NGK plug caps on OEM wires

antmanbee

I have some new NGK LB05F plug caps that I am thinking about installing on my V11 on the stock OEM wires.

My question is are the OEM wires solid core and what is the best way to remove the MTA caps on there now?

Are the V11 MTA OEM caps junk like I have read about on other Guzzi models?

MOST caps that go on solid core wires screw onto the wire . Look down into the cap , you will see what looks like a sheet metal screw .This goes into the solid core . 

An original wire may be bonded to the cap and you will have to cut the  wire to discard the original cap . 

I have used the NGK caps before and I know how they screw onto the solid core wires.

I didn't want to ruin the old wires and make it unridable if the wires were not solid core and I could not screw in the new NGK caps.

I will order new wires if they are not solid core and then use the new caps.

My other Tonti frame Guzzi's had solid core wires.

Well , here is the news . Caps only screw onto solid core wires. It can be done , but it would be stupid . Resistor wires use crimped on ends and a tail of the inside lead is exposed and folded over when the end is crimped on .  

There is NO need to use a resistor cap on resistor wires . It would be redundant and serve no purpose .

They are solid core wires . You can verify this by removing the caps and looking into the end of the cable and see copper strands . 

I just happed to have a pair of the NGK caps in my box of spares and I have read on various models about the problematic caps.

I have not read of bad caps on the V11's and that was one of my questions, are they problematic?

I have replaced the caps on a few of my other bikes that have solid core wires and usually I just replace the plug end because it is much more frequently pulled on and off, while the coil end is rarely disturbed. I like the nice solid feel of the NGK cap on the threaded plug end.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, footgoose said:

Why just the caps? easier than dealing with the coil end? just curious as I have a damaged cap and deciding how best to proceed.

Yes , replace the plug cap only . You would NOT want to swap wires because you would probably end up removing the tank 

IDK the r value of the OEM cap . 5k sounds about right . I would check a good one and try to get caps w/the same r value just to be safe . 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought NGK solid core wires with 5K caps. It looks like the coil end is replaceable but haven't had them apart yet. Has anyone attempted replacing the wires to the coils and how did it turn out?

I sourced a metal end to crimp to the wire core folded over the side and plug into the coil.

You know, from a real parts store. The dimly lit kind with greasy hardwood floors and a handful of guys that know where little parts are stowed in cardboard boxes on plywood shelves.  :oldgit:

IMG_5911.jpg

• Like 2