Sudden oil leak

po18guy

On July 5, 2020 at 5:09 PM, pete roper said:

MG cycle carry them, not under the Valpolini name though I think

I contacted MG and...

"But they are actually manufactured by a company like Sesallt or Centauro. Maybe Athena Moto Gasket. Many places make gaskets, Valpolini is not one of them. I think in the link you provide, you'll see the words "Moto" and "Gasket" printed on the gasket. Those are Athena. Point is, that the gasket is .8mm, rather than the standard .5mm stock Guzzi gasket. That's why those people swear by them."

MG also has the coated metal gaskets, but lists them only for the post-V11 models (Breva, Griso, Norge). Is this what we are speaking of and is it compatible with the V11?

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4634:18fc72d8b8aba03a4d84f66efabce82e     

Yes, they're the ones. They'll work with any squarefin.

No, Valpolini may not make them but they were the first supplier to carry them AFAIK and quite likely suggested that whoever makes them make them. I know them ad Valpolini gaskets because that's where they were originally purchased from by the Oz importer.

• Thanks 1

I call it Guzzi foot.  The valve cover leaks all over you.  I blame myself for buggering the gaskets, whether paper or silicone.

I remember when Bev and me took a vacation in southern Michigan.  We were riding back from Grad Rapids to South Haven on the EV.  It started to leak, so I tightened  the bolts.  Then it rained oil-  I'd guess a quart all over out clothes.  Soaked in oil from knees to toe.   I took of the valve cover and straightened the silicon gasket and we were good to go.

Last valve adjustment on the Sport and I saw the paper gaskets were firmly attached-no breaks.  I just but it back on and I didn't touch the gaskets. 

I could tell you about the mickey mouse gaskets on my 4 cyl Suzuki Bandit.  The valve adjustment is easier than a Guzzi.  Getting the valve cover o, is an ordeal.

1 hour ago, pete roper said:

Yes, they're the ones. They'll work with any squarefin.

No, Valpolini may not make them but they were the first supplier to carry them AFAIK and quite likely suggested that whoever makes them make them. I know them ad Valpolini gaskets because that's where they were originally purchased from by the Oz importer.

Ah, thank you much! That clears it up completely and I am surprised that they are not $100 each! 

4 hours ago, po18guy said:

I contacted MG and...

"But they are actually manufactured by a company like Sesallt or Centauro. Maybe Athena Moto Gasket. Many places make gaskets, Valpolini is not one of them. I think in the link you provide, you'll see the words "Moto" and "Gasket" printed on the gasket. Those are Athena. Point is, that the gasket is .8mm, rather than the standard .5mm stock Guzzi gasket. That's why those people swear by them."

MG also has the coated metal gaskets, but lists them only for the post-V11 models (Breva, Griso, Norge). Is this what we are speaking of and is it compatible with the V11?

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4634:18fc72d8b8aba03a4d84f66efabce82e     

It doesn't matter they fit the V11. My 2 valve motor has 1100 Griso valve covers.

Ciao

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

It doesn't matter they fit the V11. My 2 valve motor has 1100 Griso valve covers.

Ciao

Prego!

Hey, while we're here, any practical difference between HiFlo and the OEM Ufi oil filters? Inquiring minds and guzzinoobs wanna know...

1 minute ago, po18guy said:

Prego!

There are two styles of the metal gaskets at least for the front cover. The Valpolini style is metal core with a slightly coarse black surface finish. The other style has the metal core but a smooth black finish. This is the Ducati style and the same as later 1100 head gaskets which BTW fit the earlier bikes and give you a little increase in compression and a useful reduction/improvement in the squish. I have a set of these for my 2 valve engine as well for the next time the heads are off.

Ciao 

23 minutes ago, po18guy said:

Prego!

Hey, while we're here, any practical difference between HiFlo and the OEM Ufi oil filters? Inquiring minds and guzzinoobs wanna know...

Ones a black colour and ones white? :) Not really sure to be honest. I read a lot about car oil filters a few years ago and have an opinion there but not the bike ones. Maybe I should do some research as I'm about to change out my filter on the new engine from a UFI to a HiFlo.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ones a black colour and ones white? :) Not really sure to be honest. I read a lot about car oil filters a few years ago and have an opinion there but not the bike ones. Maybe I should do some research as I'm about to change out my filter on the new engine from a UFI to a HiFlo.

Ciao

According to MG, the production alternates between 8 and 14 flutes. So, two wrenches then?  Am thinking that my uni-wrench from Cycle Gear might work in either case. 

Screen%20Shot%202020-07-07%20at%2012.15.

9 minutes ago, po18guy said:

According to MG, the production alternates between 8 and 14 flutes. So, two wrenches then?  Am thinking that my uni-wrench from Cycle Gear might work in either case. 

Screen%20Shot%202020-07-07%20at%2012.15.

Just watched a Youtube comparo between some filters and the Hiflow came out well compared to a K&N a Wix and a Fram for what thats worth. Pretty basic comparo I must admit.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Oh, boy.. an oil filter thread. :D You literally couldn't give me an UFI. There have been many manufacturing QC "difficulties" over the years. Bad gaskets, leaking at the seam, and poor paint prep. I'm *pretty* sure that a run of bad gaskets caused the whole "hose clamp" fiasco. Guzzi delivered bikes with the Bosch 3330 for a while during one of UFIs screw ups. The made in Mexico Frams used to be crap. Dunno any more.

• Like 1

So, the take-a-way is:

1. Change your oil.

2. Use a filter.

Seems simple enough. So why does the Ford/Chevy debate always rage on? As Guzzi owners, I get the impression that we are all part of a widely dispersed somewhat dysfunctional but very passionate Italian family. And having grown up across the street from some 1st generation Italian Americans, arguing among them is an art form.

EDIT: Well, it's all academic now, if it wasn't before. Ordered the metal gaskets, 2 Hiflo filters and the double secret key to the mysterious door in the sump which holds the filter. All from MG, as I'm sure they can use the business. Even though the filter is enclosed, I am reminded of Cycle Magazine's comments in their test of the original 850 LeMans. "18 bolts and a glass of Perrier" to access the filter - what? No San Pellegrino? 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Chuck said:

Oh, boy.. an oil filter thread. :D You literally couldn't give me an UFI. There have been many manufacturing QC "difficulties" over the years. Bad gaskets, leaking at the seam, and poor paint prep. I'm *pretty* sure that a run of bad gaskets caused the whole "hose clamp" fiasco. Guzzi delivered bikes with the Bosch 3330 for a while during one of UFIs screw ups. The made in Mexico Frams used to be crap. Dunno any more.

Will somebody here buy/test a Purolator PL14476 and see what it's like for fit, function and quality? I'd need to import one and it's only worth it if I order a few. Just like to confirm the fit more than anything else. I know Purolator are probably the best filter around.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Ciao

27 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Will somebody here buy/test a Purolator PL14476 and see what it's like for fit, function and quality? I'd need to import one and it's only worth it if I order a few. Just like to confirm the fit more than anything else. I know Purolator are probably the best filter around.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Ciao

Until then, here is the comparison of the "recommended" motorsports filter and the "Boss" PBL14476.

FILTER%20COMPARISON.png

The Boss is claimed to be their best. Given the dimensions, threads, etc, is that enough to figure it out? I note that on amazon, the Boss is actually cheaper by a buck or two.

1 minute ago, po18guy said:

Until then, here is the comparison of the "recommended" motorsports filter and the "Boss" PBL14476.

FILTER%20COMPARISON.png

The Boss is claimed to be their best. Given the dimensions, threads, etc, is that enough to figure it out? I note that on amazon, the Boss is actually cheaper by a buck or two.

Thanks for that, I can measure a Hiflo and compare. I was wondering if someone would risk the 10 bucks or so and try one on the next change and confirm fit and function before I waste the multi purchase and shipping from the US

Ciao