thread locker

footgoose

6 hours ago, docc said:

45-50 Nm = 33-37 ft-lbs should be fine then?

I do think it would have been fine, if I had not used the loctite. And, yes, 45 ft-lbs seems a plenty for a 10mm bolt. But, that's what the manual said. They really should have used a nut instead of  threading into cast aluminum. There's alot of things all manufacturers should have done, but didn't, lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, docc said:

During a recent challenge with a spark plug stuck in the head of my BMW ///M roadster, I was surprised to learn that lubricated threads can lower the acceptable torque by one third.

That translates to my having done a lot of significant over-torquing! :blush:

Yes docc lubrication on any threads alters the torque by a significant margin. Thats why angle torquing is more accurate than torquing and stretch the best of all. Carrillo rod bolts have both a torque and stretch figure so you can apply a torque and check the stretch is within limits. Stretch is independent of lubrication unlike torque. NGK doesn't recommend anti seize on plugs. They say their plug plating is designed to be an anti seize/corrosion coating.

Ciao

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Yes docc lubrication on any threads alters the torque by a significant margin. Thats why angle torquing is more accurate than torquing and stretch the best of all. Carrillo rod bolts have both a torque and stretch figure so you can apply a torque and check the stretch is within limits. Stretch is independent of lubrication unlike torque. NGK doesn't recommend anti seize on plugs. They say their plug plating is designed to be an anti seize/corrosion coating.

Ciao

This is what I learned of the Bosch plugs I use in the roadster. (Rather the hard way).

• Like 1

All this 100k+ spark plug service BS will bite you in the butt . I've seen them so tight I thought they would twist off when removing them .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gstallons said:

All this 100k+ spark plug service BS will bite you in the butt . I've seen them so tight I thought they would twist off when removing them .

Yes it doesn't help the situation.

Ciao

9 hours ago, docc said:

This is what I learned of the Bosch plugs I use in the roadster. (Rather the hard way).

Here's my little spark plug collection I keep in a glass display case in the family room along with some of my "engineering" pieces, tragic I know but it's the way I roll.

Left to right......... aircraft, aircraft, aircraft, old lodge automotive with a knurled nut for the HT lead, automotive later Lodge, a Bosch and a KLG. 

DSC01102.JPG

Ciao

• Like 2