LED Headlight

freehme

I have a 2003 Lemans and was wondering if anyone has replaced their stock headlight with a newer brighter LED one?  Just trying to find what options work with the stock fairing and bucket and what doesn't.

Thanks

• Like 1

I did see a thread about this, but it was back in 2013.   Also, any issue with running LED lights with the stock electrical. For example, if I want to update the turn signals, brake, and headlights.

• Like 1

After other attempts at brighter headlamp (and tail/turn), I've had good results with this VintageCars unit. This post also takes you to thread with other options, including links and experiences with tail and turn signal LED:

My Greenie has an LED Headlight that the PO "Scud" installed in it, I'm not sure what it is but it works awesome!!  Everything is contained inside the headlight bucket.

Don't know if the headlight buckets are the same, but I have swapped out all lights on my '04 Ballabio for LED units. If it matters, the bucket is plastic and has the QD harness which attaches at the bottom rear of the recess intended for the OEM H4 bulb and harness. The "bulb" is a unit from Infitary (eBay). It has Philips ZES diodes, a cooling fan and the separate driver. I wrapped the driver in some thin closed cell foam to prevent it from rattling. Many LED 9003/H4 units will have provision for rotating the unit to achieve the beam pattern that suits you. 

The taillight is an LED unit from Clear Alternatives and came with the bike. As to signals, I used "iBrightstar" 7507 (BAU15S) units with projector lenses in front. About $17/pair on Amazon. Much brighter and more focused light than the incandescent bulbs. In the rear I have some generic projector lens LED units that seem roughly equivalent to those in from but cost considerably less. Time will tell on this. To prevent hyper flash, I bought a two-pin adjustable flash rate LED flasher unit on eBay.   

When I have the gauge cluster apart, I also have some LED T5 units for the warning lights and gauge illumination. Would like to change the signal indicator lights to yellow from the green that MG thought made sense...

Headlight: https://smile.amazon.com/INFITARY-Headlight-Headlamp-10000LM-Warranty/dp/B07V36DVLB/ref=sr_1_40?dchild=1&keywords=9003+led&qid=1593627161&sr=8-40

Signals: https://smile.amazon.com/iBrightstar-Newest-Bright-Projector-replacement/dp/B075Q9RGZW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ibrightstar+7507&qid=1593626377&sr=8-1

• Like 2

Good point, po18guy makes, that the early steel buckets like mine and KINDOY/Scud's Greenie differ from the later plastic buckets. "V11 Sport"  throughout the years used the fork mounted steel Bosch unit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freehme said:

I was wanting to do something like this, instead of just replacing the bulbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Approved-Headlamp-Motorcycle-Headlight-Signal/dp/B07P5WFFQG/ref=psdc_8323684011_t3_B071Z6JQCF

If the reflector housing is the standard 7" unit with the three indexing tabs around the perimeter, it "should" drop right in. Knowing MG, they may have used some obscure proprietary unit. I guess one would have to compare the LM unit to a standard 7" automotive sealed beam as to the attaching/indexing points for compatibility.

As bright as we oldsters thought H4 halogen units were back in the day, LED is a world apart as well as a blessing for bikes which have marginal charging systems.  

• Like 1

Yeah, been running one for a few years now.
I machined up the housing for it to replace out the old chrome one.
Later I met a local entrepreneur who runs and owns Purpose built moto and he now makes them and sells them as part of of the Flashpoint series.
He also has a couple of dealers around the world too.
Have a look at his website..

https://purposebuiltmoto.com/

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1