mods for encroaching geriatrics

jami

I have a 2003 Rosso Corsa, which I've had for 12 years and dearly love.  However, the ergonomics are getting a little challenging for my 64-year old neck and left knee.  What are anyone's recommendations re risers for the clip-ons vs. handlebars (if even possible?), and moving pegs forward a bit?  I'll also have to engage in a cost-benefit analysis, ie, if one method cost a lot and only gets me 2 more years on the bike, I'd have to think long and hard about it, as opposed to some method getting me 5 more years on the bike, for instance.  Even now, I just ride it on dayrides no longer than 6-8 hours - haven't taken it on a multi-day, all-day ride in "awhile".  LOL.  I have a BMW F700GS that has no soul but is a good tool for roadtrips.  I CANNOT part with the Rosso - I still love it dearly and we've had some great adventures together, which are NOT finished.  

Thank you!!!  

do what you gotta do !  

Do you go to a chiro ? Start . Talk to him/her about things and get recommendations ! 

I have gone to a chiro since I was born , w/o one I would not be able to move . Until I get them replaced I get Cortisone shots in my knees every 91 days . I know what pain feels like . 

Start working out , lose weight ( if you need to ) and get a positive attitude . 

As far as the modifications , I hope others will jump in on this . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jami said:

I have a 2003 Rosso Corsa, which I've had for 12 years and dearly love.  However, the ergonomics are getting a little challenging for my 64-year old neck and left knee.  What are anyone's recommendations re risers for the clip-ons vs. handlebars (if even possible?), and moving pegs forward a bit?  I'll also have to engage in a cost-benefit analysis, ie, if one method cost a lot and only gets me 2 more years on the bike, I'd have to think long and hard about it, as opposed to some method getting me 5 more years on the bike, for instance.  Even now, I just ride it on dayrides no longer than 6-8 hours - haven't taken it on a multi-day, all-day ride in "awhile".  LOL.  I have a BMW F700GS that has no soul but is a good tool for roadtrips.  I CANNOT part with the Rosso - I still love it dearly and we've had some great adventures together, which are NOT finished.  

Thank you!!!  

So I have to agree that if you've done all you can in a personal physical sense to keep ride fit then some mods might be in order, but seriously managing 6-8 hour rides at our kind of ages is pretty good with regards to the suitability of the bike ergo's. Just make it your short ride bike and the BMW the road trip bike. There's no law saying a bike needs to be ride-able for 8 hours per day for X days. If I used your criteria for my bikes I'd have none at all and I would never have bought my 1000ss and 1198. Short rides have been my preference for at least the last 20 years and back in the mid 80's I did two 3 month trips around Europe and Britain with my wife living off the bikes, each trip doing around 25,000 klms.

My dream is to tour Europe again in a motor home with something like a BMW R1200GS in the back. Stop and find a place to base yourself for a week and then do day trips on the bike around the local area seeing the sights. 250 klms a day max.

Anyway, back to the point. If you can manage 6-8 hours on the V11 over a day and feel decent after it you're doing ok. Save the Guzzi for the fun short day rides and the BMW for the multi day trips. 

Ciao  

• Like 5

I hear ya Jami. I'm 70 and possibly more fortunate physically than some. What Phil says makes sense. I'm not sure I'd ride anything for 8 hrs without something hurting. I got used to the stock LeMans and wouldn't change it. If I ever get to the point of not being able to safely ride her, she'll be parked in the living room.

My longer ride bike is a Yamaha FJ09. Fast, comfy, reliable. But, not Italian..:unsure:

Best I ever did was 875 miles in one day - but that was on a Yamaha TX650 (XS650). 42 years ago. Anyway, I have a set of Motobits forward mount pegs that are pretty decent.  I can post up some pics.

EDIT: Failed to note for the OP that the lowered/forward pegs are off the bike and in a box and if he is interested, we can talk about them. I am also in Washington State, so not all that far away.

49 minutes ago, po18guy said:

Best I ever did was 875 miles in one day - but that was on a Yamaha TX650 (XS650). 42 years ago. Anyway, I have a set of Motobits forward mount pegs that are pretty decent.  I can post up some pics.

That's a big day for sure. I reflected once on my Euro trips and long haul rides in general and came to the conclusion that back then it was about a couple of things. One, "being different" and two the challenge of the journey facing the "elements" that those in cars and tour busses would shy away from. A bit like the guy in the wild west that crossed the country on a horse as opposed to a stage coach or a train I guess.

Now days I'm indistinguishable from the hoard of middle to past middle age "born again" bikers and that depresses me. I weathered the storm of negative comments and attitudes from  "sensible people"  for 30 years that either gave up riding or didn't ride in the first place but at least I felt like a bit of a Maverick, someone that took his own path and stuff the rest of you.

Now I'm just identified as some old guy that's having a delayed middle aged crisis with all the BMW, Harley and mega dollar Ducati Panagale posers at the coffee shop sipping lattes and discussing share portfolios, damn it. People like us should have something to identify us as "worriers for the cause" that sacrificed for years so all the relative new comers could enjoy respect and equality from polite society. 

Have i gotten off track? 

Ciao   

• Like 2

Not at all . 

There is a reality we cannot escape . being able to run with children ALL day long in the hills of Giant City State Park , hauling hay or cutting tobacco , going from a 6 shooter to a single shot , etc. 

I had a friend that was on the back of a boat at Green Turtle Bay with some friends late one afternoon . He remarked to all the men standing around the stern , "do you realize we used to talk about all the drugs we were taking , and now 40 yrs later we're doing the same thing but for a different reason" !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I was a young pup of 60 or so, my neck and wrist pain took me away from sport bikes. Tried a cruiser. Hated it. I *thought* I was in good shape physically, but a personal trainer disabused me of that notion. He said my core strength sucked, and would get me back on sport bikes and road bicycles in short order. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger..:rasta: but he was right.

• Like 1

I'm 51, and 2 hours on the LeMans is enough for me. PO installed 2" risers on mine, extended hydro lines too. While they were a little more comfortable, the bike had electrical malfunctions. Sometimes wouldn't start or crank and might die when at a stop. I figured the wires were stretched as he didn't lengthen them. Brake and clutch reservoirs would rub fairing and he buggered the aluminum mounting bracket so it wouldn't hit the fairing. Took them off and the electrical gremlins pretty much disappeared. And, it handled better too. Even though it was a little more comfortable, I like it stock better, mainly because of the better handling. As others have mentioned, it's a short trip bike for me. I have a Buell Ulysses with luggage and throttle lock  for the longer rides. Although, I'm lusting at the new V85tt's 🥴

• Like 2

Any time you do anything to a bike , you have to look at ALL the side affects . Look at all the wiring routing and connections . 

AFA the v85 ,  You can $atisfy that lu$t any time you want . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, biesel said:

When I had me V11 Le Mans Rosso Corsa, I mounted DÄS-Mototec handlebars.
You can see them here:

They are quite expensive but were worth every cent.
https://shop.daes-mototec.com/de/Fahrwerk-7/Lenker/DAeS-Lenkerstummel-Kit-fuer-MOTO-GUZZI-V11-Le-Mans--alle-Mod--V11-Coppa-Italia---Scura---Naked-02-.html

I *think* I have a set of these in a box somewhere... that I meant to install.  I found the instructions as I was going through and organizing my documentation for the LeMans the other night.

Did you have to raise the forks in the triples at all or very much to get the clamps on the forks above the triples?  I think I remember looking at them and noting that they were taller than the OEM bar clamps.

There are a LOT of Youtube videos dealing with getting  / keeping in shape for riding ( crotch rocket style ) bikes . Too many to single out one or two to post . You can go to a gym to be competitive , stay home and MacGyver it if you have a good imagination . There is one thing for certain , maintain a habit of exercises . 

You are going to have to go after specific areas to improve . I am starting in the morning !

• Haha 1