Sudden oil leak

po18guy

Rode big red about 5 miles and parked it. Came back 5 minutes later and saw drops on the ground. Originally thought it was A/C condensation from the car before me. On the ride home, got a little squirrelly on a left turn. Hmmm. At home, the left side is dripping oil. What? OK, where's it coming from? Mind racessSS$$$.  Trace it uphill, right? Stops at the left valve cover. But, all of a sudden? Pondered quizzically for a moment - then glanced at the name on the tank. Ah. Tightened the valve cover bolts which were not really loose, but not really tight. Now, to S-100 the left side, focusing on the rear tire and disc. I try to avoid the paint with S-100 as it is rather stout stuff and dulls the sheen.

I gave up on S-100 after it did bad things to various finishes and fasteners on the Sport.

Following Chuck's inimitable lead, I am now a devotee of SuperClean.  :thumbsup:

Glad you found it.  I had that once, just a few weeks into ownership... stopped at an intersection, oil leaking out pretty significantly., and was the infamous timing chain cover gasket leak that a number of the 2002 bikes suffered from.

• Like 2

I wonder about crankcase pressure. Those are pretty big pistons displacing 1064cc in both directions. Have not done tank-off yet, so  I don't know the crankcase vent system. But, whoever did the initial valve adjust either left the valve covers slightly loose, the gaskets compressed and needed re-torquing, or both. Have new gaskets, but would rather ride right about now. Like an XS650, pretty easy when the time comes.

As to cleaners, I didn't think SuperClean was quite strong enough. Purple Power seems stronger, and less damaging to finishes than S-100.

I recall, when so many hands pitched in to make a new valve cover gasket for Goofman's 1200Sport at a SpineRaid, the impressive amount of oil that came gushing from an unsealed valve cover . . .

Spine%20gasket_zpsasbc8z4k.jpg

(Don't forget this requires copious amounts of "gasket-making fluids" in bottle or can! :bier: )

• Like 2

I hope it doesn't drain back via the pushrod cavities! If ever an engine needed a dry sump! But, more complexity it needs not.

• Haha 1

Is there a favorite goop to apply to the gaskets, just install them bare or???

I generally use either synthetic grease, or 3M gasket maker (8001 or 8008), which keeps the cylinder head of my '87 Kawi 500 (with original rubber head cover gasket) leak-free.

21 hours ago, docc said:

I recall, when so many hands pitched in to make a new valve cover gasket for Goofman's 1200Sport at a SpineRaid, the impressive amount of oil that came gushing from an unsealed valve cover . . .

Spine%20gasket_zpsasbc8z4k.jpg

(Don't forget this requires copious amounts of "gasket-making fluids" in bottle or can! :bier: )

Looks like a few adult beverages are required for to complete the task. Lol

• Haha 1

On my valve covers , Roper plate gaskets , etc. , I used Hylomar on one side of the gaskets only . If I were replacing the timing cover gasket , I'd have to think about it for a while and look at the distance between bolt holes . This is one you would only want to do ONE time with no mistakes .  

One thing for certain , no silicone gasket "stuff" on gaskets . I saw an oil pump gasket pushed out because of this . Once bitten , twice shy .

1 hour ago, gstallons said:

On my valve covers , Roper plate gaskets , etc. , I used Hylomar on one side of the gaskets only . If I were replacing the timing cover gasket , I'd have to think about it for a while and look at the distance between bolt holes . This is one you would only want to do ONE time with no mistakes .  

One thing for certain , no silicone gasket "stuff" on gaskets . I saw an oil pump gasket pushed out because of this . Once bitten , twice shy .

If you're doing the timing cover gasket( front engine cover gasket?) you now use the metal gasket with the pressure sensitive sealant also sold by MG cycles for the later big block engines. Totally bullet proof and the same as Ducati twins have been using for years on their valve cover gaskets and head gaskets. I havent used one of those horrid old composite gaskets that blow out on a front engine cover for years.

Ciao

• Like 3