redirected to another bank or cylinders secondary pipes, so a twin cylinder Y shaped connection isn't a crossover but a collector. Some V8 cars use a cross over after the header collectors and that fits my definition as well.  

Ciao    

• Like 1

How about "Collector"? That MASS Moto system looks good, and seems to be a mid or semi-high mount. Am guessing they are long out of print, as the website only shows the newer Piazzis. Yank V8s had crossovers or equalizers due to the odd firing interval/order. True balanced headers had tubes that crossed from side to side to take advantage of cylinder scavenging.  Here is a less-than-exhausting article which explains:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/180-degree-headers-help-v8s-low-midrange-torque/

So, is the factory V11 mid-way exhaust junction with the internal baffle more of a collector, crossover, pre-muffler, or all-of-the-above?

29 minutes ago, docc said:

So, is the factory V11 mid-way exhaust junction with the internal baffle more of a collector, crossover, pre-muffler, or all-of-the-above?

You would need to see how it's flow path works internally docc before you could label it. I suspect it dumps into a common chamber by some convoluted means and finds it's way out via 2 outlets in an add hoc fashion. Probably doesn't matter too much anyway it's just semantics. We all understand what we mean on a Guzzi when you say "crossover"

Ciao

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, docc said:

Ah, Ford GT 40's "Den-of-Snakes!"

xx1xlhihugg31.jpg

Lovely headers on my favourite car. You can see how they arrange the collectors from different banks and cylinders so they crosstalk. All depends on the firing order and what your're looking for in a torque curve as well as whether or not it uses a cross plane crank or a flat crank. Exhaust science, complicated.

Ciao 

• Like 1