damaged black engine color

Lars Lindqvist

How to repair small damaged surface on the gravelly (right word?) black colored V11 Le Mans engine? Just small parts, made by previous owner, but very annoying. both sides of the rubberplug for the ignition timing on the flyweel. Grateful for every advice.

106993426_268869880880437_1922038219942847809_n.jpg

"Gravelly" is a good word for the 2002 black paint!

Seems it would be hard to just touch up those areas without finishing the whole cases. I hear (from Scud and @footgoose) what a big job that is. 

• Like 1

I wasn't too bothered by the bubbling paint, but I did take advantage of the motor being out for clutch replacement to strip and paint it. I did not do the transmission as it did not seem affected. If the motor is not being removed, I would touch up with brushed flat black hobby enamel. The rest of the bike showing is pretty clean, how many miles on her?

• Like 2

There's a Harley Davidson textured paint that is meant to be similar. I bought a touch up pen some time ago after someone recommended it, but I haven't tried it yet.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

12 hours ago, footgoose said:

I wasn't too bothered by the bubbling paint, but I did take advantage of the motor being out for clutch replacement to strip and paint it. I did not do the transmission as it did not seem affected. If the motor is not being removed, I would touch up with brushed flat black hobby enamel. The rest of the bike showing is pretty clean, how many miles on her?

Hi and Thanks, yes the bike is in good condition, has 23000 km on the meter. I bought it 5 months ago and like it very much, but think that damage is a bit sad, can't understand how it occured.  Lars

IMG_20200404_195231-1.jpg

17 minutes ago, Lars Lindqvist said:

Hi and Thanks, yes the bike is in good condition, has 23000 km on the meter. I bought it 5 months ago and like it very much, but think that damage is a bit sad, can't understand how it occured.  Lars

IMG_20200404_195231-1.jpg

Probably when they had the gearbox out and apart for the recall.

Ciao

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Paradiso said:

There's a Harley Davidson textured paint that is meant to be similar. I bought a touch up pen some time ago after someone recommended it, but I haven't tried it yet.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I bought the HD black textured paint as well, but also haven't given it a try yet.

It is supposed to be the same texture used on all HD engines for the last decade or so to present, and looking at the current HD bikes at the dealership the other day... the texture looks very similar to the "fuzzy" MG paint.

The HD part number that I bought is 98606BF "Texture Black"

Again, I haven't tested it yet.

• Like 1

I repainted a rear drive one time with the Harley paint.. and to me it looks more coarse.

I really doubt that it will be noticeable as a patch, though.

I wouldn't blame the previous owner,it was a design flaw from the factory and was recalled for a couple years.If you have a black engine and ride and work on it,you're gonna have chips.The way to prevent it? Repaint it and put it up on a stand in the living room and don't touch it...I would use "textured" to describe the paint finish.But most Swedes speak better English than the average American so I wouldn't be too critical of a translation error...:D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1