Fitness Exercise Question

LowRyter

On 6/22/2020 at 4:10 PM, LowRyter said:

(actually Bev and I talk about whenever I've had a bad day at the gym.  Sometimes the weights can feel pretty heavy.)

I wonder about having a banana or two on those days where I am making a long 300-500 mile ride?  Sure couldn't hurt.

That suggests that you need some bloodwork, John.  Muscles don't get stronger and weaker on random days; however,  spotty levels of "fuels" such as vitamins, etc, can cause spotty performance, pain, and stiffness.  As for leg exercises, strength isn't your problem.  I'd bet my house that your calves, hip flexors, and extensors are tight.  Don't worry, that describes almost every man in the world over the age of 30.  :)

Physical therapy or gentle yoga will fix you up.  Personally, after working with PTs for 30 years, I'd try yoga first.

2 hours ago, velofish said:

That suggests that you need some bloodwork, John.  Muscles don't get stronger and weaker on random days; however,  spotty levels of "fuels" such as vitamins, etc, can cause spotty performance, pain, and stiffness.  As for leg exercises, strength isn't your problem.  I'd bet my house that your calves, hip flexors, and extensors are tight.  Don't worry, that describes almost every man in the world over the age of 30.  :)

Physical therapy or gentle yoga will fix you up.  Personally, after working with PTs for 30 years, I'd try yoga first.

Thanks, I'll get my annual blood work physical in Sept.  Cramping and bad days in the gym aren't  a new condition for me.  I was curious about the exercise machine and hoping to get info regarding supplements.  

So, would the stretching machine exercises help my legs riding the the Sport?  I have ridden the bike from OKC to North Carolina.  But my hammies and knees get a little tired where I can only go for an hour or so.  I rode my Ducati for a 100+ today.   I was able to keep it off the interstate and move around on it.  And feel good.  I did the stretching machine Monday.

BTW- 36 years past thirty.  Watching those gals doing yoga, that looks too hard for me.  That is too serious on another level.   (I think those classes  are cancelled for COVID.)

Thanks  for your advice.

25 minutes ago, vtwins4life said:

My bad - I see you already have an EV. Problem solved! 

VT4L

actually I don't find the EV particularly comfortable.  Hard seat.  But so long as I can rest me toes on the rear of the floorboards, the riding position is OK.  For two-up, not so much.

Paul, is "super B complex" the same as the vitamin B Dorcia is taking? She has a really bad problem with cramps at night.. waking her up and she has to get up, etc.

I've started my leg exercises and am a little stiff (despite that I have been doing elliptical training for years).  I've got some Vit B as well.

Hi Chuck, The stuff I'm taking is called  Super Vitamin B-Complex and is an assortment of the B vitamin family. Spring Valley brand but there are others .

Paul B

I think the bicycles make a lot of sense.  I haven't ridden in years.  We're not bicycle friendly here.  

Cymru must be an exotic country?  (Google tell me, it's in Wales.  I think my maternal Grandma had some Welch ancestry) 

Cymru is Wales, in Welsh. Dunno about exotic, but it's a great country.

Took up mountain biking about 8years ago & despite the years, never been so fit! 

Try the hip flexor stretches!

Scura road small.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, paulnaz said:

Hi Chuck, The stuff I'm taking is called  Super Vitamin B-Complex and is an assortment of the B vitamin family. Spring Valley brand but there are others .

Paul B

Taking that exactly.  I will say that I've had a pretty busy day and felt pretty good for it.  Side effect: pee looks like Mtn Dew

21 hours ago, paulnaz said:

Paul B

Thanks, Paul.. I'll give her a heads up.

FWIW, cramping (spontaneous myospasm) is a function of electrolyte (mineral) deficiency or imbalance often exacerbated by mineral loss from exertion, heat/humidity exposure, prescription hyertension medications ("blood pressure pills"), prescription diuretics ("water pills"), dietary diuretics (coffee, alcohol), and subclinical dehydration (not enough water intake).

While potassium is one of the mineral electrolytes, magnesium is also involved as are others, including sodium, manganese, chromium, selenium, etc. Often, branded supplements will contain their "title" content (B-complex or C), but also some electrolytes causing one to assume it is the "title" content providing the outcome. An example is the product "Emergen-C", a drink mix that contains a broad spectrum electrolyte effective for cramp control in many cases. It is not the Vitamin C that affects the cramping, but the electrolytes. Seek a broad spectrum electrolyte capsule and be aware that too much magnesium yields laxative effects.

Be aware that B-complex vitamins (not so much B-12) stimulate the energy metabolism and should be avoided late in the day lest they lead to a bad night's sleep and a grumpy tomorrow . . . :angry:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1