diagnostic cable availability

cosmo

I've been trying to find a 3 pin to obd2 cable everywhere. The one I purchased for Fiat which I thought would work has an incorrect 3 pin plug on it. Larger, and with "ridged guides" inside than the one on the bike which has no ridges. Every one that I look at seems to look like the one I purchased with the larger plug. I'm at a loss without a name for my style plug although no one seems to list what style plug is on the cable they're selling anyway. Anyone know where I might find this cable? My bike is popping/mildly backfiring under neutral/very slight deceleration throttle. Been through tune up 3 times, sprayed intake and smoke checked exhaust for leaks twice. Read CO setting may cause this so I'm trying to get into ecu. Still not sure of throttle position sensor. In tune up post by docc it mentions "smooth" transition of the readings. Still not sure of exactly what smooth translates to. I'll look for more info on that $350 part diagnosis. Thanks

4 hours ago, cosmo said:

I've been trying to find a 3 pin to obd2 cable everywhere. The one I purchased for Fiat which I thought would work has an incorrect 3 pin plug on it. Larger, and with "ridged guides" inside than the one on the bike which has no ridges. Every one that I look at seems to look like the one I purchased with the larger plug. I'm at a loss without a name for my style plug although no one seems to list what style plug is on the cable they're selling anyway. Anyone know where I might find this cable? My bike is popping/mildly backfiring under neutral/very slight deceleration throttle. Been through tune up 3 times, sprayed intake and smoke checked exhaust for leaks twice. Read CO setting may cause this so I'm trying to get into ecu. Still not sure of throttle position sensor. In tune up post by docc it mentions "smooth" transition of the readings. Still not sure of exactly what smooth translates to. I'll look for more info on that $350 part diagnosis. Thanks

Lonelec in UK has been, perhaps, the most reliable cable source over time. This link is for the set of two (including both the adapter cable and the FTDI chipped OBD->USB):

https://www.lonelec.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=57_20&product_id=51

Regarding the comment on "smooth transition," this refers to checking resistance across the TPS while slowly opening and closing it. The values should transition smoothly with no jumps, skips, or opens (broken contact) that would indicate a faulty TPS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, docc said:

Lonelec in UK has been, perhaps, the most reliable cable source over time. This link is for the set of two (including both the adapter cable and the FTDI chipped OBD->USB):

https://www.lonelec.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=57_20&product_id=51

^^^^This

• Thanks 1

Well gstallons,  you've shown up twice now to help. I now have to picture you riding up out of a rising sun astride a large , white , snorting motorcycle , with a tin badge on your chest with a big G. Not for gstallons, but for Genius. Yes, I said it again. Thank you for your imput again my friend. I'll look into it today. Happy trails ! 
 And docc, thank you for your imput also. You also wear a big G tin badge. I just enjoy poking fun at my friend gstallons..:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry, l didn't thank 80CX100. Thank you also sir. In reference to the tps  I was able to get a smoother number transition after another go. To get it to move through the thousandths and hundredths of a volt slowly takes an extremely light hand. Especially for a heavy handed fellow like me who never learned how to twist a throttle slowly. With my new touch I may now be qualified for brain surgery.  I am considering the tps as okay.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cosmo said:

Sorry, l didn't thank 80CX100. Thank you also sir. In reference to the tps  I was able to get a smoother number transition after another go. To get it to move through the thousandths and hundredths of a volt slowly takes an extremely light hand. Especially for a heavy handed fellow like me who never learned how to twist a throttle slowly. With my new touch I may now be qualified for brain surgery.  I am considering the tps as okay.

I could never get my (pretty decent Triplett) voltmeter be sensitive enough in millivolts to catch a bad TPS. Yet, checking resistance in a sensitive Ohm range caught a couple bad TPS over the years. One showed a consistent *jump* in the resistance, both up and down, at a particular point of the throttle plate. The other went open at a particular point (no contact).

Thank you sir. I will check the resistance. I'm going to have to get a batch of tin BIG G badges made and start sending them out.

• Haha 1

An analog meter is a better way to check tps sensors. A bad spot will be seen as a needle blip when a faulty  sensor is  moved through the full sweep. DMM's may or may not show a bad spot with a faulty tps, due to some technical explanation I can't remember 🤔

I find analog vm's great to show readings of smooth operation etc, but for measuring very fine precise mv's measurements, my digital meter is much preferred.

What I did find very helpful in getting an accurate setting and good tune up, was making my TPS adjustments guided by my digital vm, but then verifying the final setting with the throttle angle displayed on guzzidiag.

Apparently guzzidiag will not read the minute voltages accurately, but it DOES read the throttle plate angle correctly.

fwiw ymmv

Kelly

3 hours ago, cosmo said:

I'm going to have to get a batch of tin BIG G badges made and start sending them out.

I'll take a couple dozen of those badges if you get them done up, please and thank you,lol.

As a mechanical, electrical & digital Luddite, I owe much gratitude to members of the guzzi community, from literally the 4 corners of the globe.

The bikes are a special breed, most of them running in tip top order, due in large part to the community support, which is way beyond special.

Tks

Kelly

• Like 1

Apparently guzzidiag will not read the minute voltages accurately, but it DOES read the throttle plate angle correctly.

Oh, it reads minute voltages ok, but the "break points" are too large down at idle, as far as I remember.

• Like 1

A TPS is a potentiometer . You are using your meter to find a glitch . These glitches are going to usually exist at the position they usually operate at .  

you don't need a Ouija board , divining rods or a peach tree limb , just a meter , a little knowledge and some confidence . 

Watch a few videos , Google ''pots" and think about what you are seeing happen . This will be easier to test than you think . Just remember to move this throttle slowly while you test . 

Also , get one of those diagnostic cables mentioned on this site that is used to set tps voltage . It will make things much easier !

• Like 2