Shock

Steve S

2 hours ago, mjseymo said:

No! Replace at all costs. Had this happen my v11. Grease the new pivot bolt well.

Good advice!  :thumbsup:  I made sure this  got added to the Wheels Off Maintenance Checklist:luigi:

What are the currently available shock replacements for the V11?

Is the Öhlins unit available once again?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gstallons said:

This is a stupid ?  Can a super welder TIG it or something ?

*I don't know* but I'm betting if it's cracked it is hardened. In that case, no.

• Like 1

I would be afraid to try to weld it. That might actually make it worse.

The stock shock isn't very good anyway. So replacing the stock shock is your best option. You fix the seriously dangerous issue of the shock eyelet failing and you will probably get a better shock in the deal.

The wife's V11 has a Penske shock in the back. Way better than the stock shock. But there are other less expensive options that will still be better than stock.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 4:28 PM, Tinknocker said:

Is this problem with the Sachs White Power shock, and top or bottom? I have an 02 LeMans.

So, the original Sachs used throughout the V11 range does have a white spring, but not built by White Power/WP (as was fitted to earlier Sport 1100) were fitted to V11 (as far as I know), even though early press materials said that.

I am pretty sure it is the lower (rear) attachment at the swingarm that is most susceptible as that pivot resides just above the rear tire and exposed to the elements.

On 7/22/2020 at 5:15 PM, docc said:

So, the original Sachs used throughout the V11 range does have a white spring, but not built by White Power/WP (as was fitted to earlier Sport 1100) were fitted to V11 (as far as I know), even though early press materials said that.

I am pretty sure it is the lower (rear) attachment at the swingarm that is most susceptible as that pivot resides just above the rear tire and exposed to the elements.

Ok, thanks docc. I will retain that in the theater of my mind. I mentioned White Power because it was specifically referred to as such in the owners manual.

42 minutes ago, Tinknocker said:

Ok, thanks docc. I will retain that in the theater of my mind. I mentioned White Power because it was specifically referred to as such in the owners manual.

Yep. And in lots of the early published materials. Perhaps a very few of the 1999 models released in Europe could have had them leftover from the Sport 1100/1100 Sport-i ?  :huh2:

Otherwise, seems all the US V11 got the Sachs.

I went looking for images and posts about the broken eye and ran out of steam (or patience). Still, pretty sure it is the swingarm attachment that is vulnerable. That is the pivot bolt that should be regularly cleaned and greased.

I am pretty sure I still have our original shock with the cracked eyelet sitting around. And I believe docc is right, it was the lower eyelet that would crack.

My Daytona has a really nice WP shock, with a remote preload adjuster and all, that came stock on it. But the stock shock for the V11 was a Sachs  shock as mentioned, it wasn't a very good shock and it has a very bad habit if the lower eyelet cracking. If Guzzi were a bigger company like Honda the shock probably would have been a recall, the failure rate is kinda high.

• Thanks 1