Top Triple Clamp Removal - V11

jwatches

Slip a sharp edge carefully under its edge and pry up.

Pretty sure I can find swooshdave's images of this . . .

Stand by, jwatches. Gonna move this question to TechTopics while I search for images and a link for you . . . .

8 hours ago, jwatches said:

Thanks DOCC.  Apparently its just a plug, so I should be able to fashion a tool for the job.

Will let you know how hot glue on the end of a wood dowel works. If it can pull dents then it should...but MG might have used a hydraulic press to install it. :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, jwatches said:

Thanks DOCC.  Apparently its just a plug, so I should be able to fashion a tool for the job.

It comes out with a fingernail sometimes. No need for a tool.

Ciao

I wish the prior owners of Big Red would have tried that. The handlebar caps (same but smaller) look like vise grips were used on them. Little matter, as. I will be replacing the bolts with some nice tumble polished SS from RaceboltUK. 

1 hour ago, po18guy said:

I wish the prior owners of Big Red would have tried that. The handlebar caps (same but smaller) look like vise grips were used on them. Little matter, as. I will be replacing the bolts with some nice tumble polished SS from RaceboltUK. 

SS is a terrible material for fasteners, simply not enough elasticity. The majority of bolts on all my bikes are now Titanium which is a great fastener material and stays looking like new forever.

Ciao 

40 minutes ago, po18guy said:

OK, alloy then. That certainly stretches...

I have also used aluminium fasteners in the past but only in non critical items like clutch covers and engine valve covers etc. I havent used them now for years since Titanium became affordable. I source mine from Toronto Cycles in Canada and Chinese ebay ones.

Ciao  

Aluminum for a bolt ? stupid .BMW has them all over their automobile engines . If I am going to pare weight , I would lose 40lbs. instead of something this stupid .

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
SS is a terrible material for fasteners, simply not enough elasticity. The majority of bolts on all my bikes are now Titanium which is a great fastener material and stays looking like new forever.
Ciao 

Aluminum and Titanium is almost at the opposite ends of the galvanic series. No concern about corrosion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, hammershaug said:

Aluminum and Titanium is almost at the opposite ends of the galvanic series. No concern about corrosion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, none at all. Been using them on bikes for years and no issues. It's wise to use a tiny amount anti seize on the threads though having said that I have plenty that I haven't bothered with. I see the reference to the the galvanic table quoted a bit from time to time but I've never suffered an issue with any of the supposed differential issues. If I was contemplating a structure like a suspension bridge that had to weather the elements for a hundred years and had inaccessible components then I'd be concerned, or on certain aircraft primary structure components that are difficult to inspect the same but for nuts and bolts on a motorcycle, no.

Pretty much every single nut, bolt and washer on a Motogp bike and F1 car will be titanium.

Ciao   

Good to hear! I guess you have great access to bolts at your workplace:)

A friend of mine worked at SAS for many years doing heavy maintenance on the SAS fleet, and they discover some ugly things due to the combination of titanium, aluminum, and SS.