One strange electrical problem

cosmo

Hello all. I have a head scratcher of an issue. Went for a ride on the Coppa with a friend on his CX100 yesterday. I made it a very short distance and the bike died. Rolled it back to the shop. Thankfully close enough to roll it back. I have no idea where to begin looking in order to  resolve the issue.
SYMPTOMS;    Turn ignition on, no dash lights. No lights anywhere. After 5 or so seconds the neutral light begins to glow very dimly  followed several seconds later by the oil light.  Over 5 to 10 seconds the lights will brighten to full power with the taillight joining in and coming from dim to full brightness also. No headlight. After several seconds the lights will begin to flash or pulse to half brightness and back again. The rear most relay will be clicking on and off during the flashing.
I recently installed LED turn signals, tail stop light, and headlight as well as a new flasher unit in order to free up voltage for more lights. Have driven several hundred miles since with no issue. I think I'll pull all of those off to see if that may affect anything. If anyone has an idea as to where to start looking I would be very appreciative.  Thanks for listening to my whining.      Cosmo

Easy , what is your battery voltage with key off ? It had better be above 12.65 v

What is the battery voltage with key on engine off ? ______

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Easy , what is your battery voltage with key off ? It had better be above 12.65 v

What is the battery voltage with key on engine off ? ______

12.69 v. Also, if starter button is pushed a slight starting click is heard and everything returns to lights off and repeats

You either have a bad connection or a bad battery . I assume you are testing at the battery terminals ? Loosen and retighten them and test again .

• Like 1

Certainly does sound like a poor connection in the primary voltage. I recently had an odd low-current starting problem after a 40 mile freeway ride and a 15 minute rest. Engine barely turned over but did eventually start. I cleaned and tightened the battery terminals, the starter cable at the starter and tightened the ground cable at the transmission.  All better, so it was apparently somewhere in there. Will still have to remove, clean and reconnect the ground at the transmission, as I did not completely remove it. But still, starting is fine.  

Well, Mr gstallons was kind enough to contact me and suggested I also check the battery under load.  (Genius ! Yes I said it. And I'm embarrassed for not thinking to check it.) Having 12.69 v at rest I ASSUMED the battery was okay. It turns out it was registering 5 to 7 v with the ignition on.  Lesson 1 here; never ASSUME. Cover all the bases. Lesson 2; There's a great group of helpful people here in the V11 world. Thank you all. Lesson 3;  gstallons is just plain, old, smarter than me. Damn him !  Hats of to you gstallons, and thank you again !

• Like 4

Hey, gstallons rocks! :thumbsup::bier:

If you are running a Hawker Odyssey PC545, cosmo, consider a careful "conditioning" which includes verifying the charging voltages (once she starts):

I've been trying to research what Odyssey battery will fit. Of course no one shows that a Coppa exists in any of their fitment guides. I will usually  go with a late model Sport in situations such as this. The Odyssey website showed a PC925L as a fit for a 2001 Sport. 6.65 x 7.05 x 5.04 dimensions. Any idea if this is correct information and the correct size for a fit? Seems large by my measurements.

Yeah, the PC925 is way too big. I had one in my Daytona, really it was too big for that as well. Not sure why Odyssey lists it for some Guzzi's. I suspect it fits in certain Guzzi's, perhaps the Cali.

• Like 2