Winkie time: failed phase sensor

Tomchri

Last tuning she was running fine, time for a test between shovers. Made it to the gas station, 2miles and she died. Back home in the van.

Fuel pump and everything else seemed normal. New relays, and she fires right up.

Back in with old relays, and fires right up again. Ok, NOT easy to troubleshot when there is no fault. Few miles, and back in the van. I'm loosing spark. Have been thinking of getting rid of the clutch handle switch for a while, happened today. One of the 2 connectors was a little loose. Isn't that switch just for starting ? Coud the switch still make her loose spark when she is getting warm?

Have spark again now, but it's time to follow Kiwi Roy's advice.

Winkie day on friday. Still in good mode so basic sharing experiences.

Cheers Tom f09bfdec18fba70453ada38f44cd04f9.jpgdc198219e0e9f984db3e15eb2593fe1e.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A505FN via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Correct, faulty clutch switch is only for starting. 

Nothing wrong with having a proper Go_Winkie. Kiwi_Roy likes to say it separates V11 electrical troubleshooting in half.

Perhaps this is a good time to inspect, clean, and service the Ignition Switch. . .

• Thanks 1

Wiring was all good, copper surface other side, not to bad, now cleaened and vaseline.
Will change a green and white wire between relay 1 and 2, ,, have to get it first. Still in good mode.
Cheers Tom. 83af069274ca265fa3f9d0f2fe75b7f3.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A505FN via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Died while riding along in gear?

Shifting to neutral bypasses the Sidestand Switch.

Inspect, clean, and service the Run (“kill”) Switch and its connections?

17 minutes ago, hammershaug said:

My ignition switch had just been replaced when I bought the Greenie. Is it a common weakness? 

Wish for a speedy recovery to the Rosso! Summer is long, Tom.

Solder joints have been found failed or failing at the ignition switch. Also, later V11 run the starting current through the switch (instead of the early V11 using a relay) which stresses the switch further.

It is very common to find the contact grease dirty/hardened and interfering with contact.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, docc said:

Died while riding along in gear?

Shifting to neutral bypasses the Sidestand Switch.

Inspect, clean, and service the Run (“kill”) Switch and its connections?

First time died in front of the gas pump in neutral,,, just about to hit the switch,, didn't have to :rasta:.  Second time running slow in 3'rd.    I know I helped every possible connections not long ago,, I have a look tomorrow at the kill switch - sidestand.

Cheers tom.

• Like 2

"Kill" Switch gets power from the Sidestand Switch with stand up and from the gearbox Neutral Switch/Relay#3 in neutral. Since yours died in both neutral and in gear, worth addressing the Run/"kill" Switch. Easy to get to, inspect->clean->.Caig DeOxit . . .

You have tightened your relay bases as Kiwi_Roy has helped us to understand?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hammershaug said:

My ignition switch had just been replaced when I bought the Greenie. Is it a common weakness? 

Wish for a speedy recovery to the Rosso! Summer is long, Tom.

When you look at the wiring coming out from the switch,,, every time from right to left with the handle bars, makes unnesseserly stress on the cables.   What I did,,,  gave the cables some  room and strapped them at the switch, not perfect, but relieves the stress on the soldering.    

Cheers tom

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, docc said:

"Kill" Switch gets power from the Sidestand Switch with stand up and from the gearbox Neutral Switch/Relay#3 in neutral. Since yours died in both neutral and in gear, worth addressing the Run/"kill" Switch. Easy to get to, inspect->clean->.Caig DeOxit . . .

You have tightened your relay bases as Kiwi_Roy has helped us to understand?

Thanks Docc, will check kill switch to.   My relays sits actually tight in all the vaseline in the base, but will at least change one cable between relay 1 and 2,,,, to stiff.

Cheers tom.

• Like 1

Sorry IDK right now, just happy it came with the bike.  Are they all a little of ,, looking from behind. Have seen other bike,, bikes with the same fender on the forum,  some euro company ?? memory thing  :rasta:         Will report if memory.

Cheers tom.    

54 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Well , the suspense is killing me . What is a Go_Winkie and what do you do with it ?

-

Short answer: a light illuminated by the wiring harness that is everything but Fuel Injection/Ignition (that is a completely separate wiring harness through fuses 1&2 and Relays 4&5.  It is common to power the "Go_Winkie" from the last fuse location (Fuse 8 on early V11/ power for the electric petcock).

DSCN401901.jpg

gallery_328_223_16716.png