SPEEDOMETER CABLE UPDATE KIT: V11 SPORT V11 LEMANS

Mikko

Hrmm, I may have to look into that as a cost effective proactive item as I rehab mine in the coming months.  I've already started a stockpile of little parts.

My original angle drive hasn't yet come apart, but it's been sitting for years and based on reports seems to be almost inevitable. 

Anyone have any experience with this MG Cycle part?

I was busy spending money while the wallet was still smoldering and seen this on their site. I remember reading that quite a few people were having issues.. and this is listed as a “new product” sharing is caring...

I would think that is a replacement cable for the early V11s  using angle drives and the white face Veglia. While the angle drives are nefarious for various failures, I don't recall the early cables being an issue. Replacement angle drives are available through MG cycle, IIRC.

Later V11 with black face ITI instruments have "bent-tube"  cable ends that eliminate the sketchy angle drives. These cables have been known to fail fairly routinely.

I would be uncertain that this replacement cable would clear the throttle linkage without the angle drive or the "bent-tube." :huh2:

1 hour ago, docc said:

I would think that is a replacement cable for the early V11s  using angle drives and the white face Veglia. While the angle drives are nefarious for various failures, I don't recall the early cables being an issue. Replacement angle drives are available through MG cycle, IIRC.

Later V11 with black face ITI instruments have "bent-tube"  cable ends that eliminate the sketchy angle drives. These cables have been known to fail fairly routinely.

I would be uncertain that this replacement cable would clear the throttle linkage without the angle drive or the "bent-tube." :huh2:

No idea without someone testing, but here is the description from MG Cycle, which suggests it is designed to fit:

SPEEDOMETER CABLE UPDATE KIT: V11 SPORT V11 LEMANS

PART NUMBER: 04768300.1

Speedometer cable update kit eliminates the fragile 60 degree angle drive gears on early V11 Sport and V11 LeMans models.  Simply remove your original speedometer cable and the angle drive unit at the transmission end, and install the new aluminum cable adapter and replacement cable instead. 

Moto Guzzi 1100 V11 Le Mans 2002
Moto Guzzi 1100 V11 Le Mans Naked 2001 - 2002
Moto Guzzi 1100 V11 Sport 1999 - 2001

Replaces discontinued OEM GU04768300 60 degree speedometer drive gear

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Al! So, definitely for early V11. Interesting idea to eliminate the angle drive.

It's all about whether there is reliable clearance for the throttle rod . . .

• 2 months later...

I've just order one via Peter Kelly at Moto Kiwi. He has found a supplier in Italy. Similar price to MG Cycle. Hopefully this cures my crazy speedo. Calm one minute swinging from left to right the next.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Fitted new speedo cable at weekend.

One major problem

Its to short

If you fit it without the odometer gear it presses against the rod that links the 2 fuel injection units which affects the idle speed

I ended up fitting the odometer gear which gave me to much length so I re-routed cable under the air box

Worst of all it didn't fix the the crazy speedo.

Anyone want a used speedo cable. Only done 70,000 ks?

• Confused 1