Winkie time: failed phase sensor

Tomchri

Quick experience sharing again in Luigis world. Didn't make winkie lights today, but sure she is ready for a trip tomorrow,,, when sobering up. Nothing wrong with the rest of the electrical system. Relay 1 feeds that and the whole trip, did change 1 wire in the relay base, cooked down to 2 things, either ECU or cam sensor. Another faulty sensor. And my broken ones,they measure 648 and 671 when cold, zero when warm.  Have a good feeling she be fine tomorrow.     Only 4.10am .    

Cheers tom.

• Like 4

YES, had a good ride today, and it feels great to have solved the issue. I know I won't manage 156.25mv,,,, but will toy a little bit more with the TPS,, runs strong how.  Yes learned a bit more. Will enjoy my IPA very relaxed tonight.  

Happy riding guys :rasta:.

Cheers tom.

7 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

YES, had a good ride today, and it feels great to have solved the issue. I know I won't manage 156.25mv,,,, but will toy a little bit more with the TPS,, runs strong how.  Yes learned a bit more. Will enjoy my IPA very relaxed tonight.  

Happy riding guys :rasta:.

Cheers tom.

And this was (another) failed cam timing sensor?

First failure was incorrect clearence,, no clearance. I'm suprised it lasted that long, po rode may be 2000m, and I about the same before failure. Just had to drop in the next one up in the mountains, to get home. Took it out and made clearance. It lasted another 2000m, before failure. BUT a close look yesterday reviels a tiny touchmark, so probably marked it, on the 60m trip home. 2 destroyed because of wrong clearence.  I have a couple  on order,  for a Fiat I think. 

Cheers tom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The sensor gap should be between 0.6 and 1.2mm. Its really hard to measure in situ, this is how I do mine.

Stick a small blob of JB Kwik on the tip and bolt it in place, don't turn the motor.

Allow time for it to set up, pull the sensor out again and measure the thickness of the epoxy.

As for making the sensor oil tight, i'm convinced the oil leaks through the sensor not around it. I took to carrying a spare sensor in the Monkey Paw trap there's absolutely nothing you can do on the road if the sensor fails open.

I don't have a VII any more but I have a two Valve Griso, it can be just as frustrating.

I'm pleased to see some of you are still using the Go Winkie as Docc calls it to instantly troubleshoot a bad contact in the wiring to the ECU relay, I remember finding mine at about half brightness when the stand switch was acting up.

Cheers

Roy

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

After twenty one years and 80,000 miles it looks like the sensor has given up. There is no resistance between any pins and any pin to ground. The sensor has three pins at the  plug. No two pairs show resistance, nor is there resistance from any pin to ground. How do you folks confirm the sensor is dead? I am showing the female side of the plug in case the wire colors can help. I am testing the male side. Boy, I miss being able to swing by Moto International and get some hep from Dave Richardson!

Second - assuming it is dead, which after-market sensor should I look for? Apparently it is a part that cars use and I can find it at a car parts store.

Thanks for your help

Guzzi Sensor Female Plug.jpg

8 hours ago, CagivaRider said:

After twenty one years and 80,000 miles it looks like the sensor has given up. There is no resistance between any pins and any pin to ground. The sensor has three pins at the  plug. No two pairs show resistance, nor is there resistance from any pin to ground. How do you folks confirm the sensor is dead? I am showing the female side of the plug in case the wire colors can help. I am testing the male side. Boy, I miss being able to swing by Moto International and get some hep from Dave Richardson!

Second - assuming it is dead, which after-market sensor should I look for? Apparently it is a part that cars use and I can find it at a car parts store.

Thanks for your help

If you have open circuit between all 3 pins, it's dead-dead. 

As @Tomchrimentioned above, this is a very common Fiat sensor. *IN EUROPE*. As it turns out, *no* fiat or any other car that uses this sensor was ever sold in the Western Hemisphere- I spent literally days hunting it. Not available in the U.S. except through Italian motorcycle distribution (expensive) I bought one on eBay for $18 from Romania. Sure would be nice if we had a steady European source. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CagivaRider said:

Is there a part number or other way of knowing what to buy?

I will start my search today.

Thank you all.

Been a week on the road in Germany, will let you know tomorrow. 

Cheers Tom. 

• Thanks 1

It's a Magneti Marelli SEN813.

Kiwi_Roy posted this in 2017 - The link is still good:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRANKSHAFT-SENSOR-ALFA-ROMEO-145-146-1-4-FIAT-Tempra-Tipo-1-8-LANCIA-/251703577340?

This is the exact same part mine arrived quickly direct fit £24.96 as opposed to over £130 from Guzzi I had to really look hard for it I have told the seller and he is going to add the Bike  OR SEN-813 to make it easier to find this sensor is fitted to a whole load of Guzzis V11 series and all these

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/16/2022 at 4:55 AM, Pressureangle said:

As @Tomchrimentioned above, this is a very common Fiat sensor. *IN EUROPE*. As it turns out, *no* fiat or any other car that uses this sensor was ever sold in the Western Hemisphere- I spent literally days hunting it. Not available in the U.S. except through Italian motorcycle distribution (expensive) I bought one on eBay for $18 from Romania. Sure would be nice if we had a steady European source. 

FWIW, I found this distributor in the UK with fair pricing & shipping to US.

https://www.diycarserviceparts.co.uk/intermotor-crank-sensor-18783.html 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Good to see things are under control with the rev sensor, and good pricing. And now is the time to make a simple tool like I did to set the clearance.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

I can see why the cam sensor quit working :o. The break was under a secondary wrap of electrical tape. I put in the new sensor and have spark again. I should have it back together this weekend. 

[edit, October 5: "The insulation was rock hard. The break was right at where it was tie-wrapped to the frame. It was probably just twenty years of vibration and heat. "

Sensor 1.jpg

Sensor 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...