In the past, I have gone down WoG (without gear). Young, foolish, ignorant, mostly happy. Ahh... but once again I digress. I prefer not crashing, but with gear if I must. Recently bought a couple of Spidi jackets for a relatively good price. They do not come with back protectors. Hmmm. Looked around and it seems that CorTech has one of the best accessory spine/kidney protectors, all things considered. It's called the Latigo and retails for about $90. Found a new w/tags example for less than half that, shipped to my house.

Tried it today with the Spidi mesh jacket on an 80+ degree day: rural, freeway and traffic. Not bad. Was much cooler than I thought. Level 2 Euro protection level. (2 prior back surgeries), plus side "wings" for kidney protection (stage 3 kidney disease). You wear it like a back-pack and it also has a cross-chest strap to better hold it in place. Wide straps with elastic tensioners across the belly (yeah, that too). You know you are wearing something, but to me it feels pretty much like an elastic back support. T-shirt did not stick to my back, at ride's end, so it ventilates rather well. 

If I broke scapula, glenoid and right ribs 4-9 into 12 pieces using only 498cc, just imagine what 1064cc could do! 

LATIGO.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 6:38 PM, po18guy said:

In the past, I have gone down WoG (without gear). Young, foolish, ignorant, mostly happy.

It’s really important to be happy! Your back protector looks like a good piece. Along those lines, a lot of retailers are closing out the Cortech Piuma jackets. These are mesh hot weather jackets with leather bits for protection and equipped with CE elbow, shoulder, and back protectors. I think they were $300+ jackets when in production and I got one from Revzilla for $179. The fit is just ok for me, but I really needed something for the summer heat we’re in now, and I wanted the elbow, shoulder and back protectors. My main riding  jacket is an old-school Cal-Leather jacket. It’s a hot and heavy beast. Thick horse hide, but too hot right now, and old-school “we don’t need no stinking armor!” I have a jacket and riding pants being made for me by Vanson as they are having a good sale to keep things moving, but I think it’s going to be awhile until they get to it as it sounds like they are working with a skeleton crew mostly manufacturing PPE (that’s great!). The Cortech Piuma jacket with the armor will suffice for these hot months. Cortech seems to make good gear at good prices.

7 hours ago, Kane said:

It’s really important to be happy! And your back protector looks like a good piece. Along those lines, a lot of retailers are closing out the Cortech Piuma jackets. These are mesh hot weather jackets with leather bits for protection and equipped with CE elbow, shoulder, and back protectors. I think they were $300+ jackets when in production and I got one from Revzilla for $179. The fit is just ok for me, but I really needed something for the summer heat we’re in now, and I wanted the elbow, shoulder and back protectors. My main riding  jacket is an old-school Cal-Leather jacket. It’s a hot and heavy beast. Thick horse hide, but too hot right now, and old-school “we don’t need no stinking armor!” I have a jacket and riding pants being made for me by Vanson as they are having a good sale to keep things moving, but I think it’s going to be awhile until they get to it as it sounds like they are working with a skeleton crew mostly manufacturing PPE (that’s great!). The Cortech Piuma jacket with the armor will suffice for these hot months. Cortech seems to make good gear at good prices.

I have an inner peace (when I allow it) that is out of this world. I am happier after three cancers than an awful lot of folks are with none. Belief, attitude and perspective.

Being patient (and retired), I picked up a new Spidi mesh jacket for $55 +sh on eBay and another textile for $79 shipped. In the long run, they are simply fairly nice Italian-styled Chinese jackets. 

Screen%20Shot%202020-07-31%20at%2012.01.Screen%20Shot%202020-07-30%20at%2011.56.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, po18guy said:

I have an inner peace (when I allow it) that is out of this world. I am happier after three cancers than an awful lot of folks are with none. Belief, attitude and perspective.

:bier: :race: 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kane said:

:bier: :race: 

It helps - like this morning when I checked tire pressures before heading out. Rear @25. Hmmmm. Nail. Looks like some slime is in my future.

Aerostich R-3 with competition back protector,

Dainese  perforated jacket and pants with back protector and chest protector 

Several boots....including Daytona’s .
Held , A- Stars and Areostich Gloves